CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Potential buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 07:38 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec, 1987 190e 2.6
Potential buy

I have found a CL63 and have longed for a MB coupe for many years, I wanted an SEC but those are rare and my 190e already fills the retro spot in my personal MB collection.

i test drove the CL63 and fell in love,I know for a fact it is the car for me but of course want to be cautious as they age on top of already being an expensive car to maintain.

i am capable of doing basic maintenance on my own as I have maintained my 190e and e320 diesel the past 5 years 80% on my own. If I acquire the C216 I will
never buy another car again and keep these 3 as my personal collection/fleet.

the car drove fine and had no CEL but I scanned the car and it has several
misfire codes for cylinder 8. that is the only issue I found outside of it already having ABC(no issues observed currently). The car sits right and levels itself, it is about to hit 100K miles and had new front struts at 50k. Is this car something I should even entertain buying?a misfire is well within my skill level and patience for solving along with regular maintainence , I plan to keep all my cars forever and was wondering what I might be getting myself into before pulling the trigger on the CL63 with 100k miles.

i am aware of the ABC and don’t mind as I can simply park the car until I can fix whatever MIGHT go wrong. I make over 70K a year is this is a vehicle I can stomach being an enthusiast with moderate skill and willing to get dirty? All are welcome to chime in, is it worth it?
The car is listed for 17k

Last edited by BetterDaze; 10-06-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 11:21 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 E550, 2011 E350, 2012 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
Just to start off, I'm by no means an expert. It's well a known the M156 had some minor issues with head bolts, cam wearing issues, and the camshaft adjusters (a lot of these issues YOU can repair and fix yourself, folks have had great success with the 1:1 head bolt method). Do all cars have these problems, no. Either way if your technically and mechanically inclined then buy it! I've saved tons of money wrenching on my own Benz's. $17k is a very attractive price however, how many owners, service history, and title status (salvage? Wheres the catch). These are things to watch out for... I myself am bias to the M273 so I'm in the market for an '08+ CL550!

I do have an R230 ('07) with ABC and haven't experienced any issues over the last 22k miles of ownership (121k miles currently). I did perform an ABC service (flush + filter) and added QMI stop leak to the reservoir as a preventative due to some minor sagging overnight per the recommendation of another member.

Things you'll need/should do by 100k miles:
- Transmission service
-Differential service
- Plugs (Maybe coils)
- Belts/Tensioner
-ABC Accumulators

FCPEuro will be your best friend!

Last edited by SemihG; 10-06-2024 at 11:26 PM. Reason: adding expected service
The following users liked this post:
BetterDaze (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 12:05 AM

Thank you, SemihG! It was 19k at first but slowly dropping since I’ve been watching it.

The last two sources (2 current MB tech friends and a few YouTube videos) I asked about the head bolt issue say that is mostly an early production issue and a mid production(2008) should be fine. They said the ABC is the only thing to really worry about on these cars but maintenance needs to be on point, I can balance that potential repair cost by doing everything else on my own and from what I can tell it is enough to fix just what is broken with the ABC system not replace/rebuild the whole thing. Seems like fear mongering but MB has used it for so long in so many cars it can’t be that bad right?

The car has 5 owners listed and two of which I can tell are just the “dealer’s taking ownership”. On the car fax, It is a clean title but the front bumper looks slightly off, my e320 is an 08 also with no accidents and similar bumper sag so not too concerned.

i think the catch is that the CL is a car most people will shy away from due to maintenance and repair costs unless they are willing to work on it themselves which most ppl aren’t so they are trying to get rid of it. I will try to get a PPI from my indie this week and if most of the issues I can fix at home I’ll get it.

i looked over the car for 30 minutes no engine leaks, suspension and joints look like they are about to be old but not at that point yet. it drives like a dream but I scanned it while alone and plan to use the misfire codes and needed ABC service as haggle points

I’m not totally against the CL550 but i prefer RWD over 4-matic and the CL55 lacks the chunky look of the CL63

Last edited by BetterDaze; 10-07-2024 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2024 | 12:53 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong if a fairly priced CL63 fell in my lap as well I'd be all over it! I had found an '10 S63 in Az for $15k w/71k miles but the owner sold it out from under me. Later ABC cars are fine. Pull the wheel liners and inspect the hoses coming off the valve blocks, service the fluid 30k/50k miles (depending on humidity). There's a company in FL that rebuilds OEM ABC struts for $395 a piece +/-.

If any of the rubber sections of the hose are sweating simply cut the hard line and remove it from the valve block, repair the hose at a local hydraulic shop, and use a compression coupler to reconnect the hard line. Or flare it if you want to be fancy (the way it should of been from the factory...) ADD THE QMI STOP LEAK (Truebrand in over here in the states) ! I'm telling you that stuff is Magic!

I've taken my nearly 20 year old SL on couple 1000 miles+ trips with no hiccups. Had a couple acceleration sensors go bad which caused some wonky leveling issues. New ones were $25 a piece of eBay (all they were missing was the Mercedes Benz logo tax.) 2008 CL550s w/AMG body package and RWD can be found. Questions is, for how much less? I can't find a sub 100k mile example in the Midwest for less then 15k (and they're 4matic... *ew*). Honestly, I'd take ABC over Airmatic all day every day! The only scary part is if the pumps burns out.

I'm sure the car will be great, it'll need front end work and some odds and ends but remain fairly reliable.

Also! Motor mounts and trans mount will more then likely be shot.

