CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

what wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL 55 AMG
Question what wax?

I am a new owner of a 2005 cl55, It looks great. I was wondering what I should do for wax. Should I take the old wax off and start again or just put wax on over the old wax.The car does look great. Don't know what kind of wax was used before. Thanks any help would be aprecated!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

SL600
Wash with dishwashing soap (dawn) to strip the car of the old wax and reapply wax of choice, I like System One for a quick job. Plastic trim and all!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
wash the car first..

clay the car..(remove dirty, ox, and wax..)

now wax it
Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
wash the car first..

now wax it
Clay only if necessary. Otherwise your just giving yourself a good exercise. Claying will not remove wax or oxidation marks, I don't care what anyone says-- claying will remove contaminants stuck to the paint, but that's about it. Usually on the front end of the vehicle.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM

2005 CL 55 AMG
thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Pinto
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Clay only if necessary. Otherwise your just giving yourself a good exercise. Claying will not remove wax or oxidation marks, I don't care what anyone says-- claying will remove contaminants stuck to the paint, but that's about it. Usually on the front end of the vehicle.
Claying is a PRep to make sure the surface is smooth and clean before wax or wax cleaner..

what is "oxidation marks"... can you elaborate....

unless you use superhard/expensive wax (SWiSSwax..or those 5,000 dollars wax) .. most commercial wax only last few normal car wash..

and claying do remove contamination on top layer of the paint.. and wax is top layer of the paint...

YOu statement is wrong..
DU ma

Last edited by Viet_Amg408; 09-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Do youreself a big favor.....find a high end detailer and have him do a full job on your car, then seal it with a tip notch pain sealant. Now that your paint is totally clean, you can concentrate on frequent basic washes, and periodic re-application of the paint sealant.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Pinto
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
Do youreself a big favor.....find a high end detailer and have him do a full job on your car, then seal it with a tip notch pain sealant. Now that your paint is totally clean, you can concentrate on frequent basic washes, and periodic re-application of the paint sealant.

i agree...

if you ask about waxing and how to wax.. you should just go pay someone who have the proper knowledge/tools to do it for you..

cheers.........
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

SL600
Claying is a PRep to make sure the surface is smooth and clean before wax or wax cleaner..

what is "oxidation marks"... can you elaborate....

unless you use superhard/expensive wax (SWiSSwax..or those 5,000 dollars wax) .. most commercial wax only last few normal car wash..

and claying do remove contamination on top layer of the paint.. and wax is top layer of the paint...

YOu statement is wrong..
DU ma
Claying, is not a "prep". You don't always have to clay before you wax thus it is not a preparatory step. If you are doing a full paint correction or whatnot, then yes, claying should be incorporated for optimal results however, this was not what the OP was inquiring about.

You're asking what oxidation is when you said one of the benefits of claying is it removes "ox":

wash the car first..
now wax it
Unless, your "ox" stands for something different, in which case, elaborate.

Your third point is irrelevant to anything being discussed here.

And were in agreement alas, claying removes contaminants from the paint.

And since you insist on being ever so absolute, yes while it may remove some wax, it (claying) is not the method used by professionals to completely strip the car of it's protection.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM

Pinto
Claying, is not a "prep". You don't always have to clay before you wax thus it is not a preparatory step. If you are doing a full paint correction or whatnot, then yes, claying should be incorporated for optimal results however, this was not what the OP was inquiring about.

You're asking what oxidation is when you said one of the benefits of claying is it removes "ox":

Unless, your "ox" stands for something different, in which case, elaborate.

Your third point is irrelevant to anything being discussed here.

And were in agreement alas, claying removes contaminants from the paint.

And since you insist on being ever so absolute, yes while it may remove some wax, it (claying) is not the method used by professionals to completely strip the car of it's protection.

aight, you explain it more correctly than me

i clay my car every couple months..waxing i do every two weeks..

from my perspective, it seem normal to clay before wax, but not neccessary though..
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 AM

2005 CL 55 AMG
Just a little history here I have been washing and waxing my cars for 30years and some cars were show cars. I find waxing my car very enjoyable. I was just curiuos what wax you guys recommend. Well I washed the car with dawn but didn't clay it .Whoever had the car before did a outstanding job with the paint. I used Pinnacle Souverän™ Carnauba Paste and it came out great.I will post some pic's when I get a chance.Thanks for the reply's you learn somthing every day.I would clay my old car alot but always thought it was not really needed just did it for somthing to take up time( sad I know ). Well I will Wax on Wax off
Old 09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by CL55AMGRON
Just a little history here I have been washing and waxing my cars for 30years and some cars were show cars. I find waxing my car very enjoyable. I was just curiuos what wax you guys recommend. Well I washed the car with dawn but didn't clay it .Whoever had the car before did a outstanding job with the paint. I used Pinnacle Souverän™ Carnauba Paste and it came out great.I will post some pic's when I get a chance.Thanks for the reply's you learn somthing every day.I would clay my old car alot but always thought it was not really needed just did it for somthing to take up time( sad I know ). Well I will Wax on Wax off
Generally, claying is one of those things you do every once in awhile. It really depends on where you live and how much driving you do. Cleaning your car is not sad in any way!

As for wax, there's a lot of waxes out there that claim the world but give you very little in protection and durability, however that said I was at my local detail supply shop about two months back and at the recommendation of the owner (who himself is a professional detailer), purchased a wax called Tech Shield, a product of Alan Industries, developed for the marine/aircraft world (so is claimed). At first I was skeptical since I've never heard of it, but after trying it later that same day I was amazed. Keep it mind, I've used lots of different waxes and have heard all the "best protection and highest gloss money can buy" claims before and I've never really had a product that actually works as advertised.

I always wax my car, after every car wash-- which is about once a week-- and I use a PC to ensure even coverage, let sit for half hour, and simply wipe off. No residue, no smudges, clean as a whistle. A small bottle ran me 45 bucks, so not too bad. They had bigger bottles there in the 100s that I didn't care for at the time.

It truly is a wax that delivers and I have since to use any other wax/sealant. I just tried looking up a link for you on the net, but came up empty. Try finding a detail shop in your area that sells professional grade products, it's your best bet.

Happy detailing!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 AM

2005 CL 55 AMG
Smile thanks

Thanks will do.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM

CL 65/LX470

As for wax, there's a lot of waxes out there that claim the world but give you very little in protection and durability, however that said I was at my local detail supply shop about two months back and at the recommendation of the owner (who himself is a professional detailer), purchased a wax called Tech Shield, a product of Alan Industries, developed for the marine/aircraft world (so is claimed). At first I was skeptical since I've never heard of it, but after trying it later that same day I was amazed. Keep it mind, I've used lots of different waxes and have heard all the "best protection and highest gloss money can buy" claims before and I've never really had a product that actually works as advertised.

It truly is a wax that delivers and I have since to use any other wax/sealant. I just tried looking up a link for you on the net, but came up empty. Try finding a detail shop in your area that sells professional grade products, it's your best bet.

Happy detailing!
I've tried a google search and can't find the wax for sale. Is there a web site listed for the manufacturer on the bottle or a source online?