CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Engine out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2019 | 09:22 AM

Cl600
Engine out!

Hi guys, I have had a pretty good look around this site and Google in general. I can't find the details I need. I do apologise if this is covered elsewhere...

Anyway, I have the cl600 non turbo (2001). It looks to have oil leaking onto top of bellhousing and leaking down from there. I know this is likely to be the oil cooler in the valley. I am happy to do the work myself and I see the kit is available on fcp euro. I am also considering changing some front pulleys, water pump and spark plugs while in there, and maybe engine mounts if needed.

My question is, should I drop entire engine out the bottom (I have access to a hoist for a week or so), or lift the heads with engine fitted?

I read the heads off job is around 40hrs. How does this compare to dropping engine out? Will complete engine fit out the bottom, past the chassis rails?

Thanks for replies, hoping to do this job over Christmas break. Cheers
Old 11-06-2019 | 02:01 PM

2005 S500 Designo
Oof; I would youtube it; It sounds like it might be a rear main seal; you might want to try removing the transmission first.

Last edited by Fried Chicken; 11-06-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2019 | 02:38 AM

Cl600
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, vsandvs have a long utube about doing the oil cooler seal with engine fitted. So, I see that it is a long, but relatively simple job.
But there is no information anywhere about getting the complete engine/gearbox dropped out the bottom of the car with a hoist. And how long that would take, and if it is more efficient to do that.

I have some pre-work to do. Im waiting for my C4 star to arrive, then I can do the engine compression test that it does. Then I will give it a good clean, with undertrays removed, to confirm the source of the leaks.

The hoist is not really convenient to me, but it is a possibility.
Old 11-30-2019 | 03:47 PM

W215
i think much easier just to pull the motor out of the engine bay . i did it to my old W211
Old 04-18-2020 | 07:44 AM

W215
Originally Posted by Spit.Mcphee
Hi guys, I have had a pretty good look around this site and Google in general. I can't find the details I need. I do apologise if this is covered elsewhere...

Anyway, I have the cl600 non turbo (2001). It looks to have oil leaking onto top of bellhousing and leaking down from there. I know this is likely to be the oil cooler in the valley. I am happy to do the work myself and I see the kit is available on fcp euro. I am also considering changing some front pulleys, water pump and spark plugs while in there, and maybe engine mounts if needed.

My question is, should I drop entire engine out the bottom (I have access to a hoist for a week or so), or lift the heads with engine fitted?

I read the heads off job is around 40hrs. How does this compare to dropping engine out? Will complete engine fit out the bottom, past the chassis rails?

Thanks for replies, hoping to do this job over Christmas break. Cheers
hows the project going
Old 04-18-2020 | 07:58 AM

Cl600

Still going on this. I left engine in as hoist was being used. It's apart as far as needed, and have given engine bay a good scrub. Time to start putting it all back together!
The following 2 users liked this post by Spit.Mcphee:
JRAZ305 (05-15-2020), pmercury (04-19-2020)