CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

first Mercedes in the house

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2016 | 07:38 PM

03 CL600
first Mercedes in the house

Thanks to all who have suffered through my new guy posts of late. I recently purchased an 04 CL600 from a Dealer. I knew it had some issues, and we worked out a deal.

The story is they took it on trade some time ago. Then they wanted too much for it,, so it sat on the lot. Next they had an offer, contingent upon a Mercedes dealer check out. Where the bad trans was identified. That deal fell through, but the trans was rebuilt and has a 3 year warranty. Then they poked a hole in the radiator putting it back together. So it got a new radiator. At this point I made an offer. They declined.

So a couple of months later, the dealer decided to bail out of it and sent it to auction. Where it was vandalized. Mostly cosmetic damage in the interior. I made a deal and had it shipped to me.

Somewhere along the way the aux radiator was removed. Which I didn't learn of until after I got it home and it spewed coolant in front of my house after the drive around the block.

I just took it out for an hour long drive up and down a local back county highway. I have all the minor niggles resolved; no codes or warning lights. 1 malfunction....rear plate light out. Car ran well, and everything seems to work. No drips, leaks, weird noises, etc. seems like a great highway machine. I've had plenty of old school hot rods and built lots of cars and bikes. I even work on old airplanes. But never anything with this much technology on board.

I also picked up a mighty vac engine oil sucker. Wow. Super easy. Who knew. I can use this on the airplane and my race car. Great tip.

It's a pretty cool car. And the forum here seems to be a good place to keep learning. Lots of experience for sure.
Old 12-05-2016 | 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Welcome ! Post some pics !
Old 12-05-2016 | 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Welcome again. There's loads of help here, which is just as well....

Look through the stickies and encyclopaedias, and make sure you read these:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.co.uk/

Nick