CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

10.62 @ 133.70 - New CL65 record!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT-R
i was at the track last night and the car is an absolute monster. Great job to Steve and Renntech. All the modifications were professionally done and look OEM.

Very impressive numbers for using the stock intercoolers too.

Not to hijack this thread, but I believe Renntech also broke the trap speed record for the C63 last night as well.

Go RennTech
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
wow

Awesome run!

Go Renntech!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
ummm very, very nice. great launch. did not expect you to pull off the line like that on that cobra. very impressive.

just out of curiousity...those looked like street tires in the back... or were my eyes deceiving me? they had to be DRs...right?!?
Thanks.

Mickey Thompson Drag Radials.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:44 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Congrats!

Is there really anything else to say?

Tom
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
The scary part is I think you can run even better times with a harder launch! I'm very impressed by this car.
Originally Posted by NXtremeJeep
i was at the track last night and the car is an absolute monster. Great job to Steve and Renntech. All the modifications were professionally done and look OEM.

Very impressive numbers for using the stock intercoolers too.

Not to hijack this thread, but I believe Renntech also broke the trap speed record for the C63 last night as well.

Go RennTech
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Awesome run!

Go Renntech!

Thanks guys. The C63 did go over 125 mph last night.

Will try to get time slip and post.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Big Congrats Steve! Your car is a monster. Looks like the exhaust and the LSD definitely make a nice combo for these numbers. Aside from the ram air and the exhaust any other type of work done to the car?

Nothing like a 4600lb whale trapping 133
Thanks Jody.

The guys from Renntech spent some serious time massaging the tune on my car. I believe that made the biggest difference. I think my car feels more comfortable on the dyno than it does on the street, since it has spent so much time on it.

I have had Renntech's latest generation lowering module on my car since day one and it has been helpful in the mile events as well as the quarter mile to adjust the ride height and weight distribution by raising and lowering the car. The best part is that it is easy to use.

I also put the OS Giken limited slip in a while back because it was aggravating to have one wheel spin periodically when warming up the tires and during the launch. After installing the OS Giken, the 60' times have been better and much more consistent. No more one wheel wonder launches.

As I said above, the largest gains have come from Renntech's ECU tuning and resolving the TCU issue which is common with 600s/65s at this power level. As you and Marko know, the ECU/TCU will pull power/close the throttle when certain torque limits are reached.

The Ram Air system on my car is a prototype and has made nice gains, but not as much as tuning. Same with the exhaust. The high flow exhaust with 200 cell cats made modest gains; however, I believe the combination of a balanced package with Renntech's knowledge about tuning is what made it come together.

The car still has stock turbos, stock intercoolers, stock torque converter, stock injectors, etc.

The 10.62 e.t. is satisfying; however, I was blown away by trapping nearly 134. I believe with a harder launch (like your 1.57 vs. my 1.68) A high 10.40 is plausible.

Last edited by SGC; 02-11-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
X

Congrads SGC & offcourse I tip my hat to Renntech.

I approached Hartmut a couple of times about a one-off but suffice it to say, I was turned down...politely.

Having Hartmut as a good friend does have its benefits I see...hmmm...."Friends with benefits"

Last edited by soulsearcher; 02-11-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: x
Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Big Congrats Steve! Your car is a monster. Looks like the exhaust and the LSD definitely make a nice combo for these numbers. Aside from the ram air and the exhaust any other type of work done to the car?

Nothing like a 4600lb whale trapping 133
This is even more impressive, he lists track
Weight with driver (lbs): 4975
I highly doubt he weighs 375 lbs, his CL65 must have FULL options, truly awesome machine

I say pull passenger seat (weigh EZ 90+ lbs each) get that 10.4x

Last edited by Thericker; 02-11-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by SGC
Thanks Jody.

I also put the OS Giken limited slip in a while back because it was aggravating to have one wheel spin periodically when warming up the tires and during the launch. After installing the OS Giken, the 60' times have been better and much more consistent. No more one wheel wonder launches.
Anything else with the diff?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by SGC
The 10.62 e.t. is satisfying; however, I was blown away by trapping nearly 134. I believe with a harder launch (like your 1.57 vs. my 1.68) A high 10.40 is plausible.
I think you're right on the money. The higher trap speed may be due to the car getting into 4th gear before the traps. This is something my car isn't able to do as it sits. It's always going through the traps during that annoying elongated/powered down shift procedure. Major props to you and Renntech for raising the bar and being innovators.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
Anything else with the diff?
The O.S. Giken definitely makes launching in the 1.6s much more consistent. The LSD has also helped my car put down the power during roll ons. With the stock diff, I would occasionally light up one tire from as high as a 60 mph roll. So the LSD definitely has been a benefit; however, I don't think I've been able to fully explore all the benefits of the diff. since the tires have become the limiting factor. I have considered putting a set of slicks on the car to take away more of the traction issue.

