CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

water injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016 | 12:07 PM

SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
water injection

Did a search and could find nothing.

Anyone here try water injection (actually mix of water and methanol) on the TTV12?

A lot of you can find 93 octane. Around here 91 is the best I can get. Thinking that the knock sensors are dialing back the timing and costing some hp under heavy boost.

Seems like it would be pretty simple to hook up an independent pump that could inject a small amount of the mix into the intake system only when under boost. Auto switch to turn on the pump at X psi boost, and anti siphon valves in each line.

Anyone tried it?
Old 03-15-2016 | 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
There are some good kits out there that make adding really simple, but I haven't tried it on my CL. From what I've seen in the past I'm sure it would help. Highest octane at the pump where I am is 90 so I know what you mean about lost power. If you decide to do it post up your results.
Old 04-18-2016 | 12:41 PM

C230k, ML350, and CL600
I was also thinking of doing this. I have a water/methanol injection system on my Turbo Camaro and you can really feel when it kicks in. The cooling is incredible for IAT and knock prevention.

I just don't know where I could tap into the engine bay for electricity to run the pump. Otherwise I would do it too.
Old 04-18-2016 | 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Spent most of this weekend installing a Killer Chiller. I'll post up some results of how the IAT's do with that in the next couple weeks. I'm stuck with only 90 at the pump so I really need all the help I can get too. I wanted a "no maintenance" solution. I know adding water/meth is not a big deal, but it is one more thing you have to do.
Old 04-18-2016 | 06:53 PM

SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
Very cool. Look forward to updates.

90 at the pump? That is even worse than here in OK. I can get 91. At least I can still find 100% gas.
Old 04-20-2016 | 09:53 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
I'm running water injection on my CL55 right now. Keeps IATs under control. Honestly I need a smarter controller but if I'm sitting in traffic and IATs climb over a certain level all I have to do is give it a good amount of gas and the boost will trigger it and cool my intakes down. Also I am running dual nozzles. One prior to my supercharger and one after my intercooler. This keeps both my IATs and Supercharger temps lower so my engine bay heat doesn't get out of control. For the V12TT I'm not sure where your IAT sensor is but anything prior to it seems like a good bet. Also will probably need a smarter controller than mine. I have a snow performance stage 2 system. May want to look into Aquamist, heard they have the best electronics.

Oh and finally I run mine through the washer fluid reservoir and my system is only for cooling and no tune so I don't get incredibly particular about the water to methanol ratio. Generally keep it about 70 water and 30 methanol though. Hope this helped a little.