CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Misfire problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:53 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Misfire problem

Hey guys so my 2002 CL500 started misfiring at high rpms so I changed all the spark plugs I put the very good bosch spark plugs and then it kept misfiring but its only cylinder 3 I then thought it was the coilpack so I replaced it and still misfires when I pass about 4.5k rpm on cylinder 3, I have to admit my air filters are pretty dirty but I dont think thats the problem... if I drive normally up to 4k rpm its fine, and sounds fine once I pass that 4.5k-5k rpm range it shuts off the cylinder and sounds terrible.

I cant figure out what could be the cause next thing I can think of is the injectors or maybe bad compression? does not seem like it to me but who knows if anyone could help me out that would be great thanks! My car has 160k miles

Also I forgot to mention it gives me an error for my catalytic converter, I read some other post and that could be the problem?

Last edited by MartinWake; 10-03-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Martin Engine is choked and can not breath i would start with air filter change first .Thees engines ar very complicated if the problem is still with you after filters are changed best to put the car on a star computer at the dealers ..
Old 10-05-2019, 03:00 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Martin Engine is choked and can not breath i would start with air filter change first .Thees engines ar very complicated if the problem is still with you after filters are changed best to put the car on a star computer at the dealers ..
Yes I will change the filters today, I removed the cats to see if it was that and nope problem is still there :/
Old 10-06-2019, 03:07 AM

CL55
Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
Changed the air filters and the problem is still there
Old 10-06-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 185 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
Misfire can be causes by so many things on these engines. Get it hooked up to a Star Diagnostic or get a DAS/Xentry your self, and read out the error codes. Just changing parts, based on guess work, is both exepensive and based on luck.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:21 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by SLcharge
Misfire can be causes by so many things on these engines. Get it hooked up to a Star Diagnostic or get a DAS/Xentry your self, and read out the error codes. Just changing parts, based on guess work, is both exepensive and based on luck.
how do I get it on that star diagnosis?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MartinWake
how do I get it on that star diagnosis?
A MB dealer has as STAR tester. If you want to be able to do all electric and software on your car, by your self, I recommend that you get in touch with member @pmercury and let him set you up a DAS/Xentry diagnose system on a dedicated computer. Then you can do exactly the same as an MB dealer can, plus more.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (12-22-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:26 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by SLcharge
A MB dealer has as STAR tester. If you want to be able to do all electric and software on your car, by your self, I recommend that you get in touch with member @pmercury and let him set you up a DAS/Xentry diagnose system on a dedicated computer. Then you can do exactly the same as an MB dealer can, plus more.
The dealer will destroy me with fees I bought this car for so cheap, and setting up that diagnose system also seems costly, that would just tell me the problem and the problem itself will probably cost quite a lot to fix. I am trying to see what I can do about the problem the best way not cheapest because I plan on keeping this car but I also dont want to take a 160k mile car to the dealer which is gonna name another 100 problems the car probably has.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
The dealer will destroy me with fees I bought this car for so cheap, and setting up that diagnose system also seems costly, that would just tell me the problem and the problem itself will probably cost quite a lot to fix. I am trying to see what I can do about the problem the best way not cheapest because I plan on keeping this car but I also dont want to take a 160k mile car to the dealer which is gonna name another 100 problems the car probably has.

For the cost of those Bosch spark plugs you probably could have had the problem diagnosed by an independent shop or by an authorized MB dealer . If your dealer names another 100 problems, it is still up to you to decide what you want to do about these problems.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:05 AM

Less than a 1000 $ for a complete independant system, I think it's worth it, but your call.

The parts you spend by now, could easily have paid for that, i believe.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:28 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
even less, 700$ if you already have a decent laptop
Old 10-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2007 S550 & 2009 CL63 AMG & 2009 BMW 328i Convertible
Hey guys so my 2002 CL500 started misfiring at high rpms so I changed all the spark plugs I put the very good bosch spark plugs and then it kept misfiring but its only cylinder 3 I then thought it was the coilpack so I replaced it and still misfires when I pass about 4.5k rpm on cylinder 3, I have to admit my air filters are pretty dirty but I dont think thats the problem... if I drive normally up to 4k rpm its fine, and sounds fine once I pass that 4.5k-5k rpm range it shuts off the cylinder and sounds terrible.

I cant figure out what could be the cause next thing I can think of is the injectors or maybe bad compression? does not seem like it to me but who knows if anyone could help me out that would be great thanks! My car has 160k miles

Also I forgot to mention it gives me an error for my catalytic converter, I read some other post and that could be the problem?
did you replace your coilpack with a new one or used?