CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

WHY are OUR cars NOT POPULAR? with only 194 built?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
OUCH!

Truth hurts, though...

Problem is, most people who can afford a 200K dollar CL65 are in their mid 40's and have a family. They (or their war department - wives-) won't be able to justify such a purchase. As such, the younger CL65 driver is likely single (or, at least no family), so they don't need the rear seats for kiddies, hence no need for a 4 door car.

The CL65 is not for everyone. It's that simple. Love it or hate it, it's a car that caters to a very small percentage of Mercedes drivers.

Last edited by Sathinas; 08-22-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
good points...

I have to disagree with the 40's buyers.... a nice G37 OR 335I is in the mid 30's now as well as a IS350....so the buyers choose YUPPIE CARS over exotic cars......and most buyers of those Yuppie cars
are in the mid to late 20's .....

Like I said if more people who were into performance oriented cars knew more about the 65's NONE would be for sale.....

When I have raced a C63 or a M6 or a CTS-v...OR ANYTHING of that value...and I always pull way ahead..the questions come up
'Hey what kind of MERCEDES is that?...did you spend $100k? OMG it has a v12 with 2 turbos? or I wish I KNEW more about your car...I wouldnt of bought mine...your car is insane"
EVERY CHIC at the street races...always say "damn see thats how you ride...that is a real car there" I have heard it like 10 times rolling by to go to a race ......
ALL THE TIME......every time

SATHINAS...it has been announced the v12 biturbo is being eliminated...it has been announced on this board and everywhere else...

Yes people assume it to be another Mercedes and the styling gets looks as well as those cool v12 biturbo badges....

Lets not forget when you start this **** up..that is priceless to on lookers...

And SATHINAS...it still it the most powerful car out there...you can do the research...but it is...trust me...

and Yes at 4650 lbs it it heavy...the new CTS coupe weighs 4350 lbs...so it not behind in terms of more modern cars....AT ALL...

And that 750 lbs of torque gets the car to run a nice 121 mph through the 1/4 stock.... enough said....and that friends is better then 90% of the "OTHER" SPORTSCARS out there....not luxury coupes for which the CL is..... infact I CLOCKED A 3.5 0-60 once in my old S65 stock ...that is insane on a car like that....hell a z06 has a hard time doing that...it weighs 3200 lbs!!!!!

TORQUE IS KING....THE 65 is the ruler of the road in terms of power...

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-22-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Who am I to argue about the V12 being phased out in the next few months...

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...g-in-fall.html

Seriously???
It is NOT the most powerful production car out there!
http://www.gizmag.com/go/2662/
http://www.esato.com/archive/t.php/t-127069,1.html

Do I need to continue?

As far as this magical 750ft lbs of torque, where do you get this figure from? Mercedes spec'd the car out with 738ft lbs, not 750. Do you know why they did that?

121 in the quarter, stock? Unlikely. In stock form, the CL doesn't have the rear grip for such acceleration. Ask me how I know this. Now, maybe with the Stig behing the wheel, but with an average Joe? No fuggin way.

I'm not arguing the CL65 is not a great car. But it is by far, not the best car out there.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
Thanks Blown. Yes I agree. I love the 216. But the rear looks exactly like a Acura CL and it is too Generic .....

VOMIT.......LOL....u may of driven one highly doubtful it was a biturbo and if it was u woukd own one now.......Out of style? 80% of MERECEDES line now is copycat generic....Except just 3 of the higher end cars......S and SLS and CL

Fact : CL's get the best technology first and are the lowest production of the Mercedes line...... I have been told from 2000-2006 less then 3000 CL's were made yearly including AMG's. Making them even more rare now. I see a older CL like 3-4 times a month. i see a CTS every 5 min and a new E class every 10 min......Personally since the car has been out of production for 4 years. It is even more of an attention getter. It was and still is considered the best looking Benz built in the last 10 years by many MAGAZINES....My CL's always get looks and stares. When u see a car like this one. A pillar less coupe with v12 BITURBO on the fender. Sorry folks who disagree but being an owner of a few ultra exotics .... The CL65 stands out by far......

I just picked up a C class for a friend... 30k miles. $26k. And a CL65 is just $8k more then the rental car u see on the road all day? Lol

Now the v12 is obsolete in the next few months. If not even now on the production line. Our cars will be the King Dinosaurs that once ruled and will always have respect and prestige

......I don't know why you keep bringing up low production numbers. In this case the low production number is a reflection of poor demand. This not a positive attribute. An old model CL65 with 83K miles is indeed the most niche vehicle there is. There may be only 2 people in the entire country that will be interested in it. The new owner will be stuck with it forever. By the time the new owner drives it for a year, the car will have nearly 1000K miles and will be completely not able to be sold.

Ted
Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
I have to disagree with the 40's buyers.... a nice G37 OR 335I is in the mid 30's now as well as a IS350....so the buyers choose YUPPIE CARS over exotic cars......and most buyers of those Yuppie cars
are in the mid to late 20's .....