I think you're right on the money. The higher trap speed may be due to the car getting into 4th gear before the traps. This is something my car isn't able to do as it sits. It's always going through the traps during that annoying elongated/powered down shift procedure. Major props to you and Renntech for raising the bar and being innovators.
Thanks Marko.

You guys have done a great job as well.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
708 rwhp 811 rwtq

Congrats!! The car is definitely moving!!

BTW, was your 624RWHP dyno with the current mods?
New dyno numbers after Renntech custom tune (hours on the dyno), Ram Air and high flow exhaust (200 cell cats). This is the set up that I ran last night.

708 rwhp 811 rwtq.

Torque may not be truly representative of actual number (actual torque number is probably higher) since throttle must be carefully applied on dyno or it will spin the tires on the rollers.
Attached Thumbnails 10.62 @ 133.70 - New CL65 record!-cl65-dyno-700-hp.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by SGC
New dyno numbers after Renntech custom tune (hours on the dyno), Ram Air and high flow exhaust (200 cell cats). This is the set up that I ran last night.

708 rwhp 811 rwtq.

Torque may not be truly representative of actual number (actual torque number is probably higher) since throttle must be carefully applied on dyno or it will spin the tires on the rollers.
WTF??? 708 rwhp on 93 ECU tune? You must be running a high octane tune now IE 100+

You're making nearly 80 more rwhp & 46 more rwtq than the RENNtech ECU tuned SL65 Black Series that has larger turbo's?? I think this is the same DynoJet they used for your CL65?

Your CL65 Dyno (it looks like your dyno is NOT corrected?)

Last edited by Thericker; 02-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 AM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by Thericker
WTF??? 708 rwhp on 93 ECU tune? You must be running a high octane tune now IE 100+

You're making nearly 80 more rwhp & 46 more rwtq than the RENNtech ECU tuned SL65 Black Series that has larger turbo's?? I think this is the same DynoJet they used for your CL65?
Thanks. Black series car was running a street 93 octane tune.

My car no longer has the same tune as it did when made 624 rwhp. That was a street tune for 93 + octane since I drive the car everyday.

The latest dyno is with a Renntech custom 100 octane race tune. Also, this dyno includes high flow exhaust with 200 cell cats and prototype Ram Air system which were not on car when I made 624 rwhp. However, most gains came from custom tune. My car was on the dyno for hours. Thanks again to the guys at Renntech for all their hard work.

These numbers are possible with stock (non black series) turbos. Ask Marko. If I'm not mistaken, his car put down over 690 to the wheels and a larger torque number. With the proper combination, the stock turbos can put down major power. It is truly a matter of unlocking potential in these motors that is governed by limits in the ECU/TCU.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I hear ya...

Originally Posted by SGC
Thanks. Black series car was running a street 93 octane tune.

My car no longer has the same tune as it did when made 624 rwhp. That was a street tune for 93 + octane since I drive the car everyday.

The latest dyno is with a Renntech custom 100 octane race tune. Also, this dyno includes high flow exhaust with 200 cell cats and prototype Ram Air system which were not on car when I made 624 rwhp. However, most gains came from custom tune. My car was on the dyno for hours. Thanks again to the guys at Renntech for all their hard work.

These numbers are possible with stock (non black series) turbos. Ask Marko. If I'm not mistaken, his car put down over 690 to the wheels and a larger torque number. With the proper combination, the stock turbos can put down major power. It is truly a matter of unlocking potential in these motors that is governed by limits in the ECU/TCU.
& understand high octane IE 100-105 really sings on Turbo applications, but your car vs Marko's isn't a good comparo he has ALL your mods + rear mounted trunk reservoir stuffed w/Ice (to lower IAT's from all that extra boost) Larger Intercoolers & CAI + tuned to 30 PSI

Your new Ram-air (as w/ALL true Ram-air set-ups don't show TRUE value on ANY Dyno, you need crazy fans worth $$$$ to replicate real world effects w/that mod IE your 1/4 ET & Trap speak to it's value.

RENNtech must've really stepped up their game w/tuning ECU/TCU & added more than 22 peak PSI to make all that power You sure they didn't add any other cooling mods
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 AM

CL65
Originally Posted by SGC
The O.S. Giken definitely makes launching in the 1.6s much more consistent. The LSD has also helped my car put down the power during roll ons. With the stock diff, I would occasionally light up one tire from as high as a 60 mph roll. So the LSD definitely has been a benefit; however, I don't think I've been able to fully explore all the benefits of the diff. since the tires have become the limiting factor. I have considered putting a set of slicks on the car to take away more of the traction issue.

Thanks Marko.

