CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

cl63/s63..here we go again with MB quality (very long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl63/s63..here we go again w/ MB quality (very long) - Part 2 on the CL63 below

I took delivery of my new S63 a week ago Friday. Love the car, as quick as my 03 s55 though mabye missing a little of the "head snap". Overall the car thus far feels much more a driver's car then the s55.

With that being said, while my 03 s55 never had any big mechanical issues, it did have a few of the issues docmented by others here: supercharger belt noise; squeeky pulleys at low temp: gremlins in the headrests; rear speaker blew out - when the car was not even running; multiple returns on check engines lights, etc. etc. Overall I would guess that the car was in the shop 40 days or so over the 52 months that I had it (3 yr lease, then extensions +++ waiting for the s63).

I also was with a friend of mine on Thursday with and 04 s55 that has been a nightmare and he just sold for 40k! Mercedes engine job at 35k! In 5 times over suspension collapsing/deflating. He sold it because he just can't take it any more even though it's still under warranty.

Well everything seems great with my new car until I walked by the car the other day and noticed that the passenger side rear window had a different reflection then the front. I thought nothing of it thinking it was just shadows until last Friday when the car went in for medium tint on the windows. Guess what? The passenger front window had a completely differant shade/tint glass installed in error. While all the other windows in the car have Sun-something AE(I forget right now and I am too lazy to go look right now!), the passenger front has SOLARGREEN. All the correct windows are a bluish/grey more mirrored finish while the wrong one is literally green!

Yelled and screamed about BS MB quaility with my dealer, they received a new glass this morning and installed (great, week-old car and the door has to be taken apart!) and all is well.

Well this afternnon my cousin calls me. He received his new cl63 last Wednesday. He listened to me and felt for me, but had a nice chuckle over my windows. Well guess what - two pieces of glass in his brand new CL63 are a maroon shade of glass, again completely different from the others and clearly wrong. He called MB and new glass is en route and the wrong glass in his car is the standard in the European market.

I guess I may be able to understand if ALL of the glass in the car is wrong as I can see how that may happen. How can you get 1 or 2 pieces wrong? What worries me is the that this was the longest and most mis-managed car launch in history (you add an R63 while delaying this ?????), then the complete lack of pricing in advance, then the navigation fiasco, and now the first two cars delivered to the dealer with wrong pieces of glass? I wonder what else is wrong because of the rush to complete these cars after an agonizingly long and mis-guided (In my opinion) launch process.

Time will tell and I am glad that this is a lease so it's their problem if there is no resale $$$ in 3 years, but if I get a few more problems like the last one this will be my last M car at 47, after owning them since my 84 380sl 23 years ago. They definately seem to have lost some magic.

Sorry this was so long, but you better check the glass on your car if you have a new S63 or CL63

Last edited by billving; 06-05-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by billving
I took delivery of my new S63 a week ago Friday. Love the car, as quick as my 03 s55 though mabye missing a little of the "head snap". Overall the car thus far feels much more a driver's car then the s55.

With that being said, while my 03 s55 never had any big mechanical issues, it did have a few of the issues docmented by others here: supercharger belt noise; squeeky pulleys at low temp: gremlins in the headrests; rear speaker blew out - when the car was not even running; multiple returns on check engines lights, etc. etc. Overall I would guess that the car was in the shop 40 days or so over the 52 months that I had it (3 yr lease, then extensions +++ waiting for the s63).

I also was with a friend of mine on Thursday with and 04 s55 that has been a nightmare and he just sold for 40k! Mercedes engine job at 35k! In 5 times over suspension collapsing/deflating. He sold it because he just can't take it any more even though it's still under warranty.

Well everything seems great with my new car until I walked by the car the other day and noticed that the passenger side rear window had a different reflection then the front. I thought nothing of it thinking it was just shadows until last Friday when the car went in for medium tint on the windows. Guess what? The passenger front window had a completely differant shade/tint glass installed in error. While all the other windows in the car have Sun-something AE(I forget right now and I am too lazy to go look right now!), the passenger front has SOLARGREEN. All the correct windows are a bluish/grey more mirrored finish while the wrong one is literally green!

Yelled and screamed about BS MB quaility with my dealer, they received a new glass this morning and installed (great, week-old car and the door has to be taken apart!) and all is well.

Well this afternnon my cousin calls me. He received his new cl63 last Wednesday. He listened to me and felt for me, but had a nice chuckle over my windows. Well guess what - two pieces of glass in his brand new CL63 are a maroon shade of glass, again completely different from the others and clearly wrong. He called MB and new glass is en route and the wrong glass in his car is the standard in the European market.

I guess I may be able to understand if ALL of the glass in the car is wrong as I can see how that may happen. How can you get 1 or 2 pieces wrong? What worries me is the that this was the longest and most mis-managed car launch in history (you add an R63 while delaying this ?????), then the complete lack of pricing in advance, then the navigation fiasco, and now the first two cars delivered to the dealer with wrong pieces of glass? I wonder what else is wrong because of the rush to complete these cars after an agonizingly long and mis-guided (In my opinion) launch process.

Time will tell and I am glad that this is a lease so it's their problem if there is no resale $$$ in 3 years, but if I get a few more problems like the last one this will be my last M car at 47, after owning them since my 84 380sl 23 years ago. They definately seem to have lost some magic.

Sorry this was so long, but you better check the glass on your car if you have a new S63 or CL63

Why is the title CL/32 S63? I imagine you meant CL63? Your experience sounds incredible ask for 1 month payment to be taken off for selling you a shoddy car
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by juicee63
Why is the title CL/32 S63? I imagine you meant CL63? Your experience sounds incredible ask for 1 month payment to be taken off for selling you a shoddy car
Not a real surprise for MB, with what MB is doing now and the way they do things, I guess the safest bet to buy a CL63 / S63 is when it ran on the market for two years already. So if its a 2008 model, wait til 2010 (that if you can wait) and get that one (2010 model one). MB is "always" like this when you get the first batch of a new model. Been seeing some members here with quality issues as early as first week but look at the bright side, at least its not electrical, engine misfiring or whatever, this time its windows hahahahahahahahhahaaha
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by SL%%
Not a real surprise for MB, with what MB is doing now and the way they do things, I guess the safest bet to buy a CL63 / S63 is when it ran on the market for two years already. So if its a 2008 model, wait til 2010 (that if you can wait) and get that one (2010 model one). MB is "always" like this when you get the first batch of a new model. Been seeing some members here with quality issues as early as first week but look at the bright side, at least its not electrical, engine misfiring or whatever, this time its windows hahahahahahahahhahaaha
get a 600....it's faster.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by SL%%

BMW had similar problems when launching the current 7-series. I guess that's just the way it is. It's a good idea though to stay away from the first cars built..