CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Vibration

Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL216
Unhappy Vibration

Hi. Dearly love my CL216 but have a couple of issues that are seriously draining my confidence in it. Any help would be appreciated.
Vibration through seats at 60mph and over. Vibration can also be felt through steering wheel but less so. ive changed track rod ends and cant feel any play in any of the arms. i believe front arm bushes are "common"? If so, lower front or lower front rear?
Finally, If car is stood for a couple of days, on driving the vibration is worse until it is warm then it reverts to normal. I may end up replacing alloys and front arms but could do with a little help from the experts on here.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cl 500 216
Could be tyres ? it would be handy if you new someone that would let you try another set up front
Old 12-12-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
That sounds very much like tires, have them road-force balanced and checked for any irregularities.

To rule out drivetrain, shift the car manually down a gear or two, this will increase engine and transmission input speeds. If there's no change in the vibration, it has to be something further down.

Normally, felt in the seat vibrations are from the rear axle or driveshaft, not the front end. I'd have the center support bearing of the driveshaft inspected as well.

But balance the tires first.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL216
Vibration

Thanks for your replies. Had tyres checked today and balanced. Seems I have two slightly buckled alloys. One front and one rear. Centre bearing looks fine. Tried downshift and vibration stayed the same. Repair or replace alloys it would appear as the number of weights to balance is excessive and rear already has a weld.
Great support from forum. Thanks.