CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Second catalyst removed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E 63
Second catalyst removed

Hi everyone, I took my second cat out, but does that make you loose power or does the power remain the same? Would really like to know because I have been getting all sorts of comments. thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
Originally Posted by benzino118
Hi everyone, I took my second cat out, but does that make you loose power or does the power remain the same? Would really like to know because I have been getting all sorts of comments. thanks
Being a restriction point, one would suspect that is would raise hp and torque. I had mine off but put them back on for emissions reasons. Don't think anyone has actually dynoed a before and after vs. secondary cats and not, but it should be more free flowing..... now how much are you actually gaining? Probably no more than 5 hp which is pretty much unnoticeable, but again, this is just pure speculation. Without the 2ndary cats, it should be more free flowing, but you do want some backpressure also. The exhaust guy said that the rear cats add about 1.5 lbs backpressure. When I took my 2ndary cats out, I did notice a loss in torque from a pure daily driving perspective, but don't have numbers to actually back this up..... That being said, now, knowing what I know, I would have just left them alone....... but 3" exhaust is definitely advisable..... just my 2 cents based on countless messings with my car.