CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Accumulators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CL600
Accumulators

I am changing my front and rear self leveling/ride accumulators. My question is 3 parts, 1: I understand that changing the accumulators that the car needs to be lifted up, so when changing the front accumulator the front end of the car needs to be lifted and let the fluid drain out of that area for about 15-20min before starting, correct?
2: how much fluid will I lose when it leaks after taking off the old accumulator?/ does the new one need to have fluid put in it (primed) before putting on?
-- same procedure for the rear. Should the front or rear be done first?
3: how much fluid will I need and how do I keep air out of system during replacement, if air does get in how to get it out?
I don't need to have a system flush since it was just done 4 months a go for the second time in 13 months asc I had the 2 high pressure hoses replaced 9 months apart and last one was 4 months ago and fluid flush and rodeo was done both times.
The accumulators is such a DIY job and saves a lot of money just need my questions addressed.
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Pressure bleeds off almost immediately, no worry about letting it sit for a long time.

The accumulators hold very little fluid when new. IF they've blown out, they can be full of fluid, but the new one won't take nearly that much.

There is no priming, just install and go.

Keeping air out is impossible, as the lines are all metal and you can't squeeze them off or anything. A good pitch actuation will get all the air out after though, just check the level and run it a bit, then re-check. It won't drop much. If you don't have SDS, cycle the height a couple times, recheck level, drive the car dynamically (Make the system work), then recheck.