CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Guess who just bought the #1 of 40......CL65 40th Anniversary Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 550
Well, I don't think we are discussing if he can afford this car or not. You see, if this guy has an open fireplace in his house he could either burn wood or money in it. It's NOT a question of affordability. $100-bills burn as well, it's his money and this guy has enough of it. But could his decicision to burn money instead of wood be considered wise? I don't think so.

I can only speak for myself and I'm sure some folks might understand what I'm trying to say. Even if I would have plenty of money, I would still ask myself if I'm spending it wisely or not. So Jay Leno is a car collector? I guess I would do the same if I would have as much money as he has (I love cars, too). Would be interesting to know if he burns his money when he's buying a new collectable or if he's 'only' paying market value for them.

Back to this case: What I don't understand is the fact that he paid this huge premium for that car. This special edition is not that difficult to get. Last week, there were two of them available on autotrader.com - for MUCH less. And sorry, if somebody thinks #1 of 40 has a higer value than #40 of 40...

I also have one car more than I'd probably need - and I also know that they are in a different price-range. I got $3,500 off MSRP on the X5 - could I still afford that car if I would have paid $3,500 above MSRP? Certainly, but I wouldn't be that happy with my purchase. I'm just trying to say that it's not a question of affordability...

Trust me, there are so many rich people in this country who have more money than they could ever spend - but STILL don't waste it (in other words: still use wood instead of $-bills in their fireplace).
No arguments here. I also think that paying a premium was not a wise decision. But the reality of the situation is that this is a matter of perspective and value. If you assume the definition of value is perceived benefit minus actual cost, then one can reasonably understand that perceived benefit will differ dramatically from person a to person b. I, like you, personally believe that he overpayed by a lot. But that's my perspective. If he chooses to believe differently, and thinks that the car was a good buy, then so be it. That's his perogative, and not enough reason for me to lose all respect for him.

If you extend the argument out, you could make the statement that no luxury or exotic car is a sound purchase. After all, why use Brazilian cherry for your hardwoods when oak is readily available and cheaper in your area? If you don't track the car and abide by laws and stick to the speed limit, then a Honda or Toyota would be a much more logical buy. But cars (with the exception of true collectibles) really are not a logical purchase. They may provide personal satisfaction, but they do not represent logical investments. Yes, paying a lower, or should I say more reasonable price, is more logical. But for the basic need of going from point a to point b, an Accord will serve the same purpose as a CL. You just won't looks as good doing it...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 AM

'03 CL600, '03 Caddy Escalade EXT,'72 Chevy Nova (Hot Rod)
Originally Posted by Chucky300
nope - thats not my point.

My point is - the reason behind them buying the cars.

It has NOTHING to do with enthusiasm for the car. It has EVERYTHING to do with showing off.

And that is fine! Status symbols are perfectly fine - but just don't compare Lebron and Diddy to the likes of Leno and Seinfeld - who probably hand wash their own cars and observe every step of a restoration project.
Actually we weren't talking about restoring cars but driving top of the line automobiles off of the showroom floor. Not because you need it. Not because you are an enthusiast and know every specification from engine power to exhaust temperature. Not because you want to show off. But because you just want it and can afford it.

I think that we all like to be seen in nice cars and that is a deciding factor when we make a purchase. Who wants an expensive fast ugly car?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
WOW! haters all over this thread. him buying that car even with the extra charge was like me goin to the store and gettin a coke instaed of the ones marked soda.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 AM

2006 CLK350
honestly, the color is nice, if you think its nice. I like black, he likes this color. I still think its stupid to pay $150K for it. NO paint or MB interior upgrade is worth that. Maybe if it had a massaging recliner, a fridge, a 20" flat screen, and a bathroom.............
Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Red face

