CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

04 Cl500 to 55k (m113k) Project. Bringing this car back to life.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Cl500
04 Cl500 to 55k (m113k) Project. Bringing this car back to life.

Picked up this 04 CL 500 super cheap. Couldn't pass on the offer. Always wanted a W215 but in a bigger engine size. When I went to pickup the car I saw it sitting on the ground (I knew abc had issues). I turned the key and nothing (tow truck driver put a jump box to it) few minutes later she kicked over (and sounded amazing) that is until the smoke started. My pockets told me I should pass on this project but my guts said buy the car. Anyway the Paint was fading, the radio didn't work, was over heating, and interior could use some help.

I indeed still purchased the car. We put it on the tow truck and towed it back to my garage. I immediately decided to toss the traditional abc system away and get some adjustables (coilovers that is) So a few days of research and I decided to go with the Ceika Adjustables. Put my order in for the coilovers and they were custom made and to my door within 45 days. I received them on a Thursday but had to work so couldn't have them installed till the weekend. I installed them over that weekend Saturday and Sunday. Very easy job.

Now the car is off the ground sitting pretty. Now to find out why the car is overheating. Upon inspection I realized the coolant system need more antifreeze. So what the heck lets just do a flush. Flushed the system and replaced with authentic mb af. Took the car for a spin 40 min later the temps went up. I realized the fan wasn't cutting on. Ordered a new fan assembly so I'm waiting on that now......

I want to discuss my engine swap with a 55k motor.....I know it can be done so therefore I'm going to do it no matter who may think it's a waste of my time and money. Just some background info I'm doing about 90% of the mechanical work myself so this is where I will save some cash. What all would I really need for this swap to work?

Scn coding? Ecu swap or upgrade? Ignition but do I really need this with coding? Heat exchanger? If I'm missing something feel free to chime in. I should have m113k motor very shortly. If anyone has done this swap successfully I am all ears.