CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Problem with a new 2011 CL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 CL550
Problem with a new 2011 CL550

Hello, I am in Vancouver, Canada and just took delivery of a 2011 CL550 last month. Upon receipt of the vehicle, I noticed a loud growling noise coming from the undercarriage and it went back to the dealer. I got a copy of the work order and they ended up doing the following:

RE&RE L/F Wheel
Re&Re Caliper
Re&Re Tie Rod, Torque Strut and transverse arm
Re&Re backing plate and wheel speed sensor
Re&Re Hub & Spindle assembly
Replaced L/F Wheel bearing

My question is that what do you guys think is wrong or may have been wrong to cause so much work for a 1 month old car? The dealer tried to brush it off but to me it sounds like this maybe part of a bigger issue with the car. Look forward to your comments and thoughts. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes new cars just have **** go wrong with them. If the noise is gone, don't worry. Enjoy the car.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by texan786
Hello, I am in Vancouver, Canada and just took delivery of a 2011 CL550 last month. Upon receipt of the vehicle, I noticed a loud growling noise coming from the undercarriage and it went back to the dealer. I got a copy of the work order and they ended up doing the following:

RE&RE L/F Wheel
Re&Re Caliper
Re&Re Tie Rod, Torque Strut and transverse arm
Re&Re backing plate and wheel speed sensor
Re&Re Hub & Spindle assembly
Replaced L/F Wheel bearing

My question is that what do you guys think is wrong or may have been wrong to cause so much work for a 1 month old car? The dealer tried to brush it off but to me it sounds like this maybe part of a bigger issue with the car. Look forward to your comments and thoughts. Thank you.
It is very strange for a new CL to have this issue at one month. It almost sounds like this car was involved in some sort of accident prior to your delivery. I would take the car to another shop and have them examine the car for, if nothing else, your peace of mind.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 cl63 (R.I.P.)
Some of these cars are finnicky, I guess. One month into owning my 2011, the "check rear break light" message began to appear in the middle of my speedo. I checked, and the rear lights all worked. I took the car in, and they needed to replace the entire rear "electrical assembly". Took 4 days. Car had maybe 250 miles on it at the time, didn't even have plates yet. Everything seems to be fine now, but talk about a bumpy start...
Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2005 Ford GT, 2013 Viper, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 928 GT
could be that something got bent in shipping...if the trucker used the suspension as a fixation point it is pretty easy to bend something.