CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Need help understanding my cl55 amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl55 amg
Need help understanding my cl55 amg

I had a diagnostic on car well after buying a couple weeks ago... shame on me. Anyway, I also do not have an extended warranty on the 02 cl55 amg. Received $5, 700 worth repairs suggested. $3,000 for both suspension valves on passenger side , leaking internally. I understand to be major repair, but what extended warranty would cover this? The car still lifts when i turn "lift button " in car. Should keep this button turned on? Was told if doesnt lift at all when i crank it, to not drive it. I dont know a whole hell of a lot about this car. This is the first mercedes ever owned. Drove a ford expedition the last 6 years. had issues with it, and took care of it and it took care of me. I see Mercedes is a different ball game.

Diagnostics results:

$1200 lower control arm bushings and thrust are bushings all torn. $800 for trunk lift motor leaking. $250 struts, $100 transmission mount is flat and transmission service $275 ( i am getting this done in a week). What do you guys think? Get a warranty? Not rolling in the cash for repairs. I dont drive the car everyday. I am a Mom with a 8 year kid and not a "car wiz". love the car, but dont want to find myself trading in a year cause i can't afford to care for it.

Please help me out there! Should I panic?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
What specific symptoms does your car demonstrate?

Re: the ABC Valve Blocks(suspension valves)on passenger side leaking internally. It could be as simple as changing the seals or O-ring on each valve block Pressure Sensor and the leak may be fixed. The best thing is the cost will be only 1/10th of the estimate you were given.

No need to keep the car in 'lift' position always. These cars will slowly raise on their own upon being put in gear and you release the brake pedal to drive.

The lower control arm bushing parts can be sourced online and the work done by an independant garage you trust, if $$$ is a concern.

Forget the trunk lift motor for now(you can lift the lid yourself-right?)

$250 struts???--Sounds REAL good, considering I've heard the struts on these cars can be mucho $$$$.
Tranny mount and service, yea, go for it. Watch the labour costs...

GET A WARRANTY and buy the MBZ STAR SERVICE Service Manual Library DVD for 220/215 model Mercedes. It will help you or anyone you wish to work on the car understand it better and reduce panic.

Enjoy your ride and best wishes.

P.S. Learn to top-up the ABC fluid reservoir to keep your ABC suspension and tandem pump in prime operating condition. This willsave you $$$ in the long run.

Last edited by Ifari; 04-08-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM

cl55 amg
The only symptom I have with the ABC is red light would come on that says car too low, stop. I do not drive the car everyday. I will turn off the lift button as you suggested. Mechanic did not list specifics of suspension valves to leaking internally.

And yes, LOL. I can lift the trunk lid, but how do i get to manual mode to do so? When i pull trunk button if does that fancy lift. How can I change that?

I trust this mechanic. Labor costs are $85 bucks an hour!

I will learn about this ABC fluid reservoir. This puppy is expensive. B the way, still panicing.....just ready enjoy it!

Last edited by Campbell Family; 04-08-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 AM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
That's Ok then.

The light will go out once you either raise the car yourself, or put it into gear. The red-light message happens, when the car is parked for approx a week or more and some leakage will occur.
It is due to the metal to metal design of the Valve Blocks according to MBZ..... No big deal.

The trunk release button is located where the trunk key hole is. Under the lip where the MB Star is placed on the trunk, is the latch release button. Just push 'up and in', if using the trunk key or to open the trunk manually.

Personally, I can't stress it enough....GET THE MBZ STAR SERVICE DVD for your own peace of mind and for your trusted mechanic's as well.

Also, don't hesitate to learn the ABCs of your car....then you'll really enjoy it--for less $$$.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w215...bc-issues.html This link is The Best for ABC issues.

You're welcome...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM

cl55 amg
Thank you , thank you. I will be able to teach my husband a thing or two when i get this manual. I will definitely get a warranty prior to addressing suspension valve issue. You have provided me with much comfort. Looking to purchase extended warranty thru Chrysler.

LOL. I will be lifting the trunk on my own as well. Oh, another question.... sorry. But when the car if off , or still i hear this noise that sounds like air/pressure. Is that normal?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
No problem...GET THE DVD for sure and use the money you'd pay for a warranty to do repairs and maintenance...JMHO!

The sound you describe could be a leak in the valve block pressure sensor/s.....first, change the O-ring/s on the pressure sensor/s and see if the 'hiss' goes away.
This job is far less expensive (Approx. $90 for part/s and 1 hr or less labour) than changing the valve blocks and may be all you'll really need to do.

Study the diagram to get a simple understanding of the ABC system components.

Best wishes.
Attached Thumbnails Need help understanding my cl55 amg-abc-electronics.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM

cl55 amg
THANK YOU IFARI! I will do what you recommended. This makes me feel better. lol. ABC comes on sporadically and when parked for the night sometimes. But as soon as I start to drive the light or message car too low, stop, disappears. I just want to know I can keep this car without having to spend my life savings.

The hss noise I will get looked at this week. Where can i get this DVD set again? How much is it? The weather is beautiful in Atlanta today. Are you telling me to drive it and enjoy?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 PM

2000 CL500 1992 300SE
You're welcome.

LOL.....Hotlanta is always nice--right?

You can get the DVD on order from your MBZ dealer Parts Dept. While there, buy some ABC fluid so you can keep the ABC reservoir topped up, or have your tech do it.

Cost is approx. $100 for the DVD and $30 for a litre of ABC hydraulic fluid.....The Best money you can spend on these cars.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Ifari; 04-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

E 350
You might also look into the EasyCare warranty.. I bought mine at MB in Duluth.. very affordable.