SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Upgrade 2003 SL500 Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
Another question. Does the new head unit have a slot for cd use and did the original cd player behind the seat still work with new jvc unit.
thx
Old 02-02-2021, 03:49 PM
SPONSOR

Received 818 Likes on 634 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by theboogers
original cd player behind the seat still work with new jvc unit.
thx
of course NOT
but wait for his response if you want
Old 02-02-2021, 05:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Another question. Does the new head unit have a slot for cd use and did the original cd player behind the seat still work with new jvc unit.
thx
The new JVC unit does not have a CD player. I have not used a CD for several years. I removed all of the old sound system with the exception of the speakers and subwoofer.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
Originally Posted by jmonty21
The new JVC unit does not have a CD player. I have not used a CD for several years. I removed all of the old sound system with the exception of the speakers and subwoofer.
actually was looking at jvc 850 w cd slot. Wondered if existing cd player would tie in. Thx all
Old 02-02-2021, 05:15 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
actually was looking at jvc 850 w cd slot. Wondered if existing cd player would tie in. Thx all
Good question. I would be surprised if you could send signals to the MB CD changer in the back from the new JVC unit. You may be able to use it as an input signal to the new JVC head unit but not sure how to control the CD changer as I doubt the JVC unit could communicate with the changer like the Comand unit could.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
I love this thread - I too have the 2003 SL500 and would LOVE to upgrade my radio - but I'm scared - I can honestly say, the sound system in my car is THE best one I have ever head - I really don't want to mess that up, but I'd like to be brought into the 21st century

I saw this and searched it, it appears people have used this model, wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this - really would like to be as seamless as possible, without losing all the COMAND sound/features

https://www.seicane.com/android-gps-...usb-sd-s018817
Old 02-16-2021, 08:36 AM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
All,

Last week I had my Comand unit replaced with a JVC unit with Apple CarPlay and numerous other 21st century features that did not exist in my 18 year old SL 500. I could not be happier. I lost the ability to change the volume on the steering wheel but that was a small trade off for the array of features I gained from the transformation. It’s like night and day. My 2003 MB now seems current.

Also, I had an Alpine amplifier installed to drive the subwoofer and center channels. Initially I was going to do the install myself to save money but after buying the head unit and amplifier from Best Buy i was convinced to at least consider their installation guy to install the units as they do installation free if you purchase the hardware from them.

I went into installation day with a pessimist approach but after spending 20-30 minutes with the tech I decided to move forward with the install. He let me know that if I was not 100% satisfied with his work he would reinstall my MB system and give me a full return on the equipment that I purchased from Best Buy if I wanted. He said he had performed roughly 40 Mercedes installs in his 14 years at Best Buy which is a big reason I moved forward.

The sound is not 100% of what the Bose system delivered before but it is dammed close. If Bose system is a 10 the new system is a 9. The install tech also said that I could achieve even better sound if I replace the current door speakers which Best Buy will install for nothing if I buy from them. I’ll likely be doing that soon and would have done it the same day if time would have permitted.

Bottom line is, don’t be afraid to make the transformation from the archaic Bose/Command system if you have a good installation technician. I was told several times to not let someone mess with my Comand system as ‘you’ll be sorry for it’ which is why I was so cautious to make the change. However, after my wife aid “either get a radio that I can take calls on or get me a new car” I decided it was worth the chance. Can’t tell you how happy we both are.

BTW, my total cost for the transformation was roughly $500. So far it’s the best half a grand I’ve spent on this car.

Good Luck!
UPDATE:

While I have been enjoying my updated JVC sound system for several weeks, I decided to take the recommendation Chris gave above and add the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 in order to gain Steering Wheel Button control. I did the install myself after reading the installation instructions several times and it was not difficult at all.

Since I had access to the back of the new head unit I decided to add a backup camera as well. It was more time consuming but worth the effort it took to run the Video cable to the rear of the car.

I hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about updating their sound system.

And thanks to Chris for his recommendation on the Metra piece as well as the instructions he sent me privately.
The following 3 users liked this post by jmonty21:
Giorgos (12-29-2022), latemodel21 (02-17-2021), mbprince (11-03-2023)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:21 AM

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
Informative, motivating thread. I will tackle this next. Got one or two ABC issues to sort out then...

The radio! This will be the last, I mean next, job on the car. My 2004, Australian spec'd SL500 has a standard, non-Bose speaker system; should any double-DIN head unit interface with that OK? I'm pretty sure the car has no separate amplifiers but I'd like to know how to check that first.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-17-2021, 08:32 AM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Tom, I wish I had a good answer for you but unfortunately I don't know if a non-Bose system has a separate amplifier or not. I would guess that it does but is less sophisticated than the Bose system. Regardless, you can use any Double DIN head unit to drive your existing speakers. You may want to add a separate amp along with your new head unit depending on the power output to drive your speakers. I would recommend the Spiral Audio double DIN bezel for a custom fit/look.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
06 SL500
UPDATE:

While I have been enjoying my updated JVC sound system for several weeks, I decided to take the recommendation Chris gave above and add the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 in order to gain Steering Wheel Button control. I did the install myself after reading the installation instructions several times and it was not difficult at all.

