CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Another ABC conversion thread, sorry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
Another ABC conversion thread, sorry

I have a 2002 CL500 with suspension down. Fluid leaking everywhere. I am about a hair of doing a conversion with a strutmasters kit and later a better setup. For now I need to drive. I ordered a kit today and only afterward watched the videos just to see what a job I would be undertaking a week from now. End of video says " make sure you fill your fluid reservoir when finished "

I thought about it for about ten seconds and said to myself if I could keep fluid in it I wouldn't need to do a conversion. I was under the impression you cap or plug the back of the pump and be done with the entire system.

If I will need to change to another pump does anyone know FOR SURE which pump I would need of can I cap the existing pump ? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
I assume they are talking about the power steering fluid reservoir, which you will still need after the conversion.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
The fluids are separate.

You need fluid in the pump to prevent it grinding to a halt due to lack of lubrication.

Some have found a way of recirculating the fluid to allow this and remove the rest of the ABC bits. Others have put in a non ABC steering pump from an S500 or similar and got rid of the tandem pump.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
Update - I got the strutmasters kit in 2 days. I started my install and when I got the front done and set the car back down it looked like a F 250

The car sits high in front and I am not happy. I called and they don't really have a explanation. They want pictures because the one I sent was not that good sitting inside the garage. After about a hour on the phone they told me that they would allow me to cut the coils and they would send me a paper stating that they told me I could and they would still honor my warrantee. After about another half hour we decided I would just send the kit back.

Salesman told me I could cap off the pump which is not the case and they took blame for it. Car sitting too high and not to my liking and again they took blame for that. They unlike most companies today took some of the blame and said I could send the stuff back on their dime. No restocking fee either.

So, today I ordered a ABC pump and decided I would try fixing the factory stuff. My power steering pump is leaking right out of the bottom of the pulley BUT I don't know if there are other issues because I just bought the car three weeks ago. All of the lines, blocks, etc are bone dry. The factory struts shocks look like new and still have all of the factory writing on them so maybe just replacing the pump will fix it.

Tonight I come back here and do more reading, more old threads and now thinking maybe just deal with the strutmasters stuff , cut the coils , replace with a S500 pump and be done with it forever.

I have never in my life had a car or issues with a car that made me do so much thinking pros and cons, prices, future costs.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The front seals fail on the pump, it may just be leaking there if you are SURE the rest of the system is dry.

Through inspection is key on these cars, check all the lines/blocks, if you see leaks, fix them before a major failure.

Honestly, not having ABC in this car would be a deal breaker for me. Yes, the system is expensive to repair compared to standard suspension, but it's an amazing, dynamic system that does things no normal suspension can. It makes the car drive totally different than anything this size/weight.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Now that you have ordered a ABC pump, and according to your inspection, all lines are dry, etc. why not stick with this plan of keeping the ABC - and forget about dealing with the strutmasters stuff "again".
what other "factory stuff" are you trying to fix ? A new filter and fresh Pentosin oil is a must with a new pump.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Give the new abc pump a try, if your system doesn't work with it then get a YellowSpeed conversion kit which is far superior to strutmasters
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by tusabes
Give the new abc pump a try, if your system doesn't work with it then get a YellowSpeed conversion kit which is far superior to strutmasters
...because it is adjustable unlike the Strutmasters.