CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Command Unit replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2021 | 08:35 PM

2010 CL550 4Matic
Command Unit replacement

So the dealer is now telling me I need to replace the command unit in my car and they want almost 10K for install and replacement. I am not paying that.
I went to a few audio spots and they all said to just find a used unit and replace. OK seems easy enough. I searched and I am finding several units from 07-09 for 6-650 dollars. The only 2 units I find for 10-14 which mine is a 2010 is going for well over 1K. My question is can I use a 07-09 unit in my 2010 CL? Trying to save a little money here but if I can’t then I’ll just spent the 1K but that doesn’t even include installation,

Ive seen YouTube videos on changing them out but not sure Id like to get into doing it myself. Im good with my hands but I’m not with car electronics, Any guidance is very appreciated

Thanks
Old 12-18-2021 | 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Doublea66
So the dealer is now telling me I need to replace the command unit in my car and they want almost 10K for install and replacement. I am not paying that.
I went to a few audio spots and they all said to just find a used unit and replace. OK seems easy enough. I searched and I am finding several units from 07-09 for 6-650 dollars. The only 2 units I find for 10-14 which mine is a 2010 is going for well over 1K. My question is can I use a 07-09 unit in my 2010 CL? Trying to save a little money here but if I can’t then I’ll just spent the 1K but that doesn’t even include installation,

Ive seen YouTube videos on changing them out but not sure Id like to get into doing it myself. Im good with my hands but I’m not with car electronics, Any guidance is very appreciated

Thanks
They’re not interchangeable. One is NTG 3.0 and the other NTG 3.5. Also 1k for a unit is more than reasonable considering new prices. Installing it is simple and is basically pulling some trim pieces off and swapping the units.

That being said, these units can usually be fixed. What’s wrong with it?
The following users liked this post:
COUPCONNOISSEUR (01-14-2022)
Old 12-18-2021 | 05:59 PM

2007 CL600
There's an ebay seller, garageman01, on ebay who specilizes in mercs. I believe he offers a 30-day return policy is parts are defective. I just purchased seats from him. They've not yet been delivered, but he may have what you're looking for.
Old 12-19-2021 | 04:26 PM

w216
Why not go for an Android unit instead?
Old 12-19-2021 | 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by mvohra
Why not go for an Android unit instead?
An android unit doesn’t replace comand. It just adds Android.
Old 12-19-2021 | 08:11 PM

2004 SL600
A new Head Unit gives you Apple/Android CarPlay which gives you Google Maps, Pandora, Spotify, hand-free phone calls/messaging and much more. Costs much less than $1000.
Old 12-19-2021 | 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by mrvedit
A new Head Unit gives you Apple/Android CarPlay which gives you Google Maps, Pandora, Spotify, hand-free phone calls/messaging and much more. Costs much less than $1000.
And no sound or car settings if your comand unit is broken. The Android units are around 4-500 based on where you get them.
Old 12-20-2021 | 07:57 AM

2010 CL550 4Matic
Yes but does the command unit support the android unit? If the command unit isn't working properly will the android unit work? I would think not but I am not certain that's why I am asking this here.
Old 12-20-2021 | 04:38 PM

2004 SL600
Yes but does the command unit support the android unit? If the command unit isn't working properly will the android unit work? I would think not but I am not certain that's why I am asking this here.
Update: Sorry my mistake, I didn't notice this thread is on the W216 section; I thought it was on the R230 section.

No, for these "older" cars, the Android head-unit replaces the Comand unit completely. Its one or the other.
Megacrazy says that some "Settings" are then lost, but I honestly never even turned on the Comand unit as I immediately switched to installing a CarPlay unit. (I think most "Android" unit support CarPlay, but maybe not all.) I bought my SL600 just a few months ago, but knowing that CarPlay was available was critical to my decision to buy it. I listen to automotive bloggers and YouTube channels or Pandora while driving, also with Waze running.
I understand your question. On my 2013 BMW M3, I also installed CarPlay, but for that "newer" car, its a black box which sits between the screen and the BMW head-unit. So all BMW functions are still available, but so is Apple CarPlay by pressing a button and switching the screen. This is not an option on these MB models.

Last edited by mrvedit; 12-20-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2021 | 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
The android unit cannot work without a functioning comand unit, in terms of sound. Again, it uses the comand AUX input to render any type of sound. So no, it’s by no means a replacement.

Think of it as a tablet hooked up to your aux, nothing more. You cannot change car settings, control massage seats, etc.
Old 12-20-2021 | 06:21 PM

2004 SL600
Originally Posted by megacrazy
The android unit cannot work without a functioning comand unit, in terms of sound. Again, it uses the comand AUX input to render any type of sound. So no, it’s by no means a replacement.

Think of it as a tablet hooked up to your aux, nothing more. You cannot change car settings, control massage seats, etc.
Update: Sorry my mistake, I didn't notice this thread is on the W216 section; I thought it was on the R230 section. Hence the confusion was all mine.