Since I had access to the back of the new head unit I decided to add a backup camera as well. It was more time consuming but worth the effort it took to run the Video cable to the rear of the car.

And thanks to Chris for his recommendation on the Metra piece as well as the instructions he sent me privately.
Thanks for the update. I am planning on getting the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 with the AVIN MOST fiber optic adaptor but it is not clear to me how the ASWC-1 should be connected. Can you give a summary of the principle of how it work to control the head-unit?
Old 02-17-2021, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
UPDATE:

Happy to help !
for anyone else who could use this info,
attached is the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 instruction sheet that is specific to the 2003-2004 r230. I saved it years ago and recently when I looked at metra's site I could no longer find it
Attached Files
Old 02-17-2021, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by LanceDal
Thanks for the update. I am planning on getting the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 with the AVIN MOST fiber optic adaptor but it is not clear to me how the ASWC-1 should be connected. Can you give a summary of the principle of how it work to control the head-unit?

here are the instructions for the 2005 to 2008 R230
https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/AXSWC_INST_707.pdf

the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 on an R230 (well on my 2003 at least) allows you to use the 4 buttons on the right side of the wheel to control your head unit. The + and - will control the volume and the 2 other buttons can be assigned as you choose (pick up phone and hang up phone is how I use them) ... ADDITIONALY, the 2 NON-volume control buttons can be assigned a second function. So you end up with volume up and down and then up to 4 other functions (using the 4 buttons on the right side of the wheel).

hope that helps,
Chris
The following 2 users liked this post by latemodel21:
Frederick NL (02-17-2021), mbprince (11-03-2023)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:26 PM

06 SL500
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Happy to help !
for anyone else who could use this info,
attached is the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 instruction sheet that is specific to the 2003-2004 r230. I saved it years ago and recently when I looked at metra's site I could no longer find it
Thanks for the doc.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:32 PM

06 SL500
Originally Posted by latemodel21
here are the instructions for the 2005 to 2008 R230
https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/AXSWC_INST_707.pdf

the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 on an R230 (well on my 2003 at least) allows you to use the 4 buttons on the right side of the wheel to control your head unit. The + and - will control the volume and the 2 other buttons can be assigned as you choose (pick up phone and hang up phone is how I use them) ... ADDITIONALY, the 2 NON-volume control buttons can be assigned a second function. So you end up with volume up and down and then up to 4 other functions (using the 4 buttons on the right side of the wheel).

hope that helps,
Chris
Thanks Chris. I got the doc from the website but wasn't sure if it's for 2006. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
A new owner of 2003 SL500.
For those who have 2003 SL500 Bose audio system how does it sound?
Mine seem to be lacking in base (I have it set to 10) still weak.
I compared it to my non-Bose system from 2005 Lexus - Lexus has the "Thump/Base".
A Bose system is known for great sounds (highs and lows). This one does not have it.
Any suggestion to get the sound quality better is welcome.

BTW - Does the Bose system on SL500 come with a sub-woofer?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:45 AM

SL500 (2002)
ASWC-1

All,

Last week I had my Comand unit replaced with a JVC unit with Apple CarPlay and numerous other 21st century features that did not exist in my 18 year old SL 500. I could not be happier. I lost the ability to change the volume on the steering wheel but that was a small trade off for the array of features I gained from the transformation. It’s like night and day. My 2003 MB now seems current.

Also, I had an Alpine amplifier installed to drive the subwoofer and center channels. Initially I was going to do the install myself to save money but after buying the head unit and amplifier from Best Buy i was convinced to at least consider their installation guy to install the units as they do installation free if you purchase the hardware from them.

I went into installation day with a pessimist approach but after spending 20-30 minutes with the tech I decided to move forward with the install. He let me know that if I was not 100% satisfied with his work he would reinstall my MB system and give me a full return on the equipment that I purchased from Best Buy if I wanted. He said he had performed roughly 40 Mercedes installs in his 14 years at Best Buy which is a big reason I moved forward.

The sound is not 100% of what the Bose system delivered before but it is dammed close. If Bose system is a 10 the new system is a 9. The install tech also said that I could achieve even better sound if I replace the current door speakers which Best Buy will install for nothing if I buy from them. I’ll likely be doing that soon and would have done it the same day if time would have permitted.

Bottom line is, don’t be afraid to make the transformation from the archaic Bose/Command system if you have a good installation technician. I was told several times to not let someone mess with my Comand system as ‘you’ll be sorry for it’ which is why I was so cautious to make the change. However, after my wife aid “either get a radio that I can take calls on or get me a new car” I decided it was worth the chance. Can’t tell you how happy we both are.

BTW, my total cost for the transformation was roughly $500. So far it’s the best half a grand I’ve spent on this car.

Good Luck!
Great thread and good spot with the 2003-04 installation instructions. I’m about to do the same with a 2002 SL 500 in the UK - so the car is D2B but doesn’t have a BOSE amp so speaker cables are at the back of the head unit. You said you managed to install the ASWC-1 yourself. From the picture on the 03-04 instructions I’m not seeing that connector in the amp cubby hole behind drivers seat (UK car). Here’s a picture - did your connectors look the same?

