CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Odd electrical dropout on 2008 CL550 w/15x,xxx mi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2022 | 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Odd electrical dropout on 2008 CL550 w/15x,xxx mi

Hi all,

I was requested to perform some programming on this vehicle last week, and as I arrived I attempted to get in the vehicle and noticed the battery seemed completely flat. Where were zero interior lamps coming on, cluster remain dark, and nothing that should have power without the SmartKey turned on worked.

Presuming I had a completely flat battery, I began looking for a jump box or charger to no avail. I knew I would need to return later with come jumper cables and the battery charger to top-off the battery. As I was gathering the items I had inside the vehicle, I inserted the SnartKey into the EIS, an low and behold the CAN woke up and the vehicle came to life!

It started right up, and I allowed it to idle for about 15 minutes and turned the ignition to position 1, and let it there about 30 seconds or so. The CL550 began acting haunted once again, and from the best I could tell, Circuit 30 lost all power. Removing the SmartKey (sometimes only inserting it into the slot would energize the vehicle, and other times it would need to be rotated to position 1 and power would be restored.

Since this vehicle has dual batteries, I am suspecting the consumer battery in the trunk or possibly an EIS Issue.

What do other members think?

thanks!
Old 04-05-2022 | 05:07 PM

2010 CL550
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Hi all,

I was requested to perform some programming on this vehicle last week, and as I arrived I attempted to get in the vehicle and noticed the battery seemed completely flat. Where were zero interior lamps coming on, cluster remain dark, and nothing that should have power without the SmartKey turned on worked.

Presuming I had a completely flat battery, I began looking for a jump box or charger to no avail. I knew I would need to return later with come jumper cables and the battery charger to top-off the battery. As I was gathering the items I had inside the vehicle, I inserted the SnartKey into the EIS, an low and behold the CAN woke up and the vehicle came to life!

It started right up, and I allowed it to idle for about 15 minutes and turned the ignition to position 1, and let it there about 30 seconds or so. The CL550 began acting haunted once again, and from the best I could tell, Circuit 30 lost all power. Removing the SmartKey (sometimes only inserting it into the slot would energize the vehicle, and other times it would need to be rotated to position 1 and power would be restored.

Since this vehicle has dual batteries, I am suspecting the consumer battery in the trunk or possibly an EIS Issue.

What do other members think?

thanks!
try posting this in the w221 forum. They may be able to help