CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Need advice on repainting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008 | 12:53 PM

2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Need advice on repainting?

Hi,
I'm thinking of having a bodyshop repaint my hood and front bumper because of numerous small rock chips. It doesn't look real bad but up close there are more chips then I prefer. I plan on putting a clear bra on the front but I don't want to do it over rock chips. Many people feel if the car was painted then it must have been in an accident so the car depreciates even more. I plan to keep the car for a while and I'm sure it will look nicer with a repaint. what do you guys suggest? Should I leave it alone or just do it and make the car look perfect? How bad do you think it will affect resale in the future?

Larry
Old 06-04-2008 | 01:41 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Car salesmen have the ability to detect a repaint as you're driving into the lot. Something to do with Darwin and selective breeding. Carfax reports mean nothing and don't list all accidents. They will give you a lot of grief. The longer you keep the car the less of an issue this will be.
Old 06-04-2008 | 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by france2112
Hi,
I'm thinking of having a bodyshop repaint my hood and front bumper because of numerous small rock chips. It doesn't look real bad but up close there are more chips then I prefer. I plan on putting a clear bra on the front but I don't want to do it over rock chips. Many people feel if the car was painted then it must have been in an accident so the car depreciates even more. I plan to keep the car for a while and I'm sure it will look nicer with a repaint. what do you guys suggest? Should I leave it alone or just do it and make the car look perfect? How bad do you think it will affect resale in the future?

Larry
Larry,

I'd just leave it alone. I never get bothered by the odd rock chip and the color of your car will hide them to all but the keenest of eyes. Full clear bras make sense but they're not something I've ever bothered with.
Old 06-05-2008 | 10:13 AM

CL600, G500, E-type, Alfa SS
Clear bras are like vinyl slipcovers on a couch. They never look quite right (edges, color shift, reflectivity), and who are you saving the car for ?

Try this instead: http://drcolorchip.com/touchup-paint.html