ABS White "Visit Workshop" Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB CL600, Audi RS6 and Porsche Cayenne S
ABS White "Visit Workshop" Message

Hey folks,

Trust me, I've read up on this issue so do see my post as lazy. Been down the ABS road with my now gone S55 and am addressing it again in my 2005 CL600 with 48K miles. Fortunately, its under full warranty, but still the issue is not resolved.

A few months back I went over a highway dip at high speed and when I exited the highway at the light I heard and felt a pop in the footwell. Red ABS light came on and all fluid dropped. Got towed immediately. Whatever fluid was put in, raised the car and then all came out immediately.

Had the major pressure lines all replaced, got a new dual tandem pump which I didn't think was needed, got a bunch of other stuff too which I can fill in later if relevant. The point is now I still get the white ABS light intermittently. If I restart the car it goes away, but I never once saw the light before this incident and after over 9 grand in repairs I don't want to see the light again.

I've gone back to the shop and they indicate there's no code stored and no faults so they don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

I love my car and it's been great to me aside from this incident which I think the shop has taken advantage of once they realized how cooperative my warranty company is.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
You mean ABC warning light not abs

plesse edit your title and post

Were your accumulators ever changed? sounds like you popped an accumulator during the hard bounce

i would be thrilled to have a warranty company willing to pay for all these repairs as the entire abc system does need to be repaired at this age especially the rubber hoses . I would try to get as much of the system replaced under warranty as possible . Who is your warranty company ?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes
You mean ABC warning light not abs

plesse edit your title and post

Were your accumulators ever changed? sounds like you popped an accumulator during the hard bounce

i would be thrilled to have a warranty company willing to pay for all these repairs as the entire abc system does need to be repaired at this age especially the rubber hoses . I would try to get as much of the system replaced under warranty as possible . Who is your warranty company ?
Actually, I blew the main hydraulic pressure hose on that bounce. They replaced it, then claimed they saw seepage from another hose which required dropping the subframe to replace. I went through Carchex and The Warranty Group is the administrator; BUT, they no longer cover any V12s. Fortunately, I'm covered for almost another 50K though what's the point if shops can't fix things correctly.

When they did round one or two of the repairs I complained of straining noise coming from the dual tandem pump area on what used to be a dead silent car. They took it back in replace a pulsation dampner on the front valve block and recommended 2 air cell accumulators stating that the new pump could cause noise. All was covered except the accumulators as they were not defective. Noise went away after dampner installed. Car never sags and never has, even when left in place for weeks or more.

Unfortunately, I can't edit my post title because you have replied.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Seepage is the early sign of hose failure so it's good you got new hoses

and the groaning is usually the pulsation damper so it's good you got that new too

was the pump a new oem pump or a China pump or rebuilt ? If rebuilt or China part , it may not be putting out sufficient pressure causing the warning

if you only did two accumulators and the pulsation damper there is more air cells that might need replacing .
the front and rear accumulators (You need two) is: A220-327-01-15

Be advised there are two other nitrogen spheres in the system as well. One is mounted to the pressure relief valve (Part #A220-327-02-15) which is found in the front right side of the vehicle.

The other is a small nitrogen chamber (Called an Air Cell) that sits near the fuel pump in the driver side mid/center of the vehicle, (Part #A220-320-04-15).

Last edited by tusabes; 02-10-2017 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
booesq (03-30-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
There should be a fault even for a white message. I was getting that on my car and it had a stored code for a level/plunger travel sensor issue. I performed the sensor calibration and did a little pitch cycle to dislodge any crud in the valves, hasn't come back since.
The following users liked this post:
booesq (03-30-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM

ABC OMG

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
There should be a fault even for a white message. I was getting that on my car and it had a stored code for a level/plunger travel sensor issue. I performed the sensor calibration and did a little pitch cycle to dislodge any crud in the valves, hasn't come back since.
So, over the past 6 months I've logged less than 100 miles on my car because the shop can't get the ABC system to work without fault. Each time I pick up my car, I get the white ABC message when I'm about half way home. I'm past the $10,000 mark by a wide margin and I'm beginning to fear the issue will never be fully sorted. I really love this car and I never got so much as a single ABC message until the incident that started it all when I blew the main hydraulic line after going over a large highway dip and high speed.

So far, not counting fluid, seal rings and other miscellaneous items, I've replaced:

(i) the main pressure line (220 320 29 72),
(ii) an additional pressure hose (220 460 41 24),
(iii) the dual tandem pump (003 466 52 01),
(iv) a pulsation dampener on the front valve block,
(v) an air cell on the return reservoir (220 320 04 15 -- accumulator),
(vi) an air cell on the air reservoir (220 327 01 15 -- accumulator),
(vii) the front suspension pressure relief valve unit (220 320 08 58), and
(viii) a front suspension distribution valve (220 320 12 58).

Each time I come back, there's a code and so a part gets replaced but other than getting new parts, I seem to still have the same old problem -- which as mentioned is new to my CL600 which was dealer serviced her entire life. Hard to draw any relationship between driving style and the light appearing, but I do feel it only happens on semi-hard accelleration.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My car never leaked, it never sags even when I leave the country for weeks, you get the idea. HELP!

I tell people if you can pick up a clean CL600 and have $10K to play with you will get more car for your money than anything out there, but I may have to retract that statement as it appears no amount of funds can solve my issues.

Oh, I forgot to mention that all parts are from Mercedes-Benz. Nothing aftermarket whatsoever.

Cheers!

Last edited by paperchase; 03-08-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
What is the actual fault when it happens?

Throwing parts at it is no good.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Does the suspension still feel correct and work correctly , despite the white message ?

You can just ignore the message or
maybe all you need is the strutmasters warning error delete
Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 AM

2003 CL500
The strutmasters warning delete module only deletes the red ABC message not the white.

Hey stop fighting with the ABC and do a coilover conversion
Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
What is the actual fault when it happens?

Throwing parts at it is no good.
I'll find out what the latest fault is and reply back.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes
Does the suspension still feel correct and work correctly , despite the white message ?

You can just ignore the message or
maybe all you need is the strutmasters warning error delete
It's floated like a Caddy when the white light last came on. The time before the message deleted on restart so I couldn't show it to the shop. This time I drove there immediately and there was a fault.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe.821
The strutmasters warning delete module only deletes the red ABC message not the white.

Hey stop fighting with the ABC and do a coilover conversion
My suspension was perfect before the main high pressure hose blew. Not one fault ever. Car has been dealer serviced since new. I have a full warranty that covers the repairs. The factory setup drives better than coilovers despite the maintenance cost. I didn't do coilovers in my RS6 which has no warranty so why do it here. Is there a benefit other than maintenance cost of which I am unaware?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by paperchase
I'll find out what the latest fault is and reply back.
So the code was for left front strut which is being replaced along with some line/hose which feeds it. Shop is telling me that when one part goes sometimes they all go and need replacing which I understand, except in my case I have full dealer service records which show that may parts were in fact recently replaced so it's not an old system that is per se crumbling apart.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Probably the travel sensor on the top of the strut, they did have an updated part on the early cars but your car is an '05 so you've already got the new design.