CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ISO ECU Pinout Diagram for '01 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
ISO ECU Pinout Diagram for '01 CL600

I'm attempting to bring an '01 CL600 back to life. Stuck on getting it out of limp mode. Fault code says Bank 1 Camshaft Sensor. Mobile mechanic just fussed with it for an hour. Says his readings indicate it is a circuit fault, not a sensor fault. Meaning somewhere I've got a wire grounding out. So ... I can either attempt to extract the harness(es) and find the fault, or rewire the whole thing from the ECU harness out. I'm favoring rewiring.

My request is if anyone is aware of a good manual, online or otherwise, that shows the pinout diagram for the ECU engine harness. I'm happy to buy it, just too dang busy to Google it this weekend.

Thank you.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Not the harness I would want to mess with, there's a LOT of wires and not a lot of room in that engine bay. Have you had it scanned with a real SDS scanner? What was the actual code? What exactly is it doing when in "limp mode"? I wouldn't advise anyone to start diagnosing with a harness replacement. A circuit fault can also be an internally shorted or open sensor. Need proper diag before you dive into a harness replacement.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 PM

CL600
I too am hesitant, but something has to be done.
Searching now for that pinout diagram.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Ok
listen, I have mentioned this before, I did read in MB official that the entire engine harness is supposed to be replaced every 150.000 KM

I was thinking since the beginning I got the car, I had 280.000 km on the engine, that there where some wiring problems between engine modules

one of the strange problem I had was right front wheel speed sensor giving weird speeds
so as a normal person I adjusted and replaced
several times

I finally ended up finding out what wires where used for this function by looking on the sensor, using my little brain to guess where it would go from there
find the color on the module plug and measure
what ???? ohm meter said its OK dam !

somehow I didn't trust that and convinced myself this was a "now and then cut wire"
so I found the same diameter wire, cut of the oem wire on both plugs, module and sensor side
and replaced it

a miracle, it worked, never had a speed sensor problem ever

so you see what you need to do if you don't want to replace the whole harness

just find the faulty sensor, lookup colors, where it goes ect

the bad side is that if that wire is faulty, you might have other wires close to end of life.......

good luck
Old 05-20-2018, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
See if this helps, I don't have access to WIS for whatever reason right now, but the diagrams are the same, just in a different format.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
215 137 ME 1.pdf (611.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf
215 137 ME 2.pdf (615.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 AM

CL600
I'll start studying that, now.

Here is the link to page 3008 of the workshop manual for the CL600. It is the beginning of the ECM Diagram section. To access additional pages you have to use the index on the left.
CL600 ECM Diagram

I am driven forward in my quest in that I've found that "wiggling" the Bank 1 Camshaft wires makes the car run well, for a while. No "wiggling", it doesn't want to start.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:32 PM

CL600
Update: The car now runs AND passed Texas Safety and Emissions Inspection, today (YeeHaw!)
It must have been too hot/too late when I was wiring one of the new Camshaft Position Sensor Harnesses. Fixed that, and it started right up.
HOWEVER ... I still have intermittent Limp Mode issues. No CEL. Pending codes vary from day to day, but are mostly one or both Camshaft Sensors and 02 Sensors. Interesting that, when it does go into Limp Mode, stopping and restarting the car brings it back to full power. Frustrating to be sure, but I do now have a (most times) running car.