CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

need some help power steering bracket issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
need some help power steering bracket issue

I need some help. I have a 02 CL500 and about a year ago I did the strutmaster conversion. I drove around with the bad ABC pup for the past year. A month ago I changed to the S500 pump. I read that people have issues mounting the bottle to the pump but mine mounted to the pump with a little cutting of the original CL500 bracket on front of engine. Today I pulled into my driveway to park in my garage and when I started it to pull in I heard a strange noise. I open the hood and the belt was off. I reinstalled the belt, started it and belt came off again. After looking everything over I find out the bracket the pump mounts to on front of engine broke where the pump bolts on. It is not the pump that broke it is the bracket on front of engine which I think holds the oil filter. I cant really see down thee with everything together. I looked on ebay for brackets just to see a picture but found nothing. Can anyone help me out with pictures, info, name of bracket and why the pump would have broken off. Any help would be much appreciated.

Picture with yellow arrows is where it broke ( whatever those two bolts screw into ) Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
BAD NEWS. I finally found the part that broke. It I the oil filter housing / timing cover. The two ears on the back side are what broke.

Can anyone tell me how many hours to replace ? Someone must have a labor rate manual and I would appreciate some info
The following users liked this post:
Coupecrasher (01-24-2021)
Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Yes in my previous threads about pioneering w220 power steering pumps into W215, I mentioned there is a triangular bracket you’ll want to get when you order the new power steering pump. And the rear brace is no longer needed. I was most confused about whether the rear brace was needed, luckily I didn’t have any issues because at points I was being a bit too forceful trying to make the rear brace line up with my new power steering pump

what engine do you have? If it’s 500 then follow in my footsteps and drop in a 55 AMG engine from eBay, they are cheaper and faster than repairing most major issues with a 500 engine.. mine has been running great for years, just tested compression recently and I was surprised how well the engine is holding up considering how hard I drive it

good luck, my email is ctravis595@gmail.com if you need quick answers on this stuff.

just saw you have an 02 cl500, same as my car was. 2002 Cl55 engine is plug and play.. I never even had the ecu remapped. Thank me later 👍
Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Lastly, if anybody is having trouble mounting the power steering reservoir to the engine it’s because the used power steering pump you bought is bent. Learned this the hard way by buying $45 used pumps on eBay , most were good but one was bent enough that I was never able to install the reservoir properly until I bought another $45 pump lol
The following users liked this post:
Coupecrasher (01-24-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 S500
Could you send the template? It’s not letting me message you for some reason. Hopefully you could help me out