CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Pics of CL55 resonator removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 w215,03 z350,08 kawi z1000 , 07 benelli tnt, 07 silverado crewcab z71
quick question,do you know what size pipe they used?is it 2.5 or 3 inches?i m gonna do it tomorrow and not sure what size pipes i need to get from my parts store?!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I would be carefull on how they do this work .. The res. delete pictures shows the new pipes to be a smaller size pipe. They slipped these pipes inside your AMG pipes and created more restriction on your exhaust gases. They may sound louder/better to some but could be costing you power. More back pressure , also equals more heat.

Just make sure the shop uses a 2.75" or even 3" pipe and have them fit each end of the new pipe over the stock AMG pipes.

Enjoy!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
hahah t3flondon you didn't see anything wrong with the pipe when you taking the pics.
obviously the pipe is alot smaller than the stock piping..

correct size is 3"...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM

CL55 AMG
Oh how tempted I am to have this done. I have a nice purrr on my H2, and would like the same thing from an AMG product. Some friends and I were going somewhere and they left a little before me, so as I was playing catch up I apaprently blew right past their truck at about 130 when they were doing 80, they both said the sound of the car while at that speed was the sweetest sound they've ever heard from a car. just a loud VRooooommmshhhh!!!!

my question is, will I loose any of the refinement from removing the resonators? I ultimately want a deep rumble and sound, but I don't want to sound like a 20 year old kid in his old camaro.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG 2019 C300 Coupe 2017 AMG GTS 2020 A 220
Here are the links to the sound of my car, I did not care if the pipe was a little smaller because I figured the since I removed the resonators I wanted to retain some back pressure, so the smaller pike does that, but also either way 1/4 inch will not make a difference in speed or performance at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_7En-UWeqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSS4-emJiQ
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Originally Posted by t3flondon
Here are the links to the sound of my car, I did not care if the pipe was a little smaller because I figured the since I removed the resonators I wanted to retain some back pressure, so the smaller pike does that, but also either way 1/4 inch will not make a difference in speed or performance at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_7En-UWeqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSS4-emJiQ

so what's the point of removing it?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG 2019 C300 Coupe 2017 AMG GTS 2020 A 220
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
so what's the point of removing it?
All about the sound, I have made tons of other mods for performance and just wanted a deeper sound I own a Lambo as well and going from a super loud car to the 55 was too much hehe.

"We are the music makers, and we are the makers of the Dreams!"
Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CL 55 AMG Kompressor
Question for those with knowledge of exhaust systems.

In the second pic that shows the resonators in place there is a bracket that will keep the exhaust pipes in place should they happen to fall. On the right hand side above the bracket the exhaust pipe looks like its been crimped/squashed with a pair of pliers whereas the left hand side exhaust pipe appears to keep its diameter.

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the right hand side that looks like its been crimped/squashed would benefit if it was replaced with a piece of pipe maintaining the pipe diameter. The only reason I can think of of why the pipe would be crimped would be because there is not enough room for both pipes to maintain their diameter over the bracket so one pipe had to be reduced in diameter for clearance over the bracket as the pipe maintains its diameter up to the bracket and after the bracket.

If this section of pipe can be replaced so as the pipe maintains its diameter is it worthwhile doing this?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Verooom
Would removing the resonator void the factory or extended warranty?
no. most likely not.

however, if you ever fail smog test and they look under the car you might get flagged as "aftermarket exhaust" and they will not pass you until you return back to stock- regardless of fact that resonators have nothing to do with emissions.

also, regarding gains- i think there might be a tiny hp gain as resonators swirl exhaust gases and thus reduce speed... however, i have no data to back that up.

alex
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Sure I can hear a difference and it's better, but without resonators do you get more resonances inside the car.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 AM

W215 CL65 & w221 S63
will it work on CL65 too ?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Do you think your low end torque is diminished by removing the resonators?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by FLSL55
Do you think your low end torque is diminished by removing the resonators?
Not at all and especially not on a supercharged engine..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 AM

2006 Audi S4 25th anniversary / 2003 cl 55
Thanks for the info guys. I am debating doing this myself. Three questions

1) Any more videos of maybe driving on a road (not tunnel etc)
2) Will this cause the ECU to throw
3) Any modded cl55's near queens/long island that would be interested in letting me hear it? Thanks and hope to hear more clips!

If anyone is planning on doing this try to get a control set where the car is stock and then a before and after
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by AMG055
Question for those with knowledge of exhaust systems.

In the second pic that shows the resonators in place there is a bracket that will keep the exhaust pipes in place should they happen to fall. On the right hand side above the bracket the exhaust pipe looks like its been crimped/squashed with a pair of pliers whereas the left hand side exhaust pipe appears to keep its diameter.

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the right hand side that looks like its been crimped/squashed would benefit if it was replaced with a piece of pipe maintaining the pipe diameter. The only reason I can think of of why the pipe would be crimped would be because there is not enough room for both pipes to maintain their diameter over the bracket so one pipe had to be reduced in diameter for clearance over the bracket as the pipe maintains its diameter up to the bracket and after the bracket.

If this section of pipe can be replaced so as the pipe maintains its diameter is it worthwhile doing this?
Good observation. Here are some answers:

The large tubing diameter of the AMG (2.75"?) will not fit under the driveshaft AND remain above the floor pan. The solution AMG uses is to flatten the pipe at this point.

Resonators (although I have not seen these specifically) are typically straight through designs with perforated internal flow tube allowing certain sound frequencies to dissapate into the packing material inside the housing surrounding the flow tube. This reduces noise levels and often are used to reduce "droning" which are irritating resonances at certain RPM points (often right at cruising RPMs).

