CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Latest CL63 030 specs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007 | 12:11 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Latest CL63 030 specs

Just chkd out a colleague's new CL63 030 that he obtained from dealer today (late Nov build)...

Maj blk/blk/cf/all options....IMO maj blk looks great live on a CL63 030....this copy has Yoko Advan tires (like some '08 CL65s)....vaguely recall reading that AMG worked w/Yoko to develop bespoke-spec tires vs AMG CL chassis....will be interesting to hear his feedback re: dynamic diffces in twisties vs Contis.....

Pricing....no change in base...Distronic option is now some $800 cheaper vs earlier in MY08.....but now AMG charges addtl $2500 for cf interior trim (cost $0 on my June build 030)....

My colleague is a rather jaded consumer of new AMGs and Ferraris....this is his second CL63 030 (he trades in cars at <5K mis or 6mths, whichever comes first) and his alternative commuter/wkend car is 599 (until Scud arrives in Spr08)....will be curious if he notices any dynamic diffces w/new Yokos....

We're each getting SL63 030s in Spr08 upon launch.....unless/until SL63 030 proves to be a more interesting overall driver's car and has CL-caliber advcd safety and ergonomics/infotainment/comfort tech, CL63 030 will remain a uniquely compelling choice, vs any other alleged luxury and/or sportscars.....
Old 12-22-2007 | 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Seems like AMG are doing too many changes in such a short time
Old 12-25-2007 | 12:05 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Given the superb quality/reliability of the many new CLs and Ss (at least anecdotally), I'm rather pleased w/AMG's latest tech....

Suspect as cars become more tech (and esp software)-intensive, cars will be continually advanced/debugged....sort of like smartphones or any other tech device....so old timelines of model/tech changes will be less applicable, esp for non-mechanical/non-major styling changes....

Still perplexed why AMG doesn't offer a ?$5K leather upgrade option so CL63 owners can get smooth leather finish of 600...AMG can capture more profit....many jaded buyers have passed on CL65 anyway (awful wheels, tacky quilted leather, plasticky sports steering wheel, heavy nose and poor traction), so AMG isn't really "forcing" any 65 sales by purposely putting a plasticky-leather interior in CL63.....
Old 12-25-2007 | 12:52 PM

I like my leather, i was admiring my seats jsut the other day.....no complaints. Not that I wouldnt like exec better but I dont mind these.
Old 12-25-2007 | 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
how does the trade-in at 5k miles or 6mths work? i assume he deals with someone high up at the dealership. can you explain to me in more detail?

he can only do it a few times then has to hold onto 1 car for a bit longer, isn't that how it works?
Old 12-25-2007 | 04:26 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Barolo CLS
I like my leather, i was admiring my seats jsut the other day.....no complaints. Not that I wouldnt like exec better but I dont mind these.
On CL63, leather on seats is excellent (and preferred to that crappy quilting stuff of 65)....problem is the plasticky grain of the leather along doors/dash/center console/steering wheel rim and airbag cover.....need the fine-grain leather of 600....
Old 12-25-2007 | 05:02 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Fantasm
how does the trade-in at 5k miles or 6mths work? i assume he deals with someone high up at the dealership. can you explain to me in more detail?

he can only do it a few times then has to hold onto 1 car for a bit longer, isn't that how it works?
If one is willing to absorb the deprec costs, can trade-in any car as often as desired....

Part of logic is, esp for tech fanatics, desire to always drive latest-tech, most advanced/most debugged car; tires/wheels/brakes have a decay curve, esp after 5K mis of use on typical urban pavement...which has implics for driving perf/precision/safety (part of why we enjoy new $150K+ cars is maximal perf/precision/safety; doubt a CL63 at 10K mis w/semi-worn tires/brakes/wheels is as capable as same car at <5K mis); want to avoid wasting own time (time is money) w/mtce issues/downtime/loaner cars and dealer svc; from an aesthetic standpoint, any car after 5K mis picks up a few rock chips, etc no matter how well-parked/detailed, etc etc.....

No doubt it's an expensive habit....a more affluent car guy's version of some geeky teenager's habit of getting a new smartphone/iPod every 6-12mos...but prob not all that much more expensive than the endless costs of shoes/purses, etc for some well-dressed, shopaholic chicks...let alone the costs of any divorce, esp when one calcs the "per use" costs of any divorce, but I digress....

These few car guys (there's a handful of these characters in each major mkt like NYC/SF/LA) apparently view this rapid trade-in approach as worth every penny in terms of how they enjoy driving their cars (and spending their time)....after all, no one "needs" $150K+ new cars anyway.....to each his own....
Old 12-26-2007 | 09:13 AM

2014 S63 AMG 4Matic
Premium leather on CL63

Originally Posted by WSH
On CL63, leather on seats is excellent (and preferred to that crappy quilting stuff of 65)....problem is the plasticky grain of the leather along doors/dash/center console/steering wheel rim and airbag cover.....need the fine-grain leather of 600....

In Europe it is perfectly possible to obtain premium quality leather similar to CL600.
Simply opt for "exclusive leather" which means that also the top of the dashboard is covered with fine grain leather. Interior can be further improved by choosing "designo exclusive".

I first saw this on this forum in a thread started by JohnSamonas (https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-c215-c216/194879-new-cl63-delivered.html). Based on his interior (designo exclusive "marron brown") I decided to order my CL63 with designo exclusive "sand".
Car arrived last week and the interior is absolutely stunning!

One of the few parts which is not covered with fine grain leather is the AMG steering wheel. Besides this "small issue" no complaints whatsoever about the quality of the interior.

There is one minor difference though with the interior shown in the above thread. My car doesn't have the quilted leather in the door panels, but this will be resolved in the coming weeks.
Apparently the door panels with quilted leather come "standard" on a CL500 with designo exclusive, but NOT on a CL63 AMG because the stitching in the seats follows a different pattern. The door panels with quilted leather are available on the CL 63 AMG as well, but only upon specific request (as I was told by my dealer...)
Old 12-27-2007 | 04:58 PM

CLS 55

I usually don't keep cars more than about 6 months either, but I buy them used. This guy is getting *** raped! I also think it's ridiculous to think that a 5k mile car performs better or is safer than a 10k mile car!
Old 12-31-2007 | 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by Big Carrot
I usually don't keep cars more than about 6 months either, but I buy them used. This guy is getting *** raped! I also think it's ridiculous to think that a 5k mile car performs better or is safer than a 10k mile car!

Well, put..
Old 01-01-2008 | 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600

It costs about $6000+ a month to trade this often. No way of getting around it. I personally find this as a ludicrous mode of owning a car. If you make $1 million+ a year, this means nothing to them. I just wish I knew how to make that much money.

Last edited by trumpet1; 01-01-2008 at 12:56 PM.