CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Performance Package available on current CL65?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Performance Package available on current CL65?!

Just checked the mbusa.com - link to the official CL65 AMG-site and according to that, the CL65 is available with the Performance Package.

New feature or just an additional (typical) MB communication-error....
Old 10-11-2008, 01:34 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
'09 CL65 comes std w/030....wheels, cf interior trim, delimited...

'09 S65 also has 030 std...
Old 10-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by WSH
'09 CL65 comes std w/030....wheels, cf interior trim, delimited...

'09 S65 also has 030 std...
Great news....

So I guess there aren't any extras left on theses two cars, right? Everything standard...
Old 10-12-2008, 04:08 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Only options are iPod adapter and Bluetooth (new, smaller BT cartridge than MY08)...

Those who don't prefer std carbon fiber interior can spec blk wood, etc

BTW, leather of sport steering wheel rim of MY09 is notably smoother (yet remains perfectly grippy) vs that of MY08...rather apparent and an important tactile refinement IMO

My initial sense is that AMG also has titrated throttle response of MY09 65s for greater traction, esp in launches from <5MPH...doesn't rain in CA until winter, so won't have wet weather traction impressions for a few wks
Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by WSH
Only options are iPod adapter and Bluetooth (new, smaller BT cartridge than MY08)...

Those who don't prefer std carbon fiber interior can spec blk wood, etc

BTW, leather of sport steering wheel rim of MY09 is notably smoother (yet remains perfectly grippy) vs that of MY08...rather apparent and an important tactile refinement IMO

My initial sense is that AMG also has titrated throttle response of MY09 65s for greater traction, esp in launches from <5MPH...doesn't rain in CA until winter, so won't have wet weather traction impressions for a few wks
Thanks for clarification, WSH! So far, I was only able to see pictures of one 09 CL65 on autotrader and that had the reddish wood on.

One thing I'm curious: What steering-wheel do you get when you opt for the carbon? Will it be a heated one (combination of leather/carbon with carbon replacing the wood of a standard 65) or will it be leather only (like on the CL63)? And what about the airbag-cover? Still plastic in case you can get a leather-only steering-wheel?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Have '09 CL65 w/cf trim; steering wheel is all-leather sport steering wheel; airbag cover is perhaps slightly better-grade plastic than MY08, but still underwhelming (would have expected them to incorporate airbag cover stitchwork of CL65 40th Anniv)....

Can't really complain about sport steering wheel rim of '09 CL65 (don't know of a better overall steering wheel from 599/997GT2 in terms of tactile enjoyment), but agree that plastic airbag cover is laughable on a $200K commuter car, as well as on $200K alleged commuter/sports cars like GT2 or ~$400K alleged commuter/GT cars like 599 (not even sure 599 has those girlie functional airbags that AMG and P bother engineering)...

Don't believe that have heating element w/a sport steering wheel...will chk and let you know if I find otherwise

Believe that Dr. No on this forum has an '09 CL65 w/poplar wood steering wheel and interior trim....believe he posted pics on forum...and IIRC wood MB steering wheels have heating element...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by WSH
Have '09 CL65 w/cf trim; steering wheel is all-leather sport steering wheel; airbag cover is perhaps slightly better-grade plastic than MY08, but still underwhelming (would have expected them to incorporate airbag cover stitchwork of CL65 40th Anniv)....

Can't really complain about sport steering wheel rim of '09 CL65 (don't know of a better overall steering wheel from 599/997GT2 in terms of tactile enjoyment), but agree that plastic airbag cover is laughable on a $200K commuter car, as well as on $200K alleged commuter/sports cars like GT2 or ~$400K alleged commuter/GT cars like 599 (not even sure 599 has those girlie functional airbags that AMG and P bother engineering)...

Don't believe that have heating element w/a sport steering wheel...will chk and let you know if I find otherwise

Believe that Dr. No on this forum has an '09 CL65 w/poplar wood steering wheel and interior trim....believe he posted pics on forum...and IIRC wood MB steering wheels have heating element...
Thanks, WSH..

If I recall correctly from previous German order-guides, a wood/leather steering wheel is required to have the heating feature but that might have changed..

I prefer the look AND feel of the all leather wheel - and I'm not sure if I would ever really need the heating-feature here in the first place..

After all, I have to say that MB did a great job when I'm comparing the MY09 CL65 to the previous MY. It finally comes with the correct wheels AND the right choice of trim (CF). In addition, it always surprised me why you could get a 186-mph 63 but only a 155-mph 65. They corrected that as well. Good job, MB!

Let's see if I'm able to pull the trigger on a new 09 CL65 within the next few months or a CPOed one a bit later..
Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Indeed, many kudos to AMG for the refinements in MY09 65s....they clearly read and consider the observations both on mbworld and on AMG PrivateLounge....only mfr that rivals AMG in listening to repeat customers is Ferrari...

Agree, even in SF, which in winter might have lows of ?50F, heated seats are useful, but have never felt need for heated steering wheel (about as useless as NightView in most well-lit urban/suburban settings)....

Would encourage you to consider an '09 S/CL65....my '09 CL65 is best overall car I've ever driven, whether in straight-line or in mtn twisties (and I've extensively driven 599 and 997TT in similar settings)....and, in today's economy, new 599s have similar depreciation (greater on an absolute dollar basis) as new 65s, but far inferior safety/daily-useability....IMO, new S/CL65s are a damn good value for great daily (and wkend) driving entertainment and functionality....
Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Absolutely!

Oh, last question: Does the leather sport steering-wheel come with shifting-paddles? I think the wood/leather doesn't..