CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Good source for reading about the CL w215

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 07:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
CL500, W211 e320 mega-spec
Good source for reading about the CL w215

I bought my CL on a bit of whim. I originally wanted an e500 but lost the auction on eBay at the last second so started searching for alternatives.

So unusually for me I ended up with a car I don't know much about. It seems like all the body panels are made of either plastic or aluminium. Wikipedia doesn't even mention this but I consider that pretty interesting / essential information.

So is there a place where you can read in depth about the CL series of Mercs? I know they're based on the S-class but would like to know more.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 141 Likes on 129 Posts
CL 600 '00 5.8L V12
These forums. You just have to come along a thread that provides more information about these cars.

The front fenders and trunk are made out of plastic. The roof out of aluminum and the doors out of magnesium.

Is there anything else you'd want to know?

I assume you already figured out that when you lower both rear headrests and buckle up in only a single one (with ignition on ofcourse), that that headrest will go up?
Or that if one of the front turn signal lamps fail, the fog lamp is used instead.
Or that the reversing light actually only goes on when the gear is physically engaged in the gearbox, in order to prevent a quick flash of the reverse light when you shift into drive.
Or that the quality of the oil inside of the engine is monitored and the oil refresh period is adjusted accordingly, or that the majority of the antenna's is inside of the rear window,
or that you can always start the car with the physical key, even if the battery of the key is dead due to the inductive charging that is present inside of the EIS
Old 09-20-2022, 08:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
CL500, W211 e320 mega-spec
I did not know most of those things. I saw the kids had lowered the head rests in the back a few weeks ago and then they were up again and I assumed they'd put them up! But you're saying it does it by itself if the seat is occupied?

What are the rear arches made from? I did the 'magnet test' on them and they don't attract the magnet so seems unlikely they would be steel.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:16 AM

Received 141 Likes on 129 Posts
CL 600 '00 5.8L V12
Originally Posted by ejenner
But you're saying it does it by itself if the seat is occupied?
Yep!

Originally Posted by ejenner
What are the rear arches made from? I did the 'magnet test' on them and they don't attract the magnet so seems unlikely they would be steel.
Aluminium, they are prone to corrosion at the C pilar, where they meet with the rear of the car, which according to some members is because of the different metals that join at that point.