CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Does the CL65 have a locking or limited slip diff?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the CL65 have a locking or limited slip diff?

My CL600 did NOT have a lock or limited slip differential. I forget how they actually described it in the specs, but while they made it sound like it did, it was really only braking of the slipping wheel.

Does anyone know for sure whether the CL65s have a PHYSICAL locking or limited slip rear end (ie: clutch packs or a locker)? I know the marketing and specs make it -sound- like it does, but I'm wondering if again its just traction control like the CL600.

Outrageous they can make a car with 600ft/lb of torque and try to deliver it through one wheel :-)
Old 10-14-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
It is my understanding that the only AMG that has a limited slip differential as standard equipment is the SL65. However, the 030 performance packages upgrade the SL55, CLS55 and SLK55 with limited slip differentials. I totally agree, it makes no sense leave it off of a torque monsters like the CL65 or even CL600.

Tom
Old 10-15-2006, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Rob Allan, MBUSA AMG product manager, has had a couple of chat sessions at the AMG Private Lounge site. In one of them, he said:

Yes. We have installed LSD in the SL65 AMG as standard equipment since torque is so high on that model (1000 N-m / 738 ft - lb), but we have not done this on the E63 AMG. The main reason is that ESP and a number of other chassis systems must be reprogrammed for this specific feature (beware of tuner installations...) and some owners do not like the onset of the limited slip, which can be more abrupt than a standard differential.

MB is so concerned with driveability (compared with, say, BMW) for even its highest-performance cars that it does make for seemingly odd decisions. I can't imagine a CL65 or S65 driver being unhappy with an LSD. S600 and CL600 drivers maybe. But the ones that would mind are the ones that just bought the car for the luxury and never push the car to the point where they'd notice.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
It is very odd. AMG is the performance arm so it seems strange that 030 is even an option. I realise this makes the ride rather rough but if you want smooth power you would go for the 600-series or 550 for the E.

AWD would be the best thing they could do to the 65s, especially when MB develops a 'box that can handle the engines unrestricted 700bhp,900lb/ft potential.

BTW, Tom- Nice stable.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
AMG is the performance arm...but I'm betting a lot of their cars get sold to rich people who only buy AMG because that was the most expensive Benz on the lot. The people on this forum are the few that *really* care about such things as a LSD.

There are two G55s around here, one driven by a mom and another driven by a much older guy. I have seen neither one drive past the speed limit...let alone drive AT the speed limit.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:03 PM
JLP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by davepl
Outrageous they can make a car with 600ft/lb of torque and try to deliver it through one wheel :-)

Every non LSD AMG car I have seen do a burnout always puts down two tire strips, even though they are open diffs the ESP can alternate between both wheels fast enough to lay down a double strip much like a standard LSD.
Also at the 1/4 mile drag strip LSD equipped AMG cars are not any faster than non-LSD but they are able to handle transitions better.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
AMG is the performance arm...but I'm betting a lot of their cars get sold to rich people who only buy AMG because that was the most expensive Benz on the lot. The people on this forum are the few that *really* care about such things as a LSD.

There are two G55s around here, one driven by a mom and another driven by a much older guy. I have seen neither one drive past the speed limit...let alone drive AT the speed limit.

Exactly Mercedes-Benz is known for luxury and comfort and they want to maintain that with the AMGs. For the really performance minded person they created the performance pkg. I like driving hard but would never consider a performance pkg AMG because I like the comfortable drive of a Mercedes.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I don't disagree with any of these comments. MB makes some of the most beautiful and luxurious automobiles in the world. ....but...the AMG performance arm should make cars more focused to driving enthusiasts. The LSD should be standard equipment on these high performance models. It would certainly help close the gap in driving involvement with their arch-nemesis BMW's Motorsports group. I had a 2002 BMW M5 and it was the most sporting sedan I have driven (even ahead of my current RS6). I know the LSD isn't a panacea...but it would help a bit.

Tom

BTW Carl...thanks... but your stable isn't too shabby either.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
There is no excuse for not having an LSD as standard equipment at least on the CL65 models. I was at the strip this weekend and could not do better than a 2.2 60 ft time on stock tires. Managed consistent 12.6s at 119.5 mph. I plan to return with drag radials and maybe an LSD in the future.