Indicators stopped working...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Indicators stopped working...

...in both mirrors.

In January I rebuilt (as you do) the seat switch modules found in each door. It was a simple job which required all plugs to be pulled off to allow the switch block to be removed. All went well except that on reassembly the left side indicator no longer worked. I wasn't bothered because when I got the car the driver's side didn't work and I traced a broken wire, so I thought that would be it.

Then two weeks ago I managed to wreck the driver's side mirror and needed to replace the mechanism...though the casing was unharmed. It arrived, I fitted it and (yes, you've guessed it) the indicator doesn't work.

It couldn't be a broken wire the part was new not used. My multi meter confirmed, for both sides, that power was getting through. Could it really be each of the LED units?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I can understand your confusion--the door control modules that you putezd with has nothing to do with the turn signal activation.

You have to have total LED failure for the lamps not to light, plus you would receive a bulb failure message.

As you have learned the turn signal activation circuit is simple--stalk--central gateway--front SAM--lamp on----I am also mystified by your comment that you have voltage at the lamp when you did not indicate how you accomplished that without moving the stalk into position.

You may need to consult with polka ***** at bens wurld!!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:21 PM

W215 CL500 2005
The indicators and the motors etc from the door mirrors each plug into the seat control modules.

I measured the voltage with a multimeter at the connection block inside the mirrors...with the indicator and the warning switches on (alternatively, not at the same time). I have narrowed it down to both led modules having failed.

I'll report back once I've tried a new one.

Always grateful for your input my dwarf star friend.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by renault12ts
The indicators and the motors etc from the door mirrors each plug into the seat control modules.

I measured the voltage with a multimeter at the connection block inside the mirrors...with the indicator and the warning switches on (alternatively, not at the same time). I have narrowed it down to both led modules having failed.

I'll report back once I've tried a new one.

Always grateful for your input my dwarf star friend.
these led lights don't run forever because of their on/off and water situation
you can find them on ebay for nothing

The following users liked this post:
renault12ts (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I can understand your confusion--the door control modules that you putezd with has nothing to do with the turn signal activation.

You have to have total LED failure for the lamps not to light, plus you would receive a bulb failure message.

As you have learned the turn signal activation circuit is simple--stalk--central gateway--front SAM--lamp on----I am also mystified by your comment that you have voltage at the lamp when you did not indicate how you accomplished that without moving the stalk into position.

You may need to consult with polka ***** at bens wurld!!
I moved the stalk into position...and also used the warning system...and yes the bulb failure lamp lights for both sides.

You have a wonderful way with words...but I don't think, in all the replies I have seen you make over the years, that you have ever actually helped anyone.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 CL500, '99 Chrysler Grand Voyager; LPG conversions on both
I moved the stalk into position...and also used the warning system...and yes the bulb failure lamp lights for both sides.
Hi,

did you reach a conclusion? I have the same problem, intermittent failure of one or both door repeaters, with bulb failure messages. I've had the wiring redone on the driver side, for both the door as well as internally in the mirror (the door wiring was clearly broken), but the problem persists. There can be weeks when everything is fine, then, without warning, one or the other or both go on the blink (not!).

Thanks, best,

-- Per
Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by perbilse
Hi,

did you reach a conclusion? I have the same problem, intermittent failure of one or both door repeaters, with bulb failure messages. I've had the wiring redone on the driver side, for both the door as well as internally in the mirror (the door wiring was clearly broken), but the problem persists. There can be weeks when everything is fine, then, without warning, one or the other or both go on the blink (not!).

Thanks, best,

-- Per
Not fixed yet.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:06 PM

W215 CL500 2005
Not fixed yet.
Still not fixed.

I got a new led strip and it would not work on either side.

There are no broken wires in the mirror housing to the dcm (continuity test) and each led strip does work when tested with a battery.

Any ideas out there?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:37 PM

CL
Still not fixed.

I got a new led strip and it would not work on either side.

There are no broken wires in the mirror housing to the dcm (continuity test) and each led strip does work when tested with a battery.

Any ideas out there?
Hi R

listen, first of all, did you upgrade your front turn signal to led or is everything stock ?

then, if stock, did you turn on warning and test voltage out on plug to mirror led turn signal ?
if yes and you have voltage, the only problem you could have + - inverted as leds only work in one position

also, there is a very bad thing with the mercedes w215 light modules, wich is that sometimes, when a bulb stops working and the module turns the power off to that bulb to prevent damage, when you replace the bulb it will not turn back on just like that when replaced

if DAS XENTRY = clear all error codes
if not, unplug the battery for 10 min

I have been battling with led on my cl as upgraded lots of lights to led and it's a pain in the ***

let me know
Old 08-19-2017, 01:38 PM

W215 CL500 2005
Everything is stock.

I got the left hand side working, but I don't know how. I tested the wiring continuity and that the leds worked with a 9v battery...put it all back together, wiggled a few wires and was going into the house in defeat...locked the car and it flashed.

Now for the other side. Interesting about the turning off to prevent damage.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:24 PM

CL
Everything is stock.

I got the left hand side working, but I don't know how. I tested the wiring continuity and that the leds worked with a 9v battery...put it all back together, wiggled a few wires and was going into the house in defeat...locked the car and it flashed.

Now for the other side. Interesting about the turning off to prevent damage.
yes, you also have settings in DAS Xentry you can activate or not that will replace a failing turn signal with another bulb temporary untill you replace it

Not that this has to do with your problem but I noticed by upgrading some lights with CAN Bus error free LED Bulb that most didn't work plug and play THIS IS A MOSTLY ON MB ONLY PROBLEM

I had to inverse + and - on the car right side to get it work (you do that by modifying the bulb socket so you turn it around to switch + to -) Remember, this is right side only, left can remain stock

The system that turns the bulb back on without erasing in Das Xentry is very sensitive on led lights
but once I noticed that, I hooked up Das and deleted the codes every time and work completed fast

Last edited by pmercury; 08-19-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 AM

W215 CL500 2005
SOLVED.

Thanks for all your help especially re:polarity...you were correct.

I got the left side working by a bit of wiggling. But the right side was defeating me.

The right side had been replaced earlier this year when I decided to mangle the old one. It was not oem.

By use of my trusty multimeter I discovered that during manufacture at the end which plugs into the door control module someone was having a bad day and had put the two pins for the indicator in the wrong way round. So...I swapped them around and hey presto.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:25 AM

CL
SOLVED.

Thanks for all your help especially re:polarity...you were correct.

I got the left side working by a bit of wiggling. But the right side was defeating me.

The right side had been replaced earlier this year when I decided to mangle the old one. It was not oem.

By use of my trusty multimeter I discovered that during manufacture at the end which plugs into the door control module someone was having a bad day and had put the two pins for the indicator in the wrong way round. So...I swapped them around and hey presto.
my pleasure, you may use the thx button
The following users liked this post:
renault12ts (08-20-2017)