CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
Exclamation Transmission Question

So I've never had a transmission service done on any car I've ever owned, partly bad on my part, partly because I typically keep a car two years get bored then trade it.

I figured I'd keep this CL for a bit as I'm in love with it. I was advised there was a small crack in my transmission pan. They stated it was about time for service anyway, might as well flush/exchange (whatever you call it) and replace filter and pan.

Fine I said. A few days later I'm flying down the highway when all of the sudden I was doing a smoke screen like some sort of secret agent trying to smoke out someone "tailing" me. It was white smoke, not coming from the exhaust but under the car itself. I already had an idea of what it was. Sure enough. Tranny fluid leaking underneath the car.

Took it back, they stated they may have not done the seals well or something. They would re-do it.

They did. A few weeks later, I'm gettin' it down the highway doing about 90+ and here we go again another smoke screen. DAMN IT!

I can't be flying down the highway in my sexy beast smoking out folks on the highway, that's not classy. lol

I have a few questions.

1. Are MB trannys in this model "sealed for life" per the factory?

2. What could be causing this? It seems to happen when I'm really ballin' (aka speeding)? Could they be overfilling the tranny fluid???

3. Is there a transmission dipstick? They told me it should be safe to drive as there's a lot of fluid in there. But that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy since I really have no idea how much transmission fluid has been lost.

4. If there's no dipstick will I at least get a warning indicator on the dash if the fluid drops below an acceptable threshold?

The dealer is about 10 miles away.

I had a perfectly working transmission that may have had a leak in the pan originally according to dealer, but I never had this issue until after the tranny service and now this is the second time! The dealer is top notch been using them and taking all my benzs there for years, they'll make it right, that's not the issue.

::::UPDATE::::

The latest is they now say it's not my seals or pan, but the tranny cooling lines that are leaking fluid. And that I need to pay to have them replaced. Seems odd all of the sudden after they do a transmission service, now my car is leaking tranny fluid at high speeds.

Of course they said it's unrelated. I would fight it, but I get a mean friends and family discount that leaves me only paying $300 or so. I told them I'm not happy (in other words don't even think about sending me a survey). I don't buy their excuse that it's unrelated. Let's see...

1. No tranny problems, told a minor minor drip due to crack in pan when having another service done. Told since I'm having the pan replaced, might as well do the fully tranny service.

Done.

2. (3) days later, white smoke and leaking tranny fluid.

3. Take it back "not sure what may have happened but we'll take care of it, could be we didn't seal it well". Get car back, no leaks.

4. A week later (again at high speed driving), white smoke, tranny leak again.

5. Oh it's your tranny cooling lines leaking and I have to pay.

Seems suspect to me that it's unrelated. But I know sh*t happens. Doing the other service may have amplified the issue of the tranny cooling lines leaking, as long as we're not talking about tons of money, I just want it done right before next time the entire tranny goes up.

If it weren't for the white smoke I wouldn't even know I was leaking tranny fluid unless I left a puddle somewhere. That's scary.

Last edited by lexnoir; 07-09-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Update from svc dept.