CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

2005 CL65...Downpayment Placed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still looking...

Found a *local* daily driven CEO owned CL65 (fully loaded-every option-in the color/interior I want) with 28K miles. It was well maintained, but had it's share of chips, dents, and scuffs...

Long story short, the salesman promished a showroom fresh car when I retuned for 85K. I pointed out areas that needed work, and he fixed them but now I notice 1-2 minor problems spotted while it was clean, but under flourescent lights of the hangar and from my flashlight.

The sale is also pending an MB inspection.

The hood has possibly been partially or wholly repainted and shows some wierd discolorations-again under scurtiny and flourescent lighting. The other ares that required work looked awesome.

The trunk also has a wierd circular blemish which the on site detailer thinks he can clean up...short of that, it will need some type of repaint. It is obvious, and bothersome.

Short of that, I want him to provide me the work order to show the work was cosmetic, and not from an accident. I plan on getting an extended warranty, keeping the car 3-4 years, and putting maybe 5-6K garaged miles a year on it, than selling it privately while still under extended warranty.

I like the car and have been searching for a long time, and I don't mind the fact it has had work to bring it to a near showroom quality finish, so long as it hasn't been crashed and the work is professional.

FWIW, I am extremely picky-I guess I want the forums opinions on whether this is a "good" deal for what I am looking for...
Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Just be VERY careful about buying a car of this caliber with prior paintwork... These Mercedes get hit about 10%-15% at auction, even for somewhat minor paintwork issues... The dealer knows this, which is why the car is not being auctioned.. That car would probably do mid-upper $70's at Manheim..

On the outside $85k is a good number. But it may be worth it, to pay up a few thousand(90-92k). For a "pristine" CL65 example... Just my 2 cents..

Last edited by Taximan1; 06-09-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
If you're dealing with a Mercedes dealership, tell them you want it Starmarked. That's the only way to get the Mercedes CPO extended warranty. Third-party warranties for these cars are big headaches, assuming you can find one. Then negotiate for the maximum extension (to seven years from delivery date / 100K miles) at their cost. The CPO will cost you something, because it costs them. But if they refuse, it means there's a reason the car would be ineligible per MB rules. And that's a big red flag.

If this is not an MB dealer, that's another downside to the car.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Thank you for your concern.

It's not a Mercedes dealership but a reputable company that sells high end everything to include lear jets and helicopters. Just recently, they had 3 CL65's to sell.

The car is being repainted in certain areas per my specs due to rock chips, etc.

At this point $5-7K is what I am using for tax and extended warranty, which is warrantied through another Mercedes dealership-a Mercedes warranty.

Also, going up to that level in price does not guarrantee a car in flawless condition either, but almost will guarantee an additional $1K spent in flight, inspections, hotel, gas, etc... I'm tired of travelling to see perfect cars that are not perfect.

By the time they are done, the car will be perfect in everyway except to a paint meter. Most folks only care about a paint meter if someone is covering up and accident (most dealers would do this anyway as part of their initial prep. The last MB dealer I dealt with on a pre-owned going through the CPO process-kept me waiting for two months only to tell me the car was denied due to frame damage).

With the exception of the trunk, the hood need under deep scrutiny has some issues, which depending on the what shows up in the daylight after the detail, I will pass jusdgement. Maybe a drop of a $1K in price, and I can get it reworked myself, or just ok living with it for the 1K savings.

The car will be inspected by Mercedes, and by an outside inspector for accident damage.

After viewing it yesterday, I am not concerned about a low mileage garage queen'ed car and paying 10-15 grand premium more for one. In the end, that will add to a greater loss in a few years.

My car will become a garage queen, and maintain low mileage and not daily driven over the next 2-3 years.

I'll have 93K in the car and it will be warrantied BTB into 2011. It will be as it sat in the showroom to 99% condition, and 95-97% intense scrutiny with the naked eye.

In three years, I figure I will part with it for around $70K with 45K miles on it. It will look almost the same as when I bought it-near flawless condition (that's how I keep my cars).

Is this really bad? Should I spend 10K more and hope to see it on the back end? From the market, it bears a 10K difference between 15K and 25K miles, right?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You actually have realistic expectations of a used car. Admirable. Most people, when they think of "paint work", they assume, incorrectly, worst case scenario.

It's very common to have certain parts of the car repainted, especially the front bumper and hood. It's very hard NOT to have it damaged these days. As long as you know the damage did not compromise the frame, you should see very little depreciation due to paintwork.

Cars only get hit by the 10-15% depreciation at auctions if it has frame damage and engine problems. Many cars that go through auction have PPW (prior paint work) and as long as it's acceptable work, they will sell for normal auction prices.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
I am going out again today to give it another look and then it is off to the Mercedes dealership for another inspection, and finally a "wreck check."
Old 06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
At 28K mi make sure sale includes:

1. New brake rotors & calibers front and rear
2. New tires with alignment and balance
3. 30K MB service

Good choice to buy MB extended warranty through a MB dealer at time of sale.

Despite what eveyone says, the 65's remains an endangered species. Buy now.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
There are still some paint issues. It's going tomorrow for a detailed check on the paint work performed, and what it needs. If they pay $$$ to fix it to my guy's satisfaction, I'm not going to worry about the other stuff. However, the brake pedal is mush, and it needs to go to MB of FTL for that and other checks.

After checking prices today, I'll feel that price is very good if the paint gets to where it needs to be (and mechanically it checks out).
Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by MiamiDave
There are still some paint issues. It's going tomorrow for a detailed check on the paint work performed, and what it needs. If they pay $$$ to fix it to my guy's satisfaction, I'm not going to worry about the other stuff. However, the brake pedal is mush, and it needs to go to MB of FTL for that and other checks.

After checking prices today, I'll feel that price is very good if the paint gets to where it needs to be (and mechanically it checks out).
Good luck Dave, and congratulations on the purchase.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
Well the purchase will only go through to my satisfaction of the car's paintwork. This will be based on todays assessment and my $1K deposit.

I really don't expect a flawless car, but I just want to make sure it is not a disaster that will look like crap in a year or two in the sun.

I guess we'll see today
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
What is your preferred color combo? I'm thinking black with a red interior.

It sounds like you know what you're doing ... but gon't expect to get 70K back at the end. Once these tanks become unwarrantable they are going to plummet again. Given the low sales and mega power, it's a collectable, but only to the knowing few since it looks like any 215. And like them a PITA to maintain.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Still looking...
BFL Not purchased.

Paint repairs generated other bad areas, and an inspection showed worse. Overspray, poor sealing, rough areas, the works.

They did a .85 cent job on an $85K car. NO SALE.

Buh Bye!