CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

help keyfob not recognized by car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls500
help keyfob not recognized by car

battery was died in car for about 4 months , when i went to jump battery off , couldn't get into truck , so we raised front passenger seat, and put a jump box on the red cable under the carpet
car came on , opened truck , as soon as i put cables on battery in back of car, the lights started flashing like the alarm was going off but no sound,
when i tried to turn ignition , ignition would not turn , key fob will not unlock doors , but will unlock/open trunk
says key not recognized any leads on this problem thx
car is a 2005 cl500 with 45000 miles
Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
First check the fuses in the passenger floor where you jumped it . They are the main fuses and often fail

if that doesn't fix it you're probably need a matching set of key shifter ignition switch and ecu from a donor car

all 4 parts must be changed because they are coded together as part of the anti theft system and they must come from
the same donor car

they sell matched sets on eBay for about $350
Old 10-20-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CL600
Key fob

So is the key fob the original set and or is it a new key fob? The way I understand your post is it IS the original fob and the issue is the car has not started for 4 month and had dead battery which you, charged or changed?
If I have that correct you need to make sure the battery is new is the fob even if the concern it seems ok it's better to change it, a weak batt and act up at times.
So after batt change put the fob in the ignition and let it set there for a sec then turn to acc then to on just before the start position and let it set there for a bit. Sometimes the fob will act up and say not recognized and needs to reinitialize, if you are using one of the other key fobs that came with the car the set of 3 keys you have to do this so the ignition system initializes for that key.
BUT if you have new keys from another source not one of the original keys, the ignition turn key system has to be changed and the transmission program box inside the shifter has to be changed with the ones associated with the key fob.
If this the case you "might" be able to has STAR reprogram the keys and fob system...But I am not sure able that.
Good Luck my man...
Old 10-20-2017, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
Originally Posted by Sojo40
So is the key fob the original set and or is it a new key fob? The way I understand your post is it IS the original fob and the issue is the car has not started for 4 month and had dead battery which you, charged or changed?
If I have that correct you need to make sure the battery is new is the fob even if the concern it seems ok it's better to change it, a weak batt and act up at times.
So after batt change put the fob in the ignition and let it set there for a sec then turn to acc then to on just before the start position and let it set there for a bit. Sometimes the fob will act up and say not recognized and needs to reinitialize, if you are using one of the other key fobs that came with the car the set of 3 keys you have to do this so the ignition system initializes for that key.
BUT if you have new keys from another source not one of the original keys, the ignition turn key system has to be changed and the transmission program box inside the shifter has to be changed with the ones associated with the key fob.
If this the case you "might" be able to has STAR reprogram the keys and fob system...But I am not sure able that.
Good Luck my man...
very interesting post. didn't know this was necessary.