M275 Engine Oil Cooler Type, Location, is it rebuildable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL600 RentechCL65mod, E55 (sold), E63
Originally Posted by HopefullyE63
Hi Everyone.

I bought a CL600 2003 w the Twin Turbo M275 engine 102K. miles. Does the M275 engine have the internal oil cooler like the pre turbo cars? It looks like they went with an external oil cooler on the M275 therefore the monster job of doing and R&R on it is moot. I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Also if I am on the hook for the internal oil cooler job are they still not serviceable? It seems what goes bad are the gaskets and the aluminum is fine. I have searched for hours so please don't spank me for that. This is the most important question.

Other items I have replaced:

I have replaced both coil packs with Clarks v12icpack units. The cars idle is impossibly smooth. Also R&R all 4 of the accumulators in the ABC circuit. Trans mount and (2) flex disks. All fluids and conductor plate R&R. I have access to lifts and techs in my business. In order to save time and $ I took the car to a dealer and they said I need the oil cooler, both front struts are leaking and some misc items. The service advisor said my engine is leaking oil and the cooler is the problem. 30 hours labor and engine has to Come out etc. Intercooler pump may be bad and the car will need an intercooler prime as the IAT are high.

My searching has revealed that the intercooler pump fails and causes a loss of power. Dealer says a vacuum leak will also cause the same.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I have a 2003 CL600 with the Renntech ECU upgrade and now putting out 625 HP and 74 Lbs. torque close to the CL65. Love this car but so scary to own as last year I took it to a recommended mechanic to fix the electric cooling fan not working. $4,000 later and the electric fan, radiator replaced. Only 55 k miles but the car is approaching 19 years old. Recently I started seeing some small drops of oil on the road/driveway but now its coming out much more and even in a small stream if I park in the driveway and then restart to move into the garage. Without lifting the car yet it looks to be coming from the passenger side front just behind the front bumper assembly or passenger side front of the engine. Does anyone have any Idea what this could be? Is there separate engine oil cooler and where is it located? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love this car.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (11-23-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
The engine oil cooler is a long air/oil cooler low down at the very front. You can tell by the thick feed and return pipes at each end. Its straightforward to replace in principle, but the hose fittings can get seized, and everything gets fragile with advancing years....
The following 2 users liked this post by Welwynnick:
Lou275 (01-11-2022), sker66 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Welwynnick
The engine oil cooler is a long air/oil cooler low down at the very front. You can tell by the thick feed and return pipes at each end. Its straightforward to replace in principle, but the hose fittings can get seized, and everything gets fragile with advancing years....
Thank you much for this info and your quick reply. Seems like it also could be the ABC hose that runs across the front of the engine. I will check into this further with this gracious information!
Old 11-24-2021, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
If you suspect ABC fluid coming out of the "hose to nowhere" then you should avoid driving the car until you can confirm the fault. Fluid typically leaks from the crimp joints, and is a precursor to a catastrophic failure.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Welwynnick
If you suspect ABC fluid coming out of the "hose to nowhere" then you should avoid driving the car until you can confirm the fault. Fluid typically leaks from the crimp joints, and is a precursor to a catastrophic failure.
Yeah....Thats where I'm at now. I have to investigate further but I'm thinking I may need to take it to a mechanic as I am a bit older now and no lift in my garage. Problem is the last guy took me to the cleaners . Its hard to find an honest mechanic around this area in these times.