CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Attention to those who have test driven both 2003+ CL55 & CL600...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Exclamation Attention to those who have test driven both 2003+ CL55 & CL600...

I know there is alot of threads comparing the Kompressor CL55 to Bi-Turbo CL600 and the main points that are discussed is the performance difference. But my question relates more to the daily driving aspect of both.

How do the seats compare in each model? I looked at some pictures of both models and the CL55 seats look more sportier, but at the same time seems more firm like it is not as comfortable as the CL600 seats. Another thing I'm concerned about is what is the suspension like in both models? Is the CL55 much more harsher than the CL600? Generally what is it like daily driving both of these cars long distance (3+ hours)

In my town it is rare to find these cars in the MB dealer lot. My goal is to get one of the two models that closely resembles a 2002 CL500 AMG sport package which I have had the pleasure of driving for a couple days and it was so beautiful on the highways.

I really want the CL55 over the CL600 but I'm concerned that the sportiness of the AMG CL55 will ruin the drive quality compared to the CL600. My main use for this car is in city driving with ocassional long distance highway trips. I am into track racing like Willow Springs and Laguna Seca stuff so the CL55 would be more beneficial in that aspect.

Please post your insights and if you need any clarification, thank you.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 318is (E36)
I haven't driven either of those cars but I have driven countless other Mercedes Benzes and since no one's replied yet I figured I'd at least give you my two cents: If you're concerned at all about ride quality, go for the more comfortable car. There really won't be any situation in the real world where the stiffer CL55 could take a corner that the CL600 couldn't do just as quick, but living with the car every day you will be glad you got the more comfortable suspension. To me, Mercedes are all about luxury and comfort, that's why when all my friends are buying cars that are faster than each others', I've decided to get a W204 C300, it will lose to pretty much every one of my friends' cars but at least every time I get in it, I'll be sitting in comfortable seats and have a nice sound system to listen to and be in a well built German car. My mom's CLK is in the shop so we have a 2006 C230 as a loaner and I've been driving it all this weekend and I love the car, its a really nice place to be.

But back to your question, I'd say CL600 for you since you care about ride quality and comfort etc. Remember, it's not just the more comfortable suspension either, the non-AMG should come with less sporty tires which means less road noise as well and as you said the seats might be more comfortable, but try to test drive them before you spend that much cash on a car obviously.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The CL55 has a sport and luxo barge ride option.

You're not going to mistake the sport ride for a sports car ride. Try driving a real sports car if you think the CL55 ride is hard.

There is very little difference in the ride quality between the 55 and 600, both have the ABC set up so the adaptive part ids there to help you.

The 600 is probably faster but they're both limited to 155 unless you have an ecu mod.

The exhaust note of the 55 is more aggressive than the 600.

There is a distinct difference in throttle response between the 2, with the 55 being more immediate and the 600 seeming to build speed more slowly in the low rpm's. In the end, the 600 will probably have the edge in speed.

There are more mods available for the 55 engine.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by s2kpunisher

I really want the CL55 over the CL600 but I'm concerned that the sportiness of the AMG CL55 will ruin the drive quality compared to the CL600. My main use for this car is in city driving with ocassional long distance highway trips. I am into track racing like Willow Springs and Laguna Seca stuff so the CL55 would be more beneficial in that aspect.

Please post your insights and if you need any clarification, thank you.
I drive my CL55 every day for ~ 2 hours in what would basically be highway and suburb driving. It's comfortable, but definitely not as comfortable as my wife's E350. If a CL600 has the sport package with the 18" rims, I really can't see how it could be much more of a comfortable ride. Non-sport package, maybe.

When you say city driving, are you literally meaning city driving? I wouldn't try either a CL55 or CL600 for driving frequently in Chicago, as an example. The car is too big and too expensive.

If you do plan to track the car occassionally, the CL55's has bigger brakes stock. That, to me, has always been the big item if one plans on keeping either car relatively stock.

Another item is the tranny software. The CL55 has sport, comfort (2nd gear start, analogous to winter) and manual mode. IMO, sport and comfort just isn't enough, and that is all you get in non-AMG cars unless you get a tranny computer upgrade. Sport mode in newer sport package SL600's is pretty cool because they got either the steering wheel push buttons or paddles for shifting ... but that never happened in the 215 CL600.

Where I can see the CL55 being less comfortable is that the supercharger clutch engagement on the CL55 has some hysterics that show up on every spirited start from a stop. The 600 pulls away smooth as silk. Also, the droning of the CL55 exhaust might be more bothersome for someone than the 600.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 05-07-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 AM

03 CL55AMG Blk/Grey
I was in the same boat as well, I ended up buying a the CL55 after driving them, I was lucky enough to have friends that have both. I've owned it for 6 months now and Love it. As far as the suspension even in sport mode the ride is not what I would consider harsh, and I love the supercharged engine at lower speeds around town, its pretty responsive compared to the turbo's.On the highway they are both awesome vehicles with the nod going to the 600 as far as power. I personally like the Amg seats better than the Cl600's, they are without a doubt firmer than the 600 seats but offer great adjustability.
I really don't think you could go wrong with either vehicle,they're big,comfortable, solid riding and extremely fast for production cars. I've owned my share of E and S class vehicles but after owning the Cl I would never look back.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes E63 S, Boring SUV, 2015 CLS63 AMR Stage 1 (traded), 2015 Audi S8 w/ APR stage 2 (sold)
I love both cars, but I purchased the CL600 instead of the CL55 for two reasons:

First, I see many more 55s and very few 600s. I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of 600s I've seen. I like to have a car that you don't see often.

Second, I liked the fact that the V12TT is so easily tunable by Renntech. I spent $5500 and my car has 625hp and 745tq. MY car hangs with C6 Z06s and Ford GT; the power aspect for me closed the deal on the 600 instead of the 55.

If power is not so important to you, then the "easy tuning" of the 600 may not matter to you. btw, I never drove the CL55, so I don't know how it drives.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM

SL55
^ I'm very aware of the ecu mods for the CL600, I believe it puts the car at mid 11s in the 1/4 mile which is amazing

But I will keep the car stock though.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Almost a Member!

03CL55, 07BMW 328XI Coupe
I drive a 2003 CL55 everyday I have not driven a CL600 but I would suggest getting the V12 over the Kompressor its a rough ride meaning the super charger jerks, squeeks, and I have had problems with my suspension but I think all CL's have the same issues. I would go with the CL600 just for the mere fact super chargers are annoying. But the performance is great just make sure you get a WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!