CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Buying Used CLS55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 White on Tan CLS63 AMG
Buying Used CLS55

Hi...planning to buy a used CLS55...anything I should be looking for during the test drive, to make sure its in tip top shape?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lincoln LS V8
Make sure all the electronics work, including the soft-close feature (if you close the doors gently, it'll use air to pull them shut). I don't know if this applies to the CLS or not.

Check the nav screen when it's off for any defects. Improper cleaning can cause damage that's only obvious with the screen off. Applies to most cars

Check the lights (especially the turn signal mirrors) for condensation. I don't know if this is a common problem on the CLS or not.

Try to see the car after it's been sitting for a day or two to make sure it's level. The car uses a hydraulic suspension (active body control or ABC) which is ludicrously expensive to fix. I believe CLS uses Airmatic, not ABC.

Get a pre-purchase inspection from someone who's familiar with these cars. Make sure they check the intercooler pump (should be easy to scan for, but unless you're very familiar with these cars you probably won't be able to tell just by driving it). PPI is always a good idea when buying a high-end car. IC pump applies to any 55 Kompressor engine.

Edit: I just re-read your post, and realized you're asking about a CLS, not a CL. Some of my comments were CL specific, so I've added notes at the end of each section. You'd probably have better results posting in the CLS section.

Last edited by StarPower; 02-21-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Wrong car