CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Real-time traffic NAV and DVD video on 07s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CL600
Real-time traffic NAV and DVD video on 07s

anyone know if this update is available for the 07 CLs? i read someone had it done on their 08 S63 and I am hoping it would be available for my car.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:34 AM

bump for new info.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
Should be available for your car as well. I have an early built cl63 that was missing these features as well. The updated costed me $120.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
I had it installed in my 2007 CL550
Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Yes, your '07 CL can have a Telematics update..

imisssefler: Suggest you read the following thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/210521-comand-nav-update-07-s550.html

Your '07 CL can be updated. Here is part of what I wrote in that thread which might give you an idea of what you need to do to get this update accomplished. "The first part is fairly easy. Acquire the latest navigation Navteq DVD BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 (that would be v5.0 as of this date) and tell the MB adviser or shop foreman about bulletin #MBUSA DTB P-B-82.85/512d. But the second part is more complicated and fewer dealers know anything about it, yet it is the critical part of this 'puzzle'. "There are really two types of updates: The updated Navteq DVD and the telematics flash update. The Navteq update is done by just popping the new DVD in slot 1 of the changer and waiting 40 minutes for the update to complete. The telematics flash involves taking the car to the dealer where they update the entire telematics system using their DAS machine plus a special telematics flash CD called SD-Flash (the part number is (221-8274159). This procedure also takes about 40 minutes and updates the headunit, Sirius, Bluetooth puck, navigation subsystem, and even A/C controls. The way to do this has been to tell service that you tried to load your new Navteq DVD and it would not work and said that you needed your telematics firmware updated. You can just as easily tell them that you need the flash updated using the 'SD-Flash' CD. The CD is hard to find and each dealer usually gets one so there may only be one service guy at the dealer who is trusted with it." So, there it is. MB service advisers & technicians that don't know anything about this update procedure will tell you 'it can't be done', or 'has not yet been authorized', or invent any other excuse, just for you to go away and not bother them anymore since they are pretty busy people. Learn all you can from threads like this (what a great service & help this Forum has been to MB owners, don't you think?) and then help educate your MB dealer staff by patiently walking him/her through the whole process for updating your '07 S or CL Telematic's...one-step-at-a-time. Good luck. Z356
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 PM

CL600
Reviving real-time nav/dvd on 07s

Fast forward to 2011. Guy buys his first MB, a beautiful pewter/black/poplar '07 CL600 w/ 23k miles. He reads this thread and gets excited about activating this feature! He contacts his dealership and receives exactly the same response as others in this thread received four years ago. Help!

Dealer is trying to investigate further, but apparently reference numbers for updates and DVDs quoted in thread don't seem to be accurate. Does anyone have or remember specifics in addition to those contained in the thread?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by ajr62
Fast forward to 2011. Guy buys his first MB, a beautiful pewter/black/poplar '07 CL600 w/ 23k miles. He reads this thread and gets excited about activating this feature! He contacts his dealership and receives exactly the same response as others in this thread received four years ago. Help!

Dealer is trying to investigate further, but apparently reference numbers for updates and DVDs quoted in thread don't seem to be accurate. Does anyone have or remember specifics in addition to those contained in the thread?
Congrats on your newly-acquired 07 CL600! I also have one I picked up a couple years ago (at fire sale prices) and I'm also interested in the update. Hopefully someone can help us.

I recently had my vehicle serviced and tried to get the update included by reporting the recommended problems in the old post. But they all came back with the "working at spec" excuses and nothing was done. Sigh.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
There are two items that need to be updated to get real-time traffic.
1) You need a navigation DVD more recent than the one originally installed in your vehicles. Go for the newest version available. You install this yourself.
2) The other item MUST be performed by a dealer. This involves an upgrade to the Comand firmware. Many dealers will claim this can't be done. You need to locate a dealer that is familiar with this. The firmware update is applicable to W216 "CL" and W221 "S" class vehicles. The dealer instructions for the firmware update does NOT mention anything about adding features such as real-time traffic which may be why some dealers deny there is a way to add it. You usually have to say something is not working correctly to get the firmware updated. Claim you have a couple of the intermitant problems listed below and have them refer to this service bulletin for the fix. It will direct them to install the latest firmware which will as an unintended side effect give youu real-time traffic data once you then install a recent map data DVD.

P-B-82.85/512g SEPT08
COMAND and Telematics system having any of the conditions below the COMAND Head Unit and Telematics Ring software is to be updated with DAS and Telematics disc A221 827 63 59 ES2: 0002 (or newer).

- Intermittently, head unit does not display radio station name, artist and track (RDS) info
- During a multi-line telephone call in navigation screen, the COMAND display may turn dark
- Audio source volume not lowering during a navigation announcement in route guidance
- Intermittently, vehicle shows incorrect position even with more than three satellites visible
- Wrong navigation compass indicator
- Intermittently, back up camera image not shown on the COMAND display
- User’s cellular telephone phonebook entries are not completely down loaded
- COMAND display swivels left-right on its own and may not stop until driver turns ignition off
- Intermittent resets of the COMAND head unit
- During an active telephone call user tries to reject it by pressing REJECT both calls terminate
- Intermittently, head unit does not correctly toggle between name and # in telephone book
- No sound on startup with empty play field on head unit
- Incorrect GPS coordinates displayed in status line
- Inaccurate navigation voice or visual announcements during active route guidance
Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 PM

CL600
Steve: thanks VERY much! Will let you know how it goes!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM

CL600
FINALLY got the dealership to do the updates. they said real-time traffic and birds eye view were simply not available on 07s, but if i was willing to pay for them to update the nav and the telematics, they would be happy to do it. i was, they did, and i now have both - and more! there are lots of other little features that get added that i haven't seen mentioned in previous posts, including option for side mirrors auto adjusting down when reversing, additional audio options, etc.

thanks again for answering my post, much appreciated!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
Could you tell us how much the dealer charged you for the update? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 PM

SL500 CL600 Carlsson
Did your rear view camera display change at all?
Wondering if updating will give the dynamic rear view display that came in mid-08 cars.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 PM

CL600
They charged ~$300 for an updated navigation disc and $180 for the labor to updated telematics.
The following users liked this post:
Frankmarks1 (09-25-2016)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM

CL600
Hard to tell. I was having problems with the display before updating telematics which they thought would be fixed with the update, but it wasn't. I'm due to return to the dealership so they can address the issue, after which I'll be happy to let you know if I notice anything different!