CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Gas attendant pumped regular last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2017 | 07:10 AM

Cl500
Gas attendant pumped regular last night

I know this isn't a huge deal. But I was curious about how you guys felt about gas brands. I like Sunoco ultra.
Old 05-23-2017 | 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
500 not a.big deal. Tuned 55/600/65 would be a big deal. Well, even then, the knock sensors would adjust the timing to save the engine.
Old 05-23-2017 | 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Yeah the car will adjust to low octane due to knock sensors. Just won't have full power until you refill with premium

You can always throw in a bottle of octane boost if you want full power with this tank of gas
Old 05-24-2017 | 11:47 AM

2003 CL-500
All US-spec vehicles since 2001 must retain an "alternate fuel map" for use with gasoline of lower spec. Yes, that map will provide lower horsepower - on the order of 10% or so - but there is no harm involved whatever.

In fact, I run NOTHING but Regular gas in my CL500, many years now. Used to be a 20-cent difference for Premium, but these days it is 50-cents and more. I don't use or need that extra 10% horsepower on a daily basis, so why not?

If you say "engine longevity" I'll correct you: the engine only "needs" that extra octane a tiny percentage of the time, for example under full acceleration on a hot day. ALL the rest of the time, that 93-octane stuff is going to WASTE, not needed in the slightest for normal driving. Even under full acceleration, the Alternate Fuel Map and the knock sensors will prevent pre-ignition and potential for damage. And I so rarely drive anymore under full acceleration!

If you are under full acceleration all the time, by all means spend the money for 93-octane. If you drive normally, however, there is NO DIFFERENCE to the engine using regular-grade gas.

Last edited by smartadze; 05-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2017 | 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by smartadze
All US-spec vehicles since 2001 must retain an "alternate fuel map" for use with gasoline of lower spec. Yes, that map will provide lower horsepower - on the order of 10% or so - but there is no harm involved whatever.

In fact, I run NOTHING but Regular gas in my CL500, many years now. Used to be a 20-cent difference for Premium, but these days it is 50-cents and more. I don't use or need that extra 10% horsepower on a daily basis, so why not?

If you say "engine longevity" I'll correct you: the engine only "needs" that extra octane a tiny percentage of the time, for example under full acceleration on a hot day. ALL the rest of the time, that 93-octane stuff is going to WASTE, not needed in the slightest for normal driving. Even under full acceleration, the Alternate Fuel Map and the knock sensors will prevent pre-ignition and potential for damage. And I so rarely drive anymore under full acceleration!

If you are under full acceleration all the time, by all means spend the money for 93-octane. If you drive normally, however, there is NO DIFFERENCE to the engine using regular-grade gas.
You do WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?