CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Whats with CL AMG forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65 AMG '05
Whats with CL AMG forum?

Theres practically no activity at all! God.. I think CL is really for old farts. lol

Old 04-23-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
CL55 vs SL55

Originally Posted by James L.
Theres practically no activity at all! God.. I think CL is really for old farts. lol

Funny you say that ! I'm waiting for the new body style of the S/CL in 06/07 and have been thinking about a 55 (or 63?) type vehicle. I have been in a S-Class for the past 4 cars and before I permanently get labeled as an "old fart", I thought I'd get more muscle. My wife thinks I'm crazy for looking at the CL, because the SL is the car to get for those kind of dollars! Maybe the rest of the board is shifting away from the CL for the same reason ?

Last edited by MBZFAN55; 04-23-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:08 PM

2003 CL55
Could be that the reason that the board is not more active is that the CL55 has relatively few problems and attempts to modify it cosmetically beyond the lowering module and adding larger wheels (not "rims") often yield results that are not broadly appealing.
The reason that I got my 55 two years ago is simple. Its design and dynamic capabilities are unique. It can go anywhere and not be out of place. It is not flashy IMO. At the time the 996 TT, and now the 997S, were clearly more fun and satisfying to drive, but at least in Massachusetts a Carrera Twin Turbo, even in black, attracts far too much attention from the police when one is driving smoothly and with the traffic flow. It is just no fun to tolerate the harrassment. As to the SL, I had an 03 and far prefer the CL for a lot of reasons. Next car for me will likely be the new S8. To each his or her own. If one really thinks that the car one drives defines them, they are probably on the wrong forum. BTW, I tend to see older people in Ferrari's, Aston Martins and Bentley GT's and do not judge them. I just wish them well and hope that they are enjoying their rides.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Funny you say that ! I'm waiting for the new body style of the S/CL in 06/07 and have been thinking about a 55 (or 63?) type vehicle. I have been in a S-Class for the past 4 cars and before I permanently get labeled as an "old fart", I thought I'd get more muscle. My wife thinks I'm crazy for looking at the CL, because the SL is the car to get for those kind of dollars! Maybe the rest of the board is shifting away from the CL for the same reason ?
I have both an SL600 and CL500 and I can tell you that my strong preference for a daily driver is the CL. It's far more comfortable, styling is just as good as the SL (IMHO). If had to choose a car for the rest of my life, it would be tough, but I think I'd go with the CL. I'm glad I don't have to choose.

BTW, I'm 38.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Must admit the CL is just one of those car's that looks fine as it is, other than a very low tint and maybe larger AMG OEM wheels. I still think the CL is a great piece of styling, just as much if not more than the SL. Just look at the back window design of the CL, the door joints and the quality of the interior.

I had a CL500 previously, then sold the CL for a new SL. The SL lasted 5 months and then I sold it for another CL(55).

The space, the power and the fact it just blends in but still manages to be a great all rounder. Bentley GT was too 'big' for my liking (just looks too bulky IMO) and does not seem as functional. Plus in London there seem to be 10 GT's to every CL.

All IMO of course
Old 04-23-2005, 11:45 PM

CL65 AMG '05
No offense but I am just so bored out of looking at SL. Even here, there's plenty of SL's around the road though most of them, in fact, 90% of them are SL350 only. Well they still retain the same feature as their stronger counterparts. It IS a flashier car needless to say, i just feel like its so common.

As for CL, I practically can go without seeing them for 3 months. And never have I seen a CL55 here before needless to say a 65. I will sure to enjoy myself when I get my car late may. Merc dealer has delayed on me for 2 months.

CL is more abour fine beauty and curvacious. Where SL is more about sportiness and extreme.. But SL compartment is just too cramp for me. You hae to make sure you take everything/keys/phones/wallet before you sat into the car or it'll be a damn annoyance.. blah.

Well everyone has their own preference. I still think SL styling is superb.. just that its too common on the road. Lets say what if you see Modena everysingle day and no other car? You'll get sick of it as well.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:14 AM

NSX
Before I bought my CL600 I looked long and hard at the SL, mainly because it is a drop top after all and being this is my third car, I didn't need it to be all that practical with room and comfort. But at the very end, my heart was just with the CL6. It felt better and higher quality to me than the SL and the BMW 6 that I was looking at. I have no regrets. It is just so smooth, so comfortable, unique, and it flies under the radar. I fit 4 people in fairly comfortable at times. I love it.

I know what you mean about the lack of activity. I think I am by far the most active person as of late, but I do prefer a place where most owners seem to be mature with common sense and there is not a whole lot of fighting and name calling going on like on other forums.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
I know what you mean about the lack of activity. I think I am by far the most active person as of late, but I do prefer a place where most owners seem to be mature with common sense and there is not a whole lot of fighting and name calling going on like on other forums.
Amen ! Although entertaining at times, some of the other forums appear to be totally out of control. It's nice to see some semblance of decorum occasionally.

