CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

new pics with shoes, calipers, tint and lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Barolo CLS
I opted for the Giovanna Cuomo 22" because it is the only wheel that I know of that actually is designed for big caliper cars. The spokes are designed to clear AMG, Brembo and Porsche calipers because of the unique way they curve around these large calipers. I actually have a 5" lip in the rear and a 4" lip in the front which is unheard of on a car with huge calipers.

I was originally going with HRE wheels but discovered that I would have lost 2" of lip on both front and rear due to the shape of the spokes and their need to clear both front and rear calipers. These wheels also come from the factory in flat black as opposed to gloss black which works perfectly for my car because of the flat black accenting that will be a part of my overall design. These wheels are also half the money but of course, are not a three piece.

The look is stunning on this car as they are both racy and classy and fit the sporting theme of all MB AMG cars. For a 22" wheel, there is nothing gaudy or street about these wheels. I think the flat black coloring provides an optical illusion making the wheels appear smaller which works perfectly with this body style.

I like the wheels and the set-up. The 22's actually look proportional to the body. It looks very good on the cl and it does not look like a 4 X 4 which is what most m6's look like with 22's. Huge factory fenders are a must for this size wheel imho.

In regards to performance, I had 20 inch Brabus wheels on my e55 all the time and would only change the rear wheels and tires at the track. My Brabus wheel probably weighed more than your current wheel.

In the end it's your car but it is a public forum so you will have to deal with people sipping on the hater- ade.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rflow306
I like the wheels and the set-up. The 22's actually look proportional to the body. It looks very good on the cl and it does not look like a 4 X 4 which is what most m6's look like with 22's. Huge factory fenders are a must for this size wheel imho.

In regards to performance, I had 20 inch Brabus wheels on my e55 all the time and would only change the rear wheels and tires at the track. My Brabus wheel probably weighed more than your current wheel.

In the end it's your car but it is a public forum so you will have to deal with people sipping on the hater- ade.
If I let someone with an opinion ruin my day I'd be in bad shape.

Let me tell you how it usually unwinds....

I get someone ragging on my car, then they stay tuned to see if anyone agrees with their assessment. If no one agrees with their take, they then come back later and say, "Hey, I took a closer look at your car and it's actually not so bad after all...I would have just done this or that differently"

It's just as simple as "when and if you get yours, lets see how you do it..." Modding doesnt define me and its always an evolving process. Styles come... styles go, what looks good today looks dated tommorow and ultimately we go back to stock when the entire car gets dated and needs to be traded in or sold.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The look now is a color-matched lip and the reason I'm changing my wheels is to incorporate a white lip which is deemed cutting edge at this point. In previous years it was about a big rear lip, now it's about zero lip and OEM monoblock fitments. How are you going to please everybody?

Last edited by Barolo CLS; 03-20-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 PM

E55
Nice set up. Looking to get the calipers done and could not decide between red and yellow. Your pics sealed the deal....
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM

2006 CLK350
i do think your car looks ghetto, but thats not a bad thing. i love that you have the money to take a GOOD car and make it look like whatever you want. Its not that you could only afford a 94 accord and bolted on a coffee to use as a muffler. You took a great CL and turned it into the car of your dreams. If you are happy when you look at your car, you've done good.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by iguess
i do think your car looks ghetto, but thats not a bad thing. i love that you have the money to take a GOOD car and make it look like whatever you want. Its not that you could only afford a 94 accord and bolted on a coffee to use as a muffler. You took a great CL and turned it into the car of your dreams. If you are happy when you look at your car, you've done good.
At the risk of getting too political here...what does ghetto mean exactly? Like I live in the hood? Or that a Black person owns the car? Like a man of German descent doesnt?

Define yourself. I never quite clearly understood what people actually mean when they point out that a car looks "ghetto". Spinners, lambo doors and chameleon paint could have provided me a "benefit of the doubt" that I would have given you, but in this case, I cant make that stretch.

A ghetto is defined as...

The term 'Ghetto' was originally used to refer to the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy and then in Jewish ghettos in Europe, where Jews were required to live. The corresponding German term was Judengasse known as the Jewish Quarter. In Moroccan Arabic, ghettos were called mellah. The term came into widespread use for Ghettos in occupied Europe 1939-1944 with severely constrained conditions, where the ***** required Jews to live prior to transporting them to concentration and death camps.

A 20th century American co-opted usage of the term informs us that ghetto is a section of a city occupied by a sub-group who live there, especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure. The term "ghetto" is now commonly used to refer to any poverty-stricken urban area. In the U.S, "Rural ghetto" is used to describe mobile home parks, farm labor housing tracts, and Indian reservations. Urban neighborhoods where Mexican immigrants settled in the late 20th century (called barrios) are said to be comparable to ghettos, because most immigrants are clustered in culturally isolated enclaves.