Old 05-29-2021, 09:52 AM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Originally Posted by Roski500
Great thread and good spot with the 2003-04 installation instructions. I’m about to do the same with a 2002 SL 500 in the UK - so the car is D2B but doesn’t have a BOSE amp so speaker cables are at the back of the head unit. You said you managed to install the ASWC-1 yourself. From the picture on the 03-04 instructions I’m not seeing that connector in the amp cubby hole behind drivers seat (UK car). Here’s a picture - did your connectors look the same?
I installed the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 up in front behind the head unit. The connections spliced into the connectors that go to the steering wheel. From this photo, it looks like you are in the cubby where the fuses are located. On my SL that is behind the passenger seat on the right of the car. All of my speaker wires originated behind the drivers seat cubby on the left of the car where the AMP was previously located. Hope that helps.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:51 AM

SL500 (2002)
I installed the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 up in front behind the head unit. The connections spliced into the connectors that go to the steering wheel. From this photo, it looks like you are in the cubby where the fuses are located. On my SL that is behind the passenger seat on the right of the car. All of my speaker wires originated behind the drivers seat cubby on the left of the car where the AMP was previously located. Hope that helps.
Thats very helpful thanks. I was looking in the cubby because the 05-08 instructions suggest accessing the CAN system there. Unfortunately looking behind the head unit it wasn’t immediately obvious which wires/ connectors went up to the steering wheel. Did you see a connector similar to the one pictured in the 03/04 instructions pictured below? Or could you tell me what colour the wires were which you spliced into?

The supplier here does say the ASWC-1 needs hard wired into the steering wheel but they don’t make clear which wires.

Many thanks.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:29 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Thats very helpful thanks. I was looking in the cubby because the 05-08 instructions suggest accessing the CAN system there. Unfortunately looking behind the head unit it wasn’t immediately obvious which wires/ connectors went up to the steering wheel. Did you see a connector similar to the one pictured in the 03/04 instructions pictured below? Or could you tell me what colour the wires were which you spliced into?

The supplier here does say the ASWC-1 needs hard wired into the steering wheel but they don’t make clear which wires.

Many thanks.
I did find the connector that was exactly like the one in the instructions photo and spliced in exactly as instructed in the directions in Pin 8 and 9. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:00 PM

SL500 (2002)
Brilliant thank you. Now I know where and what to look for.

This is what I’m going to install and the fascia adapter now fits in the space so no need to cut the centre console!

Cheers
Ross

Old 05-29-2021, 03:15 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Brilliant thank you. Now I know where and what to look for.

This is what I’m going to install and the fascia adapter now fits in the space so no need to cut the centre console!

Cheers
Ross
Love to see photos of the finished product.
The following users liked this post:
Roski500 (05-29-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 10:18 AM

2003 SL500
2003 SL 500 radio swap

hi, I'm a newbie to this forum. I purchased a 2003 SL500 a year ago and the already swapped out radio head unit recently went out. the Kenwood unit was most likely installed years ago and is no longer in production. I would like to replace it with another unit and want to know what unit i could "almost" plug n play. there was a previous thread regarding a Pioneer AVIC that was mentioned which has all the conveinences i want (blue tooth, GPS, apply play, etc).
question will this fit and how hard is the install?? i'm in central florida area and will drive to whomever and where ever to have it done. enclosed is the exisiting unit.

existing unit burnt out want to replace, any suggesstions? want bluetooth, gps, apple play, mirroring. in central florida, who, what, where can install.. thanks

Old 05-30-2021, 10:32 AM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Originally Posted by 4show
hi, I'm a newbie to this forum. I purchased a 2003 SL500 a year ago and the already swapped out radio head unit recently went out. the Kenwood unit was most likely installed years ago and is no longer in production. I would like to replace it with another unit and want to know what unit i could "almost" plug n play. there was a previous thread regarding a Pioneer AVIC that was mentioned which has all the conveinences i want (blue tooth, GPS, apply play, etc).
question will this fit and how hard is the install?? i'm in central florida area and will drive to whomever and where ever to have it done. enclosed is the exisiting unit.

existing unit burnt out want to replace, any suggesstions? want bluetooth, gps, apple play, mirroring. in central florida, who, what, where can install.. thanks
Any Double DIN head unit would work. There are several videos available to show you how to gain access to the radio on the forum and/or YouTube. It’s not difficult but does take some time and patience.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:56 AM

2003 SL500
ive seen threads of installations by Best Buy, can this be true?
Old 05-30-2021, 11:06 AM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Best Buy did the install on my JVC unit. I did the Metra steering wheel control myself after the head unit was installed. I had Best Buy install mine because they offered free installation since I purchased the JVC unit from them. They had to remove the original Comand unit as well as the Bose amplifier (I am still using the original Bose speakers and I installed a new amplifier). Since you have an aftermarket head unit already installed it would be a very easy swap to a new head unit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Upgrade 2003 SL500 Radio