MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   CL-Class (W216) (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w216-80/)
-   -   COMAND SSD Upgrade /Hard Drive Replacement (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w216/698598-comand-ssd-upgrade-hard-drive-replacement.html)

megacrazy 03-05-2019 12:51 PM

There's an image available. The program used is kind of a moot point. You can easily transfer the image to a blank drive.

megacrazy 03-06-2019 12:23 PM

You need to replace the hard drive first if it's broken. You also should have the latest firmware so you may need to update that with SDS. Also, this is the W216 forum, which uses NTG3/NTG3.5, not NTG2.5.

BBanzai 03-09-2019 03:09 PM

FYI I was able to find the exact Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter on Amazon last week. I received it and it looks exactly like the one in the photos above.

But I'm having a tough time finding an industrial SSD in stock. So I ordered an ordinary one - let's see how that works!

Thanks megacrazy for this guide and for making the image available!

megacrazy 03-10-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BBanzai (Post 7701284)
FYI I was able to find the exact Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter on Amazon last week. I received it and it looks exactly like the one in the photos above.

But I'm having a tough time finding an industrial SSD in stock. So I ordered an ordinary one - let's see how that works!

Thanks megacrazy for this guide and for making the image available!

Oh good. I see it's in stock again. I might buy a spare myself just in case. I thought they stopped making it.

You might have issues in cold weather...but you never know. Let us know how it works and the model you got.

BBanzai 03-17-2019 10:47 AM

I replaced by bad hard disk drive with an SSD thanks to help from Megacrazy and documented it over on the W221 board. The Navi system now works perfectly! I'm also willing to provide the image in a format suitable for Mac or Linux people using Etcher if you don't have Windows. PM me.

nephilim1973 04-20-2019 08:09 AM

Hi, some good news and some bad too :)

I got it working, seems like a consumer battery was to poor to power it, new one in and satnav on :)

But, US maps preloaded, and on inserting EU maps DVD getting this 'unknown dvd format' message, DVD-ROM bought on ebay but looks dogs bollox genuine to my eyes and im not a newbie on this,

might need to visit MB dealer to perform the change over, but this shouldnt be expensive now HDD all happy again.

THANK YOU to Megacrazy for your time and help, learnt a lot about my beast in the process.

megacrazy 04-20-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by nephilim1973 (Post 7736913)
Hi, some good news and some bad too :)

I got it working, seems like a consumer battery was to poor to power it, new one in and satnav on :)

But, US maps preloaded, and on inserting EU maps DVD getting this 'unknown dvd format' message, DVD-ROM bought on ebay but looks dogs bollox genuine to my eyes and im not a newbie on this,

might need to visit MB dealer to perform the change over, but this shouldnt be expensive now HDD all happy again.

THANK YOU to Megacrazy for your time and help, learnt a lot about my beast in the process.

No problem. Glad you got it working again. The error you are getting now could be a faulty dvd drive or a map dvd that doesn’t work. I’m sure you’ll have it figured out.

mpedral 05-16-2019 04:45 PM

partitons

How to open these QNX4 partitions? how to clone it to a SSD? I've attached to a ide/usb adapter but it doesnt initialize the original hd and doesnt recognize the partitions.

nephilim1973 05-16-2019 04:57 PM

Just use imaging software Macrum Reflect, there is no way of accessing hdd from windows, and even linux. download Macrum, make an image and then upload it to a new drive. Then just follow Magacrazy's write up. That works 100% providing your old hdd isnt toasted.

mpedral 05-16-2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by nephilim1973 (Post 7757218)
Just use imaging software Macrum Reflect, there is no way of accessing hdd from windows, and even linux. download Macrum, make an image and then upload it to a new drive. Then just follow Magacrazy's write up. That works 100% providing your old hdd isnt toasted.

Tks for the fast reply.
would you know if it’s possible to access the arquives? I need some of my nav arquives to create an minimum sd to update it? And regarding add some more space for the music register?

regards.

nephilim1973 05-17-2019 12:58 AM

Are we talking NTG3 here? All the info here works only for NTG3 system and not for any other.

mpedral 05-17-2019 06:22 AM

Would be for the NTG 4.5. Would you know how would it work?

mpedral 05-17-2019 02:43 PM

The problem is that the comand original hard drive is shown as not initialized, and then it doesnt get recognized on the Macrum. Can I initialize it as MBR or GPT? i'm afraid to fry it.

megacrazy 05-17-2019 03:30 PM

Guys, as mentioned before this is for NTG 3. Other versions have copy protections you have to deal with and other hoops. The images are also not cross-compatible, obviously. As a general starting point, you should be able to image all drives, regardless of version though. Windows won't see them but partitioning/imaging tools should see them. If you see nothing connected, then check your adapters/drives.

If you are looking for images other than NTG3, check *******.com.

Also, before you decide to invest 300 hours into increasing the space that's available on the "music" partition of your NTG4 system or other mundane improvements, consider buying a brand new Android unit and spending 2 hours installing it and being way ahead in terms of technology.

the_saucerer 09-08-2019 04:48 AM

Does anyone have a copy of the HDD image that they wouldn't mind sharing with me so I can try to get my command up and running again?

Many thanks in advance

Dan14587 02-10-2021 08:24 PM

W221 dead hard drive replacement

Hi gents,
I was wondering if anyone can guide me with my w221 comand system. My hard drive died on me got fried by the looks of it lol. I got a replacement hard drive can anyone please be so kind to help me get it up and running. I have a good laptop at hand running Windows 10, replacement hard drive and the ability to connect it to the laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time in advance

Dan14587 02-11-2021 02:19 PM

W221 HELP PLEASE

Hi guys,
I have a 2013 w221, are there any admins or gurus around that would be so kind to point in the right direction regarding w221 comand hhd. I have bought a replacement hhd, does it have to be formated or partitioned at all? Will a specific comand aps dvd load everything itself and correct the hhd partitions and files itself? Really really would appreciate any help at all.
many many thanks in advance

EasyPhil 02-11-2021 02:28 PM

You need an image of your drive or the image of a drive from a similar car. If you use something like a Acronis you can easily transfer an image to that drive.

Dan14587 02-11-2021 06:04 PM

Thanks for the reply EasyPhil. Do you know where I can get the image from? Really appreciate your time

BenzNinja 02-12-2021 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dan14587 (Post 8268790)
Thanks for the reply EasyPhil. Do you know where I can get the image from? Really appreciate your time

from your drive
as said, use a drive clone software like acronis

Dan14587 02-12-2021 11:25 AM

Hey EasyPhil my hhd was fried. Had burn marks on 2 corners and abit on the board. Very surprised merc don't make them insulated with some kind of thermal sleeving

megacrazy 02-13-2021 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dan14587 (Post 8268790)

PM me your email and I’ll add you to the file. You’ll need to update maps after after as the image comes with like the first version ever maps :D

minek123 12-30-2021 04:51 PM

Can someone specify what is the size of the original PATA disk?
I see the ADATA ssd in the 1st post is 32GB, but perhaps 8GB will be big enough?

raymond12257 05-04-2022 06:42 PM

can anyone email me a copy of the image of your drive, I have a 2010 cl 63 amg and the navigation has not been working for too long. Thanks

Vahebaldemian 05-05-2022 06:21 AM

Excuse my ignorance

I have an '09 CL63 but i have no idead what-so-evverr what y'all are talking about. If at all possible can someone explain what this is all about in a dumbed down fashion thanks