CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Rear end Squirrelly under acceleration + turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2020 | 08:34 PM

2005 S500 Designo
Rear end Squirrelly under acceleration + turning

So I’m nailing down issues with the Renntech Nuclear Missile one by one. One thing that’s been nagging me since forever is the rear end that’s squirrelly whenever I turn. Specifically it’s the rear right side. My initial suspicion was the limited slip diff, but that wasn’t the case at all. Since I first got it, I replaced the o-rings in the valve block for the rear, and that immediately made a noticeable difference, but the problem persists.

I just had the rear on jacks, and I tested the ability to lift the wheels independently. The rear left was hard on a rock, but the rear right had some play in it if I muscled it up. This suggests to me something isn’t right with the suspension. I don’t want to rule out bad differential bushings, I did see a little bit of play when I lifted the car by the differential and quickly dropped it using the jack, however it was rather slight. Is this a known issue? While I had the car lifted, I tried to properly drain the tube by opening the bleed nipple, then compressing the strut using the jack, and then opening the nipple again. I did not see/hear any air escape.
Old 01-13-2020 | 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
At this age, it’s worth inspecting your subframe bushings. Just a tip
Old 01-13-2020 | 02:04 AM

2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by ctravis595
At this age, it’s worth inspecting your subframe bushings. Just a tip
I should have mentioned that I replaced my front subframe bushings. I inspected every single bushing in the system, and I couldn’t find any visible cracks. Even when attempting to put stress on them.
Old 03-15-2020 | 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by clarta
I have turned off traction control and I get the same results. I know it sounds like the tire is bad but what would it be? The people that put the used tire on said it looked fine and didn't appear to have any problems. It's actually quite scary how much the rear end moves around. Any input would be appreciated.
check control arm bushings and subframe mounts