CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Where should I look

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 cl 500
Where should I look Cl 500 electrical

Recently while driving my cars radio would shut off then reboot itself. It started happening more. Then yesterday first the radio would shut off then the whole car would loose power and shut down. I would pull over and turn the key on and off a couple times and it would power up fine. Then last night I stopped at the store and the car wouldn't start at all. It was as if there was no power at all. After about 15 minutes the power came on and I got almost home when it lost power at a stop light. I sat there for about 5 minutes and it powered on. Driving the rest of the way home, the car radio powered off but the engine stayed running then the radio came back on and made it home. I checked the terminals on the battery and they are tight and fine. Anybody have any ideas where I should concentrate my efforts to fix this? Thank you for any ideas regarding. This issue. Today car started perfectly. Moved the car to my driveway, sat in it a few minutes and it just lost power and died.

Last edited by Union City chri; 07-31-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
radio shuts off like modules when power goes to low
looks like you have a serious + leak somewhere

best thing is to find a guy with Xentry and let him do a scan
that will probably locate the fault and monitor
Old 08-07-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 cl 500
Found the problem.

Originally Posted by pmercury
radio shuts off like modules when power goes to low
looks like you have a serious + leak somewhere

best thing is to find a guy with Xentry and let him do a scan
that will probably locate the fault and monitor
Thank you for your advice.
I found the problem. It was in the main fuse module located on the passenger side floor board. There is 3 fuses in that module. 150 amp, 60 amp, and a 200 amp fuse. The 150 amp fuse had heated up. I replaced that fuse and so far so good. Car hasn't shut down nor has the radio powered off. Still not sure what caused the fuse itself to heat up like it did. Thanks again for the reply though.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-09-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Union City chri
Thank you for your advice.
I found the problem. It was in the main fuse module located on the passenger side floor board. There is 3 fuses in that module. 150 amp, 60 amp, and a 200 amp fuse. The 150 amp fuse had heated up. I replaced that fuse and so far so good. Car hasn't shut down nor has the radio powered off. Still not sure what caused the fuse itself to heat up like it did. Thanks again for the reply though.
maybe a water leak on wires
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-09-2019)