Ghetto is formed in three ways:

As ports of entry for racial minorities, and immigrant racial minorities.

When the majority uses compulsion (typically violence, hostility, or legal barriers) to force minorities into particular areas.

When the majority is willing and able to pay more than the minority to live with its own kind."

In spite of this long winded definition, I fail to see how any of this related to the appearance of a $150,000 car but I'll appease you for a moment, sir.

When you define my car as "ghetto", it could mean a lot of things but not much of it good. Therefore, if you simply said you didnt like my wheels or something of that nature, we may take you a bit more seriously. In fact we could actually hold an intelligent conversation about them. It's very difficult to do the way you choose to frame it.

To call someones car ghetto is equivalent to calling someone car "delicious" or "saintly", or how about "tepid". Choose your adjectives in a way that more closely pertain to the subject matter my friend..."ugly" would have worked fine for me.

I took the time to break this this down for you because I think out of all this; the point you were trying to make was that you respect the right for someone to mod their car the way they see fit although you would have done something else.

Last edited by Barolo CLS; 03-21-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:29 PM

A Car
looks sick!!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
When you define my car as "ghetto", it could mean a lot of things but not much of it good. Therefore, if you simply said you didnt like my wheels or something of that nature, we may take you a bit more seriously. In fact we could actually hold an intelligent conversation about them. It's very difficult to do the way you choose to frame it.

To call someones car ghetto is equivalent to calling someone car "delicious" or "saintly", or how about "tepid". Choose your adjectives in a way that more closely pertain to the subject matter my friend..."ugly" would have worked fine for me.

I took the time to break this this down for you because I think out of all this; the point you were trying to make was that you respect the right for someone to mod their car the way they see fit although you would have done something else.
The above points make sense but your own history of happily accepting that other people's opinions on your modifications conflict with yours is not good. However, maybe the quoted post shows that this state of affairs is changing.

As for your car, I believe I saw it parked on Sunset a few weeks back (if not, it was very similar). It looked good and far nicer than the modded baby Bentley parked in front of it. I prefer the stock 20s (looks and performance) and gray calipers but that's just because I favor only minor changes (ie. dechroming, side marker delete, light tint) rather than wholesale ones.

By the way, the optical white paint is a great way to showcase modifications and looks great in the sunny L.A. climate.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
The above points make sense but your own history of happily accepting that other people's opinions on your modifications conflict with yours is not good. However, maybe the quoted post shows that this state of affairs is changing.

As for your car, I believe I saw it parked on Sunset a few weeks back (if not, it was very similar). It looked good and far nicer than the modded baby Bentley parked in front of it. I prefer the stock 20s (looks and performance) and gray calipers but that's just because I favor only minor changes (ie. dechroming, side marker delete, light tint) rather than wholesale ones.

By the way, the optical white paint is a great way to showcase modifications and looks great in the sunny L.A. climate.
not my car....I live in NOCA

Carl I welcome criticizm. It's just that a..."that looks wack!" may get a different response from me then lets say a... "I prefer these wheels over yours". A "that looks ghetto" may get even a harsher response.

It's my thought that if we bring our tastes to the forefront, we can compare and mix and match ideas a bit better than if we can do nothing more than shallowly post a "thumb down".

I do appologize if I have even pointed out that I didnt agree with anothers disagreement.

Last edited by Barolo CLS; 03-21-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Turbonetics G35
Your car looks great!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 PM

scared of being stalked
left to do...

Lorinser fenders
Exressions wing
code out chrome trim and badging and grill

Stay tuned!

what are these shoes you speak about?

i just saw this new s550 with some new shoes yo check it check it

Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
lol some people are so stupid , it aint about being young or old it's about having a taste , yes modified cars do look nice , but modified with taste , it's like the taste you have with your clothes , hair cut etc . that benz could have been looked much better if it was just lowered , a carlsson carbon fiber lip , a polished rim with chrome lip , and thats it , but it lookes like a wigger , it looks like a kid with baggy ecko pants and AND1 sneakers those rims look cheaper than stock rims , and those fenders on a 130 thousand dollar car is a joke i have a 30 thousand dollar maxima and i wdn't put nothing like that , it just tinted , lowered , mesh grill , front lipkit , nice and clean you can't buy taste thats all , i'm 21 and i have the nicest style clothes wise and haircut wise and i would never do something like that to a 130 thousand dollar car , i would modify it but not this way so when people are saying that it looks ghetto they dont hate trust me , i see so many kids in brooklyn just destroy they're cl63's and s63's and who lives in brooklyn knows it's a lot of them here in sheapshead area , they tint the tails , tint the whole car , get some whack small chrome rims and it makes the car look cheap
Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/1...ow07185iv0.jpg 1st example i found in my pic of a nice moded benz