CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2003 CL55 AMG strange electrical issues Please help!!!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55 AMG
2003 CL55 AMG strange electrical issues Please help!!!

My w215 has been really acting strange. What first happened is when I turned the car off one day the dashboard stayed illuminated..along with the brake lights and the esp abs lights on. So I had to disconnect the battery each night to stop the power drain. Then one day I was driving home and the car started misfiring on several cylinders. I turned the car off...and when I turned it on...(in park) the throttle accelerated to 5k rpms. And stayed there until I held the brake and put it in drive...when I get home I turn the car off...and disconnect the battery..when I go to start it in the morning ...it sounded strange ...like a strange sound during cold start up.. so I turn the car off...and try to start it again...but the key won’t turn at all! The dash lights come on when I put the key in..but it won’t turn...so I disconnect the battery and try to start it...and it starts right up. I was charged 150 by a mechanic to run the codes...but he didn’t tell me anything...or what I should do to fix the problem. I will upload pictures of the fault codes. Please someone help me figure out where to start...

Last edited by John Hicks III; 01-05-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 156 Likes on 135 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Your first issue, regarding the speedometer sounds like the very common speedometer failure issues in the W215/220 platform... I’d heard the speedometer issues were resolved in the facelift models but who knows if you have an 2002 cluster in your 2003. This was a recall so look online to see if your car is due for any recalls first

Misfiring and random rpm spikes could possibly be a failing crankshaft position sensor, you should have one of these handy anyways with all the heat the exhaust generates and reputation for failure. Sometimes a failing/dirty MAF sensor can cause similar problems, although I’ve never heard of an MAF to cause an rpm spike to 5k rpms...

ultimately i think your issue involves a bad ground connection. Besides the negative battery terminal, there are several points of ground on these cars for each of the electrical systems.

Lastly i I would recommend following up on any service maintenance intervals that may have been skipped.. these cars call for extensive service rituals, and in my experience quite a few issues people have with their used Benz gets resolved when the owner catches up with the servicing. I’m not talking about oil changes , as much as I’m talking about valve cover gaskets , spark plugs, ignition coils etc
Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Agree that’s most like a voltage issue , how old is your battery ?

get a fresh new battery and check all cables and grounds before you replace any electronic part