Like I said if more people who were into performance oriented cars knew more about the 65's NONE would be for sale.....

When I have raced a C63 or a M6 or a CTS-v...OR ANYTHING of that value...and I always pull way ahead..the questions come up
'Hey what kind of MERCEDES is that?...did you spend $100k? OMG it has a v12 with 2 turbos? or I wish I KNEW more about your car...I wouldnt of bought mine...your car is insane"
EVERY CHIC at the street races...always say "damn see thats how you ride...that is a real car there" I have heard it like 10 times rolling by to go to a race ......
ALL THE TIME......every time

SATHINAS...it has been announced the v12 biturbo is being eliminated...it has been announced on this board and everywhere else...

Yes people assume it to be another Mercedes and the styling gets looks as well as those cool v12 biturbo badges....

Lets not forget when you start this **** up..that is priceless to on lookers...

And SATHINAS...it still it the most powerful car out there...you can do the research...but it is...trust me...

and Yes at 4650 lbs it it heavy...the new CTS coupe weighs 4350 lbs...so it not behind in terms of more modern cars....AT ALL...

And that 750 lbs of torque gets the car to run a nice 121 mph through the 1/4 stock.... enough said....and that friends is better then 90% of the "OTHER" SPORTSCARS out there....not luxury coupes for which the CL is..... infact I CLOCKED A 3.5 0-60 once in my old S65 stock ...that is insane on a car like that....hell a z06 has a hard time doing that...it weighs 3200 lbs!!!!!

TORQUE IS KING....THE 65 is the ruler of the road in terms of power...
I've told you b4 how much I like your posts

Let them drive in their yuppie cars lol.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Munk, you've recommended ABC sport mode before. Do you think the system is more reliable in this mode, and if so, why?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
I'm waiting for my first CL.. 2011 CL63 coming this November.. The dealer never mentioned service costs... I doubt he was with-holding info... LOLOLOLOL Will I need a second job????
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

lol....this thread is getting BETTER...yes...

I love the boucing off each others heads....damn

Ok look Sathinas....NO I mentioned the torque numbers not HP...go back and read....our cars have more torque then any other PRODUCTION CAR...making it the most powerful...TORQUE IS King on mass movement....A Koni? Please they will make a handful of those a year and it is pre-ordered and built to specs...a Veryon...same thing man...

You are right though SATHINAS...65's yes ...but no more v12tt IN THE 600's....And I believe 2011 will be the last year on the 65....

A CL65 is a showroom buy it now production car in limited numbers...big difference between A Koni or that list......some other folk here will agree...

Besides come on...My $35k CL65 that will run a stock 121-122 MPH in the 1/4..done it many times with the last few I had...infact ALON on here ran that in the dead heat 2 months ago...his CL65 I sold him is STOCK...

Ted ...so what it has 83k or 100k miles...I have a nice GMC pickup with 288k miles...original drivetrain and runs great....So when a person hits lets say 50 years old they r not nearly as smart as a 20 year old or as strong? LOL...they just proved that a 50 year old is smarter...and you dont lose muscle mass or strength until you hit 65....A strange comparison but TRUE...I am almost 20 years to 50 so In reality I would like to think This to be true as well....AGE IS ONLY A NUMBER IF YOU TAKE care of something....lol

Yes the car will be for a few buyers out there...and YES THE NEW OWNER MAY be stuck with one kickass AMG...for the cost of a Honda....lol...who could complain about that?......most people will want to pay $30k or less for a 100k miles CL65...you know what I say ***** them idiots...they can go play fetch with a ISF or Z06 with less miles...not as cool...no where nearly as well built and when the z06 or CAMARO SS hits 80k miles and the BENZ is at say 125k miles...The AMG is still gonna be quicker...tighter and running like it did new....plain and simple...you get what you pay for ...

A $200K CAR is more for your money at $35k with 83k miles then a brand new CAMARO SS with ZERO....OR a ISF with 30k miles on it...the list goes on and on....

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-22-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

SAINTZ......here it is

MAKE sure you keep enough fluid in the ABC...make sure you dont leak anything and drive around the potholes and crap roads...this is a killer in time on a ABC.....and yes I believe keeping it in sport mode is best all the time...

In the last few years and many many ABC cars...I have had to replace nothing on any of them.....seriously

The higher the mile cars also seem to be less issues with them....I have heard a few guys on here just fixing ABC at well over 100k miles...they are obviously driving them more then the low miles drivers...

Maybe I have better luck because I buy the higher mile cars....Ted...

I owned a S65....with 58k miles...let it sit for 2 weeks...bam the coil went bad...prior to that being driven daily...it was perfect....IMO the higher the miles the better these cars treat our wallets...

Last edited by retardedmunk; 08-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

WAITING 4 550....no second job until u sell it ..lol

It will lose a good 50% in the first 18 months...unless u lease it...but then again a buy on a 2008 CL65 is $1500 a month and a lease on a 2011 CL63 is over $3k....much prefer the 65 for half....who wouldnt?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Oh for crying out loud. Now you are referring to Torque when you call the car "most powerful".