You guys have done a great job as well.
What I meant to ask was if there were any other components changed other than the OS Giken in the diff......

I'm 100% with you on how annoying it is to have one tire break loose. I can't believe they made a car with a twin turbo V12 and put an open rear end in it.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 AM

CL65
& understand high octane IE 100-105 really sings on Turbo applications, but your car vs Marko's isn't a good comparo he has ALL your mods + rear mounted trunk reservoir stuffed w/Ice (to lower IAT's from all that extra boost) Larger Intercoolers & CAI + tuned to 30 PSI

Your new Ram-air (as w/ALL true Ram-air set-ups don't show TRUE value on ANY Dyno, you need crazy fans worth $$$$ to replicate real world effects w/that mod IE your 1/4 ET & Trap speak to it's value.

RENNtech must've really stepped up their game w/tuning ECU/TCU & added more than 22 peak PSI to make all that power You sure they didn't add any other cooling mods

I also am still using factory mufflers and heat exchanger. No ram air either. My tune is also a mail order tune. I also haven't gotten a TCU mod. The stock TCU does a great job of slowing the car down and reducing power once certain limits are hit.

I think it is more accurate to say we have different mods, not one has more than the other.......

And BTW, on a data log of a 1/4 mile pass, my car doesn't see over 22 psi.

Last edited by MarkoCL65; 02-12-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I also am still using factory mufflers and heat exchanger. No ram air either. My tune is also a mail order tune. I also haven't gotten a TCU mod which does a great job of slowing the car down and taking away the power you put to the flywheel.

I think it is more accurate to say we have different mods, not one has more than the other.......
Ahh good points (I didn't men to speak for ya, your car carries a bit of celeb status around here)

Though I'm still confused how RENNtech makes all that HP w/out additional cooling mods
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 AM

CL65
Ahh good points (I didn't men to speak for ya, your car carries a bit of celeb status around here)

Though I'm still confused how RENNtech makes all that HP w/out additional cooling mods
No worries

There are many ways to make that power. I'm sure you've spoken with Marcin over the phone and are aware of what abilities he has with these ECU's and TCU's. I think I might have to give in to his requests and finally drop my car off over there. He swears there is at least 50 HP left on the table.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
No worries

There are many ways to make that power. I'm sure you've spoken with Marcin over the phone and are aware of what abilities he has with these ECU's and TCU's. I think I might have to give in to his requests and finally drop my car off over there. He swears there is at least 50 HP left on the table.
Yes sir! I too am eagerly awaiting Marcin's progress w/tuning & larger Turbs/mini-headers
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
SGC

2006 CL65
What I meant to ask was if there were any other components changed other than the OS Giken in the diff......

I'm 100% with you on how annoying it is to have one tire break loose. I can't believe they made a car with a twin turbo V12 and put an open rear end in it.
Nothing different with rear other than O.S. Giken diff. However, been able to adjust front/rear weight distribution with lowering module.

I also am still using factory mufflers and heat exchanger. No ram air either. My tune is also a mail order tune. I also haven't gotten a TCU mod. The stock TCU does a great job of slowing the car down and reducing power once certain limits are hit.

And BTW, on a data log of a 1/4 mile pass, my car doesn't see over 22
psi.
Agree 100%. Lots of potential limited by ECU/TCU. The guys at Renntech have been able to unleash it.

Sorry about the confusion, my car does have Renntech's intercooler pump upgrade here http://www.renntechmercedes.com/showroom_engine.php
(have to scroll down).

Also, it was 50 degrees night I ran with a - 450 DA.

No worries

Marcin is correct. I also know the feeling of not being able to leave well enough alone.

Last edited by SGC; 02-12-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Your car is making some serious power, applaud your efforts and Renntech's for making this beast. I sure miss my 65 but time will tell If I jump into something else. Stay posted.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Yea I think 10.4x's are very reachable in that car with a harder launch. I wonder if my drag wheel/tire setup will fit on your car. Bring it up to MIR and lets find out
Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Steve:

Did RENNtech raise the redline and shift points?

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Steve:

Tom
The turbos are too small for the engine. I wouldn't rev it past 5300 rpm based on that dyno plot. But what do I know Get some custom manifolds and bigger turbos on that bad boy and we are talkin INSANE power! Supra say what??? j/k
Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
SGC

2006 CL65
Your car is making some serious power, applaud your efforts and Renntech's for making this beast. I sure miss my 65 but time will tell If I jump into something else. Stay posted.
Thanks. I can see how you would miss your car.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Yea I think 10.4x's are very reachable in that car with a harder launch. I wonder if my drag wheel/tire setup will fit on your car. Bring it up to MIR and lets find out
What wheels and tires do you have?

Steve:

Tom
No, so since as blackbenz has said, turbos run out of steam up top.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 10.62 @ 133.70 - New CL65 record!