CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

after coilover conversion, unsure about mounting bracket behind PS pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 156 Likes on 135 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
after coilover conversion, unsure about mounting bracket behind PS pump?

being the first one (besides strutmasters themselves) to do the coilover conversion on this car, I'm very very glad to see so many other w215 owner's retrofitting coilovers to enhance the longevity of the w215 model. With ABC this model car was surely bound to end up as a bunch of junkyard queens. I still see the occasional sagging w215 parked in someones driveway, most likely still unaware that the ABC system is replaceable...

but I was basically flying blind in regards to half of this conversion...I think I may have also been the first to retrofit the s430 P/S pump into the w215 models for the coilover conversion... now I have one question basically that some more experienced wrenchers have tackled this conversion also

There was a black bracket "arm" behind the original ABC tandem pump. one side mounts to the ABC pump with i think an e8 or e10 bolt...the other end of the arm mounts to the side of the engine block... i think this is also an e8 or e10

I noticed the PS pump from the s430 model sorta lines up with the bracket, so I always tried to replace the bracket FROM the ABC pump BACK ONTO the s430 PS pump. It's always been a very tight squeeze to get a spanner or ratchet in there unfortunately. But I've never been able to get the bracket to fit snugly without forcing anything.

bottom line-

Is the black bracket from the ABC pump still needed for the PS pump conversion? I can't get it to fit perfectly, but it seems pretty necessary

I can provide pics if my explanation is unclear...

Old 11-24-2018, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some more info, i've replaced another power steering pump as the last cheap unit i bought from ebay was bent in an accident and would not line up perfectly with my engine mounts for the resevoir tank. very annoying to find out after installing.. all is well now

i studied many installation videos and it seems nobody uses this "brace" part number 112-236-03-95 on the regular mercedes power steering pumps, and instead just relies on the 4 bolts that mount to the engine itself. 2 front and 2 rear

hope this helps someone. i've been skeptical but i've since done multiple WOT pulls and the power steering pump is fine without the brace

be weary though, i've seen more than one thread where the triangle bracket holding the P/S pump has broken. one member was selling aftermarket brackets for $200 on here. so perhaps using the brace would help? mine never lined up quite perfectly though and i was never able to fully tighten the bolts without bending anything....
Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just an update, car gas run fine without the bracket. Wish I knew this long ago lol
Old 02-28-2020, 09:35 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Is the rear pump brace necessary? Do you think Mercedes would have it if not needed? Remember, the German philosophy of MBZ says ' it has to be able to run INDEFINITELY at max speed in maximum ambient temperatures. You should 'rebend and use washer spacers' to solidly support the shorter power steering pump. You are a 'development test driver' without the brace. It MAY be OK most of the time, but can 'brick' the entire engine when/if the new pump works loose and grenades.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kebowers47
Is the rear pump brace necessary? Do you think Mercedes would have it if not needed? Remember, the German philosophy of MBZ says ' it has to be able to run INDEFINITELY at max speed in maximum ambient temperatures. You should 'rebend and use washer spacers' to solidly support the shorter power steering pump. You are a 'development test driver' without the brace. It MAY be OK most of the time, but can 'brick' the entire engine when/if the new pump works loose and grenades.
if I remember correctly, I found documentation stating the rear brace was not necessary