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
WOW! haters all over this thread. him buying that car even with the extra charge was like me goin to the store and gettin a coke instaed of the ones marked soda.
No hate here,just a total disdain for MB on my part here.
LeBron has the means to buy anything he wants but I am sure he does not have either time nor desire to waste his time reading car mags or surfing car blogs.
He probably doesn't even know MB ripped him off.(I suspect that car was targeted at non enthusiast people with means).
40th Anniversary IS NOT A COLLECTOR car, never will be one, and is a disgusting stunt by MB ,IMO.
Currently ,only Reventon ,an essentially body kitted LP640 with a $1mil premium is even bigger rip off on the market.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by absent
No hate here,just a total disdain for MB on my part here.
LeBron has the means to buy anything he wants but I am sure he does not have either time nor desire to waste his time reading car mags or surfing car blogs.
He probably doesn't even know MB ripped him off.(I suspect that car was targeted at non enthusiast people with means).
40th Anniversary IS NOT A COLLECTOR car, never will be one, and is a disgusting stunt by MB ,IMO.
Currently ,only Reventon ,an essentially body kitted LP640 with a $1mil premium is even bigger rip off on the market.
no doubt MB ripped him off, but im sayin he dosnt care. the last 2 benzs i bought i know for a 100% fact i could of got cheaper but i was ok with the price i paid and thats all that realy matters!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM

MB / BMW
Who at Ray Catena told you it was sold to Lebron?

Originally Posted by blazinginder
....No it wasn't me

LeBron James aka King James himself bought the #1/40 car from Ray Catena Mercedes Benz in NJ for a cool 350k ...I was there today picking up a new car when it was brought to my attention that there was a 40th aniv. 65 hidden in an enclosed area at the dealership which had been sold to LeBron earlier in the week...
...I got a nice up close look at/around the car. As the guy who's pics I'm "stealing" below (Ghetto2315) mentioned, the indoor pics do it no justice but nonetheless if you have enough money to buy many exotic cars as he does, why not buy a beastly #1 of 40 for a nice premium over a measly "normal" CL65

oh yea, they also have a CLK63 Black Series available if anyone's interested let me know, I'll get you in touch with my guy there
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
As Goliath stated yes i did do some work for LBJ, yes he has a collection of cars and he does know about them, yes he has lots of money. But he has earned that money, and like everyone else that wants to get to the top, he works his **** for it, he goes and gets told what to do by a coach, so he is in respect giving up some of his freedom. Has he ever said screw it i am not showing up to work today? no! C'mon, the guy has a natural talent, and he has busted his but to improve, play by the rules or the law of the land. and for all those rich folks out there with all these millions that they sit on, how many parks, rec centers, numerous kid functions and donations, Katrina donations, have you given? i am sure the guy has given multi millions away to charities and events. And unlike all the posers that needs a media circus surrounding the donations, he does it silently. LBJ has earned a lot of respect from people, myself included. And if you do not know him personally then how the hell can you past judgment on him? Sure the 1st amendment gives you the right, and opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, but when you have the mentality of a grade schooler talking trash about someone or others out there because you despise that they made it to the top... you lose respect from others.

Look LBJ could of got into drugs and alcohol in school and never of materialized, same with gang banging, which he didn't also... so he capitalized on his talents and striven to become the best which he is at the top.

NEXT>>>

A good source of mine states that this vehicle purchase isn't true. So unless you can produce a 8 x 10 glossy of him with it, then it ain't true. BTW I am sure we can check his garage next month for it, because it usually takes about that long for him to pick up anything

And he has a Maybach 62S, and a S63 matching, no "ghettofied bling either"

just painted factories

Here is the link for them

LINK

and

Link 2

and

LINK 3

And there is more on that site also of his.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 PM

2008 C300W4 Sport, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i
yeah show me a title with his name on it and VIN and i will believe it, because first of all LBJ wouldnt fit in the car...that is a fact because i know of a certain NBA player who got rid of his CL550 because he didnt fit in it and he is 5 inches shorter than LBJ.....
Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 PM

MB / BMW
Originally Posted by Soon2bMB
yeah show me a title with his name on it and VIN and i will believe it, because first of all LBJ wouldnt fit in the car...that is a fact because i know of a certain NBA player who got rid of his CL550 because he didnt fit in it and he is 5 inches shorter than LBJ.....