Stock tube material is low grade stainless steel. Most "muffler shops" use galvanized or aluminized mild steel pipe. They use a bending machine that crushes the pipe. As pointed out by Exotic-metal55 the work shown uses smaller tube than stock AND it is stuck INTO the pipe. This is a big performance no-no as it has the result of dramatically reducing flow potential. While no doubt sounding louder and possibly sounding good it is the wrong way to make this mod.

Also, you do NOT want backpressure. This is a myth.

I would suggest that the proper way to make this mod would be much more expensive than $200 as stainless steel U-bends in the stock diameter should be used to build replacements for the resonators.

A cheap alternative would be to used stock diameter straight pipe crush bent as shown with the stock tube from the engine stuck INSIDE the replacement tube. The outlet to the stock tube to the rear mufflers should be aligned OR stuck inside the downstream tube. The goal is NO sharp edge intrusion into the flow path of the exhaust gas flow. Keep in mind that each crush bend effectively reduces the tube diameter AND creates tubulence in the exhaust gas flow.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
I would tend to agree with JBrady. A little more work and thought needs to be put in to this. Not 500 bucks worth, but a little more
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Wow guys, its just a resonator. Not a big deal really. Get rid of that thing.

Does it create back pressure?..... barely.... maybe 1/2 lb.

Is it that much louder? Barely noticeable.

Will it drone? No.

Will it void a warranty? Yes, if you want them to fix your resonators that are not there or put new ones on.... otherwise no.

Stock piping is 2.75". Do not go with anything less than 2.75". Preferably go with 3" and fit it around as exotic-metal said.

Why is the stock pipe squashed? Because there is not enough room there with that bracket, but if you look at it more closely, it is much wider than the left side. I'm assuming they do this to keep the overall volume/area equivalent to the left side. Will you see a performance gain if you replace the squashed part or the resonator? Nothing you would ever, ever notice.

Further, mandrel bent (keeping the diameter of the pipes equal through all bends) is best, but comes at a much much higher price and is quite a bit more involved..... so it is kind of a cost/benefit thing.

Otherwise, some people/places are better at bending pipes than others, so in that respect you get what you paid for. Going smaller diameter is not a good thing..... not horrible, but not good. You will be losing hp.... may gain some torque actually (by increasing the back pressure) but it will not offset the hp loss..... we have plenty of torque.

But while you guys are at it, get rid of those rear cats too! As a matter of fact, gut the whole muffler system rear of the primary cats and do a 3" all the way back to your mufflers...... just my .02
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM

2006 S500 4matic, 2004 CL55 AMG, 1986 560SEC
So let me see if I've got this straight-
You own a 'Lambo' and a CL55 yet you go to a Midas to replace your resonators because it was only $100? Seriously?

Personally, I would have spent a few more bucks and got mandrel bent stainless pipe that was the same diameter as the original to at least try to keep the flow as good as the OE (not to mention having it look like some thought went into it).
If it's sound you're after at a cheap price, why not drop the whole exhaust, sell it on ebay to someone that can appreciate it, slap on a couple of Cherry Bombs at the manifolds and run a pipe out the sides in front of the rear wheels?

To each his own I guess... It just hurts to see all that engineering go to waste.

Last edited by ezobens; 03-12-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 AM

CL65 AMG , white S550 Sport w/ white Giovanna 22s, wild custom chopper
What year is the CL600? If it's '03 and above bi-turbo, you probably won't hear a difference because of the turbos

Originally Posted by markopolo
I'm really tempted to do it on my CL600.
I wonder how it's gonna sound after removal?
I'm thinking, if I don't like it, I can always put it back...
Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 AM

CLK350
Would it be worth removing the resonators on only a V6?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 AM

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by jicl55
Wow guys, its just a resonator. Not a big deal really. Get rid of that thing.

Does it create back pressure?..... barely.... maybe 1/2 lb.

Is it that much louder? Barely noticeable.

Will it drone? No.

Will it void a warranty? Yes, if you want them to fix your resonators that are not there or put new ones on.... otherwise no.

Stock piping is 2.75". Do not go with anything less than 2.75". Preferably go with 3" and fit it around as exotic-metal said.

Why is the stock pipe squashed? Because there is not enough room there with that bracket, but if you look at it more closely, it is much wider than the left side. I'm assuming they do this to keep the overall volume/area equivalent to the left side. Will you see a performance gain if you replace the squashed part or the resonator? Nothing you would ever, ever notice.

Further, mandrel bent (keeping the diameter of the pipes equal through all bends) is best, but comes at a much much higher price and is quite a bit more involved..... so it is kind of a cost/benefit thing.

Otherwise, some people/places are better at bending pipes than others, so in that respect you get what you paid for. Going smaller diameter is not a good thing..... not horrible, but not good. You will be losing hp.... may gain some torque actually (by increasing the back pressure) but it will not offset the hp loss..... we have plenty of torque.

But while you guys are at it, get rid of those rear cats too! As a matter of fact, gut the whole muffler system rear of the primary cats and do a 3" all the way back to your mufflers...... just my .02

jicl55,

It looks like you have removed the rear cats and resonators. It also looks like you have used a x pipe ? Does this help the sound ? Do you really need it ? If so, where did you get it ? Just wondering about taking my CL to the muffler shop and running new 3" pipe from the primary cats to the exhaust tips ?
I am just getting ready to do a ECU tune and pulley and wondering about getting my exhaust changed up before tuning. I want to hear her rumble but don't want to get drowned out going down the road.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 AM

2003 cl55 amg
what about added speed?

I own a 2003 cl55 amg, would I gain some HP? if so how many? Will it sound faster or goooo.... faster, Right now with the slip off, my car burns-out for 4-6 sec then it takes off, I see some videos were the car just keep burnning rubber??