I humbly beg to differ, or perhaps we are confusing each other.
Any modern Headunit, e.g. an Android, will give you excellent sound through the use of a "MOST" adapter which connects to the fiber optic line to the BOSE amplifier. The AUX Outputs (L&R) from the head-unit are plugged into the MOST adapter.
As I mentioned, I have no idea what (minor) car settings are only available from the Comand unit. The steering control buttons still access various settings. I have full control of my massage seats with the dedicated seat buttons.
As far as I can tell, nothing was lost and much was gained and the sound quality with e.g. Pandora is excellent.

Here is a very detailed thread on the topic of replacement modern head-units:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...0-radio-2.html

Last edited by mrvedit; 12-20-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2021 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I humbly beg to differ, or perhaps we are confusing each other.
Any modern Headunit, e.g. an Android, will give you excellent sound through the use of a "MOST" adapter which connects to the fiber optic line to the BOSE amplifier. The AUX Outputs (L&R) from the head-unit are plugged into the MOST adapter.
As I mentioned, I have no idea what (minor) car settings are only available from the Comand unit. The steering control buttons still access various settings. I have full control of my massage seats with the dedicated seat buttons.
As far as I can tell, nothing was lost and much was gained and the sound quality with e.g. Pandora is excellent.

Here is a very detailed thread on the topic of replacement modern head-units:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...0-radio-2.html
Are we talking about a CL here or just in general? Yes, you can use an adapter “in general”. On the S/CL, the comand unit is far more integrated than a 2003SL. You can remove the headunit from that car without issues. On the S/CL the comand knob along with the corresponding buttons connect to the comand unit. No comand unit no controls. Massage controls are also accessed from the comand screen…intensity etc. Other vehicle settings controlled through comand are ambient lighting, interior/exterior lighting, analog clock etc etc. There’s work being done to eventually replace the additional comand functions but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

As far as sound quality, it’s nowhere close. Crack open one of the android head units and you’re looking at cheap components and even worse assembly. You can use a DAC to make it slightly better. Either way that’s neither here nor there
Old 12-20-2021 | 09:25 PM

2004 SL600
You are correct, I unintentionally slipped off the R230 section onto this W216 section.
I apologize that I was confused. I updated my previous posts here.

Googling "mercedes w216 apple carplay" shows that similar to my 2013 BMW, a black box can be installed between the screen the MB headunit to make it possible to have the MB functions, yet also toggle into Carplay.

Last edited by mrvedit; 12-20-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2021 | 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
You are correct, I unintentionally slipped off the R230 section onto this W216 section.
I apologize that I was confused. I updated my previous posts here.

Googling "mercedes w216 apple carplay" shows that similar to my 2013 BMW, a black box can be installed between the screen the MB headunit to make it possible to have the MB functions, yet also toggle into Carplay.
Yup, or you can get one of the Android displays. Some have wireless CarPlay built in. Same end result. Eventually they’ll have full features implemented but it will take time. There’s a lot of communication on the CAN bus, especially diagnostic related that’ll have to be replicated for things to be 100%. Making the car believe the comand unit is still there will take some work. I’m actually working on integrating the seat functions in one of my apps as I’m tired of going into comand to select massage settings.

I was excited for a second that somebody replaced the comand unit altogether without issues
Old 12-23-2021 | 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
For some models, Mercedes can supply rebuilt COMAND units. Your dealer may not have quoted that.

Also when considering replacing your unit with something aftermarket, remember that your vehicle clock (on dash) is controlled by the COMAND unit ... so verify you won't lose that with the aftermarket unit.
Old 01-14-2022 | 05:18 PM

2010 CL550 4Matic
UPDATE: I bought a used command unit with the exact same part number as mine and I swapped it out real quickly but I am having the same exact problem. It says no connection and I get no audio at all. Even MB Dealership said to replace the command unit. Not sure what to do now. I do get everything else working like NAV and seats etc. but nothing audio. Could there be something else elsewhere in the car that is bad???
Old 01-15-2022 | 09:19 PM

'08 CL65
Not sure if this will help: https://w221audio.wordpress.com
Old 04-06-2022 | 02:54 PM

2010 CL550 4Matic
UPDATE: I did tons of research and found a MB electronics repair company in Van Nuys CA, Hi Tech Electronics. They were very professional and honest. I sent them my command unit and they found no issues with it, so they asked me to send my tuner and AMP from the trunk area. So I shipped it and they found the tuner had an issue. They fixed it and ensured everything was working, Mailed the units back, I installed them really quickly and BAM !! My system is back up and running great. Cost was $478.00 with shipping. A whole lot less from what my local MB Dealer wanted to charge. The wanted 10K for a new command unit and that wasn’t even the problem. Useless Dealer !!! If anyone need electronic repairs, call Hi Tech Electronics. They did a great job and very inexpensive……
The following 3 users liked this post by Doublea66:
nath_h (04-07-2022), Olsyno (09-20-2022), wizee (04-08-2022)