I wouldn't say that... we just had a NBA client in here last month who purchased an 08 S550, and he is 7'0" tall. Granted his seat was all th ay back, but he fit fine. So Mr. James can definitely fit in the current CL. Lebron is 6'8"?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
So who actually did the negotiating of the vehicle...don't say LBJ either or I'll host the BS flag for ya.

but to be honest, it is good that he aligns himself with MB, and MB should be proud to have him as an owner, and the dealership should be happy also that they sold the vehicle. I am happy for everyone, as long as it is true.... And I won't be so pessimistic, but i would like to see some proof... not a hater at all
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by jbondox
So who actually did the negotiating of the vehicle...don't say LBJ either or I'll host the BS flag for ya.

but to be honest, it is good that he aligns himself with MB, and MB should be proud to have him as an owner, and the dealership should be happy also that they sold the vehicle. I am happy for everyone, as long as it is true.... And I won't be so pessimistic, but i would like to see some proof... not a hater at all
nah u cant be called a hater, but good call on the proof, would be nice, but i doubt anyone could come up with that. anyone know the someoen at that dealer ship? i'm sure someone has a friend who knows a guy, right J?

ALi
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
beautiful car, who cares who owns it if it lebron or whoever. id also like to know who at ray catena said that? im friendly with a bunch of the guys over there
Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by jbondox

...Not sure of the exact details of the transaction as but as far as I know, he didn't come in to the showroom and buy it, I'm thinking it had to have been an agent/his agent
Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ghetto2315
Who at Ray Catena told you it was sold to Lebron?
I know this may sound "sketchy" but I'd rather not say as I'm not looking to have any potential problems with the dealership or cause any within the dealership as a result of my saying something I shouldn't.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Hmm, I thought that 1 of 40 was sold to that guy?
Funny, according to this auction, it's still available - check out the price - $50K less than mentioned:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...QQcmdZViewItem

Guess that proves my point - get the car you like but don't pay more than necessary..
Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
Funny, according to this auction, it's still available - check out the price - $50K less than mentioned:

Guess that proves my point - get the car you like but don't pay more than necessary..

BUUUUUURN

ALi
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FloridaE55

That's a really good question, either they forgot to take off the listing or something went wrong with the sale
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
was speaking with an inside source and i heard thats not CAR #1 of 40 but rather 1 OF 40, cute huh
Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ghetto2315
I wouldn't say that... we just had a NBA client in here last month who purchased an 08 S550, and he is 7'0" tall. Granted his seat was all th ay back, but he fit fine. So Mr. James can definitely fit in the current CL. Lebron is 6'8"?

An S class and CL are two totally different vehicles size wise. Have have your NBA player who is 7'0 try to fit in the CL, I know for a FACT he wont even come close to fitting in it. Because the S class the seat moves back a lot farther than in the CL.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Soon2bMB
An S class and CL are two totally different vehicles size wise. Have have your NBA player who is 7'0 try to fit in the CL, I know for a FACT he wont even come close to fitting in it. Because the S class the seat moves back a lot farther than in the CL.
you speaketh as if you tried stuffing a 7'3 player in a G... can opener please
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM

hey he fit...just not comfortably lol....
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I guess it didn't have a pano roof?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM

i wish it was that, but he actually fit in the G-class, just the seat had to be EXTENDED..lots of head room
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM

how bout the premium Lebron can get if he sells this "Celebrity owned car"

Dont forget what Steinfeld gets for his Porsches when he thins out his collection. Just to have these guys as previous owners adds value and if you think I'm lying to you.....google "Steinfeld Porsches"

There will be some Lebron nut that will pay +$25,000 for Lebrons #1 CL65, just as there will be some nut to pay $1000 for a strand of Elvis hair. or $9K for a hanky once wiped across his forehead at a concert.

Hell, I bet Tiger could sell his gently used toilet paper wad for say $10K. You guys also seem to forget that Lebron needs to buy things and show losses anyways, it just offsets his earnings. I am sure his accountant can easily show a loss on this purchase if it is in his estates or corps name.

Bottom line is were all sitting here sweating something that he scoffs at. Do you think Lebron makes more in a game (including pro rated endorment income) than this car costs itself?

Extrapulate that to us, do we make enough in a days work to pay for any car on the market including electric models?

I wouldnt dounbt that he makes $100,000 for every day he is alive, Let alone Tiger, who is the biggest earner....I think Lebron is third, behind A-rod or something

Last edited by Barolo CLS; 11-04-2007 at 01:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guess who just bought the #1 of 40......CL65 40th Anniversary Edition