CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

how to lower a cl 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl 63
how to lower a cl 63

hi guys,

I got a CL 63 08' and wondering how hard is it to lower the car? Is it just like a S class? or it's different?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Try release the air on the tires.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM

I can't afford
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
Try release the air on the tires.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The dealer can lower the 215 through the Star diagnostic system. Takes 5 minutes or less.

Ask them if they can do the same on the 216.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM

cl 63
will dealer do it?

Will MB dealer do that? I ask one of them they say no cuz they don't want to be responsible for it if anything happens
Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by erwin912
Will MB dealer do that? I ask one of them they say no cuz they don't want to be responsible for it if anything happens
Tell them not to be lame, if it's available in the Star Diag system, it's within spec. Otherwise, why would MB put it in there?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 PM

2006 S55 & 97 T88h Supra
im a big fan of lowering abc/airmatic cars with the Renntech ELM. its been tried and proven to be a reliable and effective way to lower your car while still allowing you to make adjustments at will. It may cost more than lowering via STAR but if you already have a AMG CL, I'm sure youre not trying to save a few pennies.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Lowering Airmatic

I had my 2004 W215 lowered by a M-B dealer, and noticed that the ride quality had suffered. It was not nearly as compliant when encountering rough roads, transmitting more of the bumps. I was ready to accept the harsher ride, but then I had a friend who was also a Mercedes-Benz dealership owner emphatically tell me that lowering this car was a mistake. This is a man who enjoyed racing and fast cars. He owned a SL65, McLaren SLR, and then later added a CL63 to his garage at home. So, I was concerned when he said I had made a mistake.

Then, when I was at AMG in Affalterbach, Germany I asked them about lowering the vehicle to ROW (Rest of the World) specifications. They strongly told me that this was not a good idea due to all of the other sensors in the vehicle that are linked to the ride height.

I decided after having those two admonishments from respected sources, that I would forgo the look of the slightly lowered car, and enjoy it as it was engineered to perform properly.

After raising it back up, the ride quality returned.

JDB
Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Originally Posted by JDB
I had my 2004 W215 lowered by a M-B dealer, and noticed that the ride quality had suffered. It was not nearly as compliant when encountering rough roads, transmitting more of the bumps. I was ready to accept the harsher ride, but then I had a friend who was also a Mercedes-Benz dealership owner emphatically tell me that lowering this car was a mistake. This is a man who enjoyed racing and fast cars. He owned a SL65, McLaren SLR, and then later added a CL63 to his garage at home. So, I was concerned when he said I had made a mistake.

Then, when I was at AMG in Affalterbach, Germany I asked them about lowering the vehicle to ROW (Rest of the World) specifications. They strongly told me that this was not a good idea due to all of the other sensors in the vehicle that are linked to the ride height.

I decided after having those two admonishments from respected sources, that I would forgo the look of the slightly lowered car, and enjoy it as it was engineered to perform properly.

After raising it back up, the ride quality returned.

JDB
Well said...

Indeed, lower/harsher/louder/bigger wheels, etc don't necessarily translate to faster/more precise/more stable/safer/more confidence-inspiring, esp on real-world, imperfect roads, as opposed to smooth, dry tracks....

And in era of ever-more complex/faster/smarter hardware/software networks linking chassis to drivetrain, etc, doubtful that any aftermkt changes are additive....suspect most tend to depreciate perf/safety/daily-useability....AMG engineers have benefit of far more comprehensive testing data to better judge desired trade-offs vs likely uses on public roads....

Always amused by optics of rapper/ricer-wannabe changes to cars....the "trying too hard" look at its best.....helps one realize that one has entered a particularly "aspirational" part of an urban region.....who says Darwinian selection doesn't prevail????