CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Fallen in love but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fallen in love but...

I'm new to Mercedes the whole CL class concept.

Question number one. Why does the CL class cost more than the S class???

What are you getting in exchange for giving up two doors and paying extra money?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by HemantS
I'm new to Mercedes the whole CL class concept.

Question number one. Why does the CL class cost more than the S class???

What are you getting in exchange for giving up two doors and paying extra money?
Style, exclusivity, an even more luxurious and "bespoke" interior and apparently a few more gadgets. There should also be a CL63 AMG before the S63 arrives. Coupes like this (or in general) are about styling and slightly better performance than the sedan counterparts. It costs more because Mercedes can charge more for those things, not because it cost more to make.

M
Old 08-04-2006, 06:49 PM

Yes!
Comparison of S-Klasse to CL-Klasse

The CL is considered, more often than not, to be the flagship model for Mercedes-Benz. This is so because it is usually the first vehicle that Mercedes tries out its new technology, whatever that may be. Also, the S-Class is produced in much larger numbers, as opposed to the CL. There are many models of the S-Class, some found in the U.S. and others are exclusive to Europe, the Middle East, as well as the Asia. This is primarily due to the use of diesel engines by these countries. Anyway, I have seen S 320s all the way to S65 AMGs. However, the CL starts from 500 and goes all the way to CL 65. An interesting point to raise, the CL, which to my understanding stands for "coupe lang," is roughly the German equivalent of large/long coupe with a longer wheelbase, actually started as a model from the S-Class lineup. There were two-door S-Class coupes and the models became so popular, Mercedes-Benz created a new model range called the CL. I think the CL was officially created in 1997/1998. The pedigree of the CL can be traced back to the 560 SEC and before. The CL basically comes fully loaded. For example, think of it this way, why would you need 12 cylinder engine in a coupe? It is basically the ultimate luxury.

Last edited by CoupeLeicht600; 08-04-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by CoupeLeicht600
The CL is considered, more often than not, to be the flagship model for Mercedes-Benz. This is so because it is usually the first vehicle that Mercedes tries out its new technology, whatever that may be. Also, the S-Class is produced in much larger numbers, as opposed to the CL. There are many models of the S-Class, some found in the U.S. and others are exclusive to Europe, the Middle East, as well as the Asia. This is primarily due to the use of diesel engines by these countries. Anyway, I have seen S 320s all the way to S65 AMGs. However, the CL starts from 500 and goes all the way to CL 65. An interesting point to raise, the CL, which to my understanding stands for "coupe lang," is roughly the German equivalent of large/long coupe with a longer wheelbase, actually started as a model from the S-Class lineup. There were two-door S-Class coupes and the models became so popular, Mercedes-Benz created a new model range called the CL. I think the CL was officially created in 1997/1998. The pedigree of the CL can be traced back to the 560 SEC and before. The CL basically comes fully loaded. For example, think of it this way, why would you need 12 cylinder engine in a coupe? It is basically the ultimate luxury.
Don't you think the SL is the 'flagship' vehicle for MB as opposed to the CL?
Both are beautys but I would think the SL is the flagship. Doesn't matter to me though. I can't afford either!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Whodat
Both are beautys but I would think the SL is the flagship. Doesn't matter to me though. I can't afford either!

i totally agree with you Whodat, i think the SL looks a lot better than the CL. it even looks more expensive and luxurious than the CL...can't believe the CL is the flagship of Mercedes. anyone who doesn't know Mercedes vehicle very well when they see a CL vs. a SL, they thinks the SL is the more expensive of the two. props to the SL even though i own a CL.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
CL is the flagship.
It's the big bad *** coupe based of the big badass sedan.

SL is just a class of it's own.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
CL or SL Flagship ?

Originally Posted by Whodat
IMHO. The CL is the MBZ flagship.
One of the things that really make the CL so nice is the lack
of a "center post". Its a very beautiful car. Easy to drive.
CL`s are more rare. So not thought of as often as the more common SL.
For Mercedes luxury, and style. Its the CL.

SL`s are striking cars. They command attention.
The SL55 is the Flagship for the AMG models.

SL`s are roadsters not exactly what MBz is best known for overall.

Note:
Try real hard at life. If I can afford to own both. You can too.
Anything is possible.

Last edited by bltserv; 08-11-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by bltserv
The SL55 is the Flagship for the AMG models..
I guess now I don't have to pay the extra money for an SL65 (let alone a CL65)

Originally Posted by bltserv
SL`s are roadsters not exactly what MBz is best known for overall.
Yeah, so much for those 300SL Roadsters. I knew they'd never reach icon status. I guess I'll stop saving.

The SLR is probably the new flagship. That aside, the CL has more standard features than the SL. I submit the SL is better looking, but it lacks gadgets/features that the CL has standard (e.g., dual panel door glass). CL is more comfortable and one of the best long distance cruiser coupes on the planet.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 08-15-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Flagship

When the term "Flagship" is used with MB, it is generally the S Class Sedan that is referred to. It is the leader in the normal chain of mass produced models and as far as I know has always been referred to as the Flagship of the line. The other "flagships" being referred to are really niche cars and are special additions to the line such as the SL, CL, CLS, SLR, etc.

I post this not because I own an S Class but just hearing the S Class referred to as "the" Flagship for so many years. It is the top of the line model for MB sedans and is the model which has the newest and latest tecnology installed which eventually filters down to the rest of the line (and in most case the industy.)
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I look at the flagship model as the most expensive basic model out in a lineup (not including the AMG cars, which are special versions). The S class for a long time probably was the flagship but no longer (during the 90's, etc. the CL was an S-class and the SL was not as expensive I don't believe). The SL and CL base models are alot more than the S class base models now. That being said, I can see how alot of people can still say that because the CL and SL are not produced nearly as much as the S....so in terms of normal models....the S is the flagship (among normal C, E, ML, G, etc). The CL and SL are technically based off the S class.....the CL being the coupe version and the SL the convertible version.

However, the AMG versions of the CL, SL, and S are the highest of the high. At the same time, I think the AMG versions of those 3 are on a more exclusive platform than the rest of the AMG cars. For instance, I would take a regular SL, CL, and S over any other AMG car with the exception of the SL55/CL55/S55.