S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

NTG3 COMMAND Navigation Hard Disk Replacement with SSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 S65 AMG
NTG3 COMMAND Navigation Hard Disk Replacement with SSD

As documented over on the CL forum by megacrazy, I have replaced the failed hard disk drive in my 2008 S65 NTG3 COMMAND head unit with an SSD. I thought it would be worthwhile pointing out this repair thread for S-Class owners, as well as documenting my success.

First, the issue. The NTG3 head unit stores the Navigation maps on an internal hard disk drive located inside the head unit under the PCMCIA slot. This is an old-style 2.5-inch 9.5 mm ATA/IDE mobile hard disk drive. Mine had a 20 GB Toshiba MK2028GAC. The maps are loaded from a DVD, which was issued every year but stopped with version 15 in 2016 for North America. If the hard disk drive dies, Navigation will not load.

Next, the symptoms and diagnosis. When I selected "Navi" in my 2008 S65, it prompted me to load the maps: "The system software has been updated. The map software must be updated now. Please insert the DVD with the map software." Happily I had a (v11 USA) maps DVD so I tried following directions, loading it in slot 1 of the changer and pressing OK. But it immediately rejected the DVD with the cryptic error message about not recognizing the DVD format. These are the classic symptoms of a bad COMMAND navigation hard disk drive.

I removed the hard disk drive from my head unit to verify that it was bad. The head unit removal is well documented, but be careful with the fiber optic cables! The hard disk drive is mounted in the bottom beneath a hatch. Unscrew the screws, press the two metal tabs, and carefully remove the hatch. Carefully unplug the hard disk drive cable (pull straight out so you don't bend or break a pin). Then disassemble the shock-absorbing hard disk platform which is attached to the hatch. Remove the two tiny springs and you can pull apart the two main pieces. Then unscrew the hard disk from its platform using a T9 screwdriver. Be careful not to lose any of the springs - they will try to escape!

I diagnosed and replaced the hard disk drive using a USB to IDE adapter. Diagnosis was easy: Attach the HDD from the Navi and listen to it go "tick tick tick tick" and not spin up with a "whir".

Like Megacrazy, I replaced mine with an SSD. This offers faster loading and should be more durable. Plus 20 GB IDE drives have been out of production for a decade! I used the exact same parts as Megacrazy. These are industrial-rated for temperature resistance, which is important in this use case. Also, they work.

Total cost was about $70 shipped. I got the Ableconn from Amazon and the Innodisk from eBay.

Install the mSATA SSD in the Ableconn adapter and connect it to your IDE controller to make sure it works.

I also obtained an image of a working Navigation hard disk drive from Megacrazy (thanks man!) and restored that to the SSD but you might not need to do this. His image uses the popular Windows software, Macrium Reflect, and is of map software version 4. Being a Mac user, I took a moment to create an image for the cross-platform Balena Etcher software, which I can share if needed.

I reassembled everything and reinstalled it in the car. It worked perfectly immediately! Awesome!

Next, since I had a v11 DVD handy, I updated the maps. This took about 45 minutes with the car in accessory position, since that big V12 burns a lot of dinosaur juice. Although it's not the latest version, it's mostly correct and sure beats the ancient version 4 maps.

If you'd like help with this, I might be able to assist. But please buy the right parts first! Also, I would be happy to pay it forward and share my cross-platform v11 disk image. And I'd welcome a v15 DVD if you happen to have a spare!

Last edited by BBanzai; 03-23-2019 at 11:11 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BBanzai:
gregreid (05-29-2019), matiuscomputers (01-22-2022), nath_h (10-02-2022), Parkl (05-04-2019), Versace777 (01-25-2023)
Old 10-01-2022, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
That's awesome! @BBanzai or @megacrazy, have you tried increasing the space available for the music register? Is it as simple as extending a partition?
Old 10-01-2022, 05:04 PM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
2007 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by smihb
That's awesome! @BBanzai or @megacrazy, have you tried increasing the space available for the music register? Is it as simple as extending a partition?
There's no music register in NTG3.
The following users liked this post:
smihb (10-04-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:37 AM

s class
Hi , i need copy of the HDD image NTG 3 , I cant read the old HDD to clone it s i dont have the password.
a
Old 12-08-2022, 06:44 AM

Received 276 Likes on 179 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:16 AM

w221
Hello , please can anyone share with me image of ntg3 hdd , harencguri@gmail.com is my mail. Thank you very much