Last edited by SemihG; 10-07-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2024 | 07:12 PM

Well thankfully I had sense enough to get a PPI. They almost had me lol!!! The car seemed okay to me but my mechanic advised against buying this car. He said there is nothing that would make him say absolutely not but there are many issues that I can get a better quality example CL for the price. Basically for 18k I can get this okay CL63 or for the same money get the best CL550. He said stay away from any twin turbo models based on my budget and skill level.

the issues:
-old starter battery
-no service books or history other than the vague carfax
-ABC pump and valve leaking, I heard noise from it when returning the car
-soft close has vacuum leak
​​​​​​-PO cheaped out on tires
-PO has cheap aftermarket brakes
-the door dings and scratches and curb rash I actually don’t mind the car is 15 years old
-engine covers are missing
-resonators deleted
-engine and Trans mounts collapsed- you called it!!
-the front end didn’t feel very tight as I said the joints and bushings looked like they were getting old
-trans pan leak
-front bumper is not original and has a lot of broken hardware and fits a bit off, likely had unreported damage but nothing severe

Indie said these are what you would expect to see on any car this old regardless of what kind it is but still that I should walk away

I was fully planning to but then, the dealership said they would take an offer after I stated why I was no longer interested. I told them to let me do some research and think about , if I can get it for even cheaper should I entertain it or just find another CL? 550s are a good 5-7k cheaper

Last edited by BetterDaze; 10-07-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2024 | 07:15 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I'd offer 13K and see if they go for it. CL's are a hell of a car, as you know......sure why not? Enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
BetterDaze (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 07:17 PM

Thanks Hyperion667, I figure they probably got this car for 7k or less at auction. I was either going to offer them double or deduct the repairs from their list price

Last edited by BetterDaze; 10-07-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old Yesterday | 09:48 AM

Everyone is telling me NOT to buy this car and my indie said he wouldn’t no matter the price.

They are saying it’s too complex too expensive to maintain etc etc….It’s an old AMG I don’t expect it to be cheap or perfect, considering I would be keeping the car forever and it’s not replacing my daily, I don’t see why I can’t fix it up as I go and funds become available.

I think he just has high standards, he can afford Porsches and Maseratis.

I don’t forsee another CL63 popping up, I will make the offer but be prepared to walk away. What’s the max you would gamble on the car?
Old Yesterday | 05:31 PM

Well now I’m going to possibly get a CL550 RWD with 60k miles. Same price as that CL63 but with proper maintenance and honestly it drives almost the same. I’m excited, what are some way diy mods and preventative maintenance I should look to do first
Old Today | 11:18 AM

The motor mounts and trans mounts will be shot on the 550 as well, you can test them with the hood up, in gear, foot on the brake, then apply a little gas and see if the motor torques up. In regards to the 63 I believe there are rebuild kits for the pumps. However, I believe a bottle of QMI Stop leak should resolve that. Good rule of thumb is to take 40% of the sale price and be prepared to sink that into the first year of owning any car. I'd walk from the CL63 personally, it'd be one thing if it was just mechanical but the cosmetic problems would be enough to walk. Who wants a beater CL63? Not me...

Especially if it's on a used car lot and not private party/Euro specialized dealer. OR Low ball the hell out of them and be prepared to walk, that's how I got my '07 SL550 w/100k miles for $8k. For that CL63 offer them $8500.00 out the door... between the odds and ends you'll probably end up putting $5000.00 into it. (Not including head bolts..)

To be honest, an +08 CL550 will be a better fit in terms of reliability and dependability. Now with those you have to deal with Airmatic and at 60k miles and being nearly 10+ year olds be prepared to do the front shocks at the minimum (~$1200.00 in parts, not aware of any company that rebuilds airmatic struts but I may be wrong). If only I could find a 550 optioned with ABC !

Same deal...
Motor Mounts
Transmission Service
Differential...
Plugs (Maybe coils)

You can find cheap batteries for these cars by using local shops that specializes in reconditioning car batteries. I ended up getting a MB battery for $75.00! 24 months so far an no problems. (If you're in Illinois/NW Burbs I know of a shop in Addison Ill).

I'm happy with my M273, it has great power and sends my nearly 2 ton SL flying down the highway. Plus, I have some performance options in mind for this beast.

If you find a black CL550 (NO beige interior!), sub 100k miles for less then $10k PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! Let me know. I'll be on the next flight out! If any member stumble on this thread looking to sell theirs, reach out!

Last edited by SemihG; Today at 11:19 AM.
Old Today | 11:52 AM

I truly appreciate your input! I have slowly progressed my knowledge and skills with Mercedes starting with my 190e then e320 but this is a much steeper gap in complexity so this is not a decision I will rush. I do know a V8 coupe is my next Merc. I am scoping RWD CLs or an SEC pretty heavily and will let you know if I find something. My best bet is to wait for a private seller to list one.

I got my last 3 cars cash and was quickly reminded how shady and desperate these car lots can be it is honestly kind of funny. I’ll look the car over again,deep scan it, and see what they say to the issues I point out and go from there.

the SL550 had an issue with the windows lining up and the trunk was broken
Old Today | 04:48 PM

Anytime BetterDaze! Feel free to reach out directly to bounce any idea/purchases. I refuse to buy cars from dealers and deal with their BS. I've had better luck with private party (and cars from Wisconsin).
Old Today | 07:58 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I guess ya gotta decide if you want an AMG (swa-eat!) or a commoners 550
Personally, if I had the pockets, and you said you don't mind, I'd go AMG

Did you make an offer on the AMG?
Old Today | 09:49 PM

Well I’m not rich by any means but I believe you can overcome all barriers with time, patience and will. I looked up all the parts my mechanic said it needed and the only thing expensive is the ABC. It’s not my main car so I’m willing to park it and take my time to restore it. Their price really is for one that has a strong history backing it up and kept stock

I spent some time estimating repair costs so I have something objective to bargain with, I will visit tomorrow.

Last edited by BetterDaze; Today at 09:53 PM.