Your comments and the posts of others are making me rethink my next purchase. The CL could be the ticket !
Old 04-25-2005, 11:55 PM

2003 CL 55 2003 SL55 2000 S500 DESIGNO, 1999 SL 500 Sport, 1997 S320
Okay I haven't posted for a while but this got the juices flowing. As you can see I've had a few benz, but my 2003 CL55 is absolutley positively the most wonderful ride I've ever owned. My CL now has 38K miles and still feels like new. Every time, I repeat every time I get into this car it feels like the first time. I usually get the feeling after six months to a year that my current car is long in the tooth, but not with my CL, everytime I walk up to it I get the warm fuzzies, I mean it gets the blood flowing. This isn't a car that says, "Look at me", it's a car that says this is luxury. I've had three back fusions and I ride from Orange County to Vegas without one complaint (286 miles door to door).

I can aford almost any car on the menu today but the CL55 stands alone. I now wish I hadn't leased it and I may buy it out at the end of the lease depending on what's out by then. The general manager of my dealership approaches me to look into a CL65 for $180K and I said, "so for another $60,000 I get another 100 hp but the same body?, give me a break", so he turns on his heals and walks away. lol.

The sound when I'm crusing, the acceleration when I hit the throttle and the comfort of a luxury car, who can ask for anything more. My wife and I cruise PCH almost every Saturday afternoon and all I can say is, "Wow". I've had vet's, SL 500 sports and one of the first 2003 SL55's, but I'll stay with my CL55.

Remember it's not your fathers Oldsmobile.

Breeze
Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 AM

2003 CL55
I am relieved to learn that so many of the forum members regard their CL55's as I regard mine and am pleased that this thread has been so civilized with an honest exchange of opinion and information from owners.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:28 PM

i drive an ///M6
that precisely hits all the nails on the heads.......all your comments are what i feel every time i get in mine.....and it's only a 500. i had a clk55 and it was nice and fast, but it was in NO way a CL-- ive had 11 different cars in the last 4 years and i can finally say i finally found the one i was seaching for (although a TT 600 would be nice, too) i'm only 31
Old 04-26-2005, 02:23 PM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Question Just a question

Just a question ...

How many of you ladies and gentlemen are seriously considering trading your current CL 55 or CL 600 for the next generation CL, which I think might be a 2007 model ??

I agree that the current CL is just a pretty perfect ride for a wide variety of reasons also ....and it's just that on top of that, I'm hearing that the next-gen CL will be even one-step beyond the current CL in every way.

I guess that means the next-gen CL will be better handling, smoother, faster, stronger, more luxurious, even more high-tech, and possibly even better looking. .......

I think that if the next-gen CL gets even quite close to all these improvements, there will be a large number of current CL owners who will trade for the new one just to experience the newest of the new .....

I've also been hearing alot about how the current 65's are dropping like a rock already in price ......
will any of you who now own CL 55's, CL 500's, and CL 600's consider trading for a CL 65 in a year or two when the prices drop down to around the price of a used CL 55 ??
I wouldn't be surprised in two years to see 2005 model 65's going for mid-80's.... maybe even less .... and alot of them will probably already have numerous upgrades done to them such as Renntech and Kleemann engine, body, interior, chassis/suspension, and wheel/tire upgrades ...
Old 04-26-2005, 04:58 PM

i drive an ///M6
i'll probably keep mine for 4-5 yrs, but after that, i would seriousely consider that. -- where i live, in a town of about 35000, i'm the only one with a CL(of any year) which keeps it nice and exclusive. -- many folks don't even know what 'she is, other than that she's a benz.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 CL55 '03 G500
I almost always intend to keep my cars indefinitely, but sometimes some thing comes along that I can't resist :-)
One of my favorite Mercedes is the 560 SEC. In my mind that car has stood the test of time and is still desireable today. To me the CL55 is the modern successor to that car. Fifteen years from now, I hope I still appreciate my CL55 as much as I appreciate the 560 SEC now.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 AM

2003 CL55
I have no doubt that the next CL will embody the epitome of design from MB as well as the latest technological advances that will find their way into lesser MB models over the ensuing several years. It will likely be faster and better handling, perhpas even with AWD, although I am told that 4matic is not nearly as good as Audi's quattro, so it may be a substantially revised AWD system for MB. Based on the timing of the introduction of the CLS55, the next CL55 will probably be announced not long after the non-AMG models.

I agree with the post above about the durability of the current design. Time will tell, but so far it seems like it will be among the classic MB's. Given the CL55's performance capabilities, it will be running with the best in its class for some time. Also, how many CL55 owners feel the need for more speed? The car is blindlingly fast stock and can easily be modified to outgun much more expensive GT cars, at least in acceleration and top speed, if not G-forces in cornering due to its mass.

My intention is to keep mine for a long time and to replace my all season Audi with the next S8 or possibly the 03 RS6 or the next RS6.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:20 AM

NSX
I have four cars, the CL6, another coupe, an SUV and a sedan, and I always tell myself "drive another car and keep the milage low on the CL600".... yet I find all sorts of excuses to drive the CL6. A quick hop to the grocery store, the gym, or anything else is always in the CL6. It is so comfortable, so quiet, and so torquey all at the same time that its rather addicting.

After owning many sports cars, I have realized how much I like the combination of quiet, and low RPM torque. I let off on the gas to let the car upshift then get into it at low RPM's just to feel the thrust. Love it... I love this car.