As far as the cars in that list... Every automotive journalist who makes his/her living as one, calls them production cars. You don't seem to accept that, and that's fine by me, I guess.

Wikipedia (yeah, I know, "wikipedia? Really?" - It's the best I can do on short notice) calls a car with a serial number assembled in a factory a production car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_car

It thought we were talking about the CL65, not the CL55, CL500, 600, etc?

And it's not a $200,000 car. It's a $35K dollar car. I don't care what it sold for originally, I care about what it costs now.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Quote: "I thought I had left the Bentley's hand brake on".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd8FMYppERU
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL 55 AMG
Love the car

I have a cl55 and can't go one day without someone saying what a great car it is. Outdated look, high maintence , repair problems , no room ......you must be a lexus dealer.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by Sathinas
Well... OK... Actually, a few more than 3000 CL's were produced during those years.

The V12 is obsolete? Really? What will MB stuff in the 2012 CL65? A V-5? Yes, I typed v-5.

The CL65 is not a car for everyone. If you constantly worry about fuel economy, this car is not for you.
If you complain about spending 3 grand every 60K miles for front brakes, it's not for you..
If you can't afford a tune-up, it's not for you. Someone mentioned it takes 6 hours to do a tune-up at the dealership. I can personally complete a spark plug change in about 2 hours. Why? Because I've changed the spark plugs every 15-20K miles on mine. It's not hard.

Same goes for oil changes, transmission fluid changes, rear differential, etc. If you ignore the oil(s), it will come and bite you on the *** later on down the road.

And quit it with the most powerful production car, people! It's not! I was at one time, but not anymore. Furthermore, you all are missing one little thing... weight! A car that makes 738ft lbs of torque and weighs 5000lbs will accelerate about as quickly as a car that makes 370ft lbs of torque and weighs 2500 lbs. So, naturally, it's not the quickest, either.

For it's size, the CL65 is a heavy ****.

Status, prestige, . The main reason I drive a CL65 is because it blends in so well. I don't know where people get the idea the CL65 is such an attention *****. It's not. Most people don't know what AMG is, let alone what CL65 means. They see the Mercedes star, and think "oh... another Mercedes".

Hell, I have passengers in cars that pass me on the highway do double and triple takes when they chance to see the fender badges. Why? Because they didn't know what kind of a Mercedes the car was as their car was passing mine. And then, they look down read V12 BITURBO, look forward, and then what they just read sinks in and they snap their heads back to the badges to make sure they read it right. Happens almost every day.

Resale: If you worry about resale, this car isn't for you. It's really that simple.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If I were to buy a 65, it would be as a stealth upgrade from my C32. Just as with the CL65, my C32 causes all sorts of consternation as "fast" cars get their asses handed to them. With the CL65, I could actually have a shot at the Z06s that currently leave me in the dust. Stealth is a beautiful thing. I think that I am warming up to the CL!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Banned

good night gents....

back from another 200 mile experience in the ole 65 ...

Nice vid IFARI......

YES THE CL is the ****za...will be a collector car one day....I am sure of it..

peace out homies...
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
......everyone is posting how unique the CL65 is and how it is not for everyone. Isn't that the point why it is hard to sell? The thread starter was shocked that his high mileage old model CL65 is not selling. Looks like he got his answer. Waxing about how unique the CL65 is only helps make the case for why it is not a hot seller.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 08-23-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Whilst the OP's love for the 65 AMGs is somewhat commendable I think you're rather blinkered. Yes these cars are quick, yes they offer excellent value for money four years old but these cars are NOT reliable! Why else would most warranty companies shy away from covering them?

For new CL65 money you can get a vehicle with much more prestige than a Benz; Aston Martin DB9, Bentley Continental GT, Ferrari GTs. Yes, as the Top Gear drag race video shows (in particular with the Bentley) they are not as fast but not many people are after the volcano under the hood that the CL65 offers.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Good article comparing the CL against Aston, Bentley, and Ferrari:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I rarely see CL's of any kind, even the CL500 compared to the other cars - I'll see S classes all day, especially in NYC.

Now, the CL65 is a really cool car - but it is a niche car, especially an older one with this mileage. Someone looking for one may be looking for the best "bang for the buck" due to its low price now and power, but there are issues - I don't believe it to be a reliable car due to the fact that it has a lot of components and advanced technology, and a high price to fix such items over time without a warranty.

It's definitely a cool car. I love the look, and power behind it. Certainly is a bit hard to get full traction at times, but when you do, it has a lot of power.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
new 63 is gonna be more hi-tech than a 65
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM

c32
The CL 500 is a mid 20s drug dealer car... thats all it is now
Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
the reason why cl65 is not popular because it's too expensive in relative sense. At that price range, people rather choose a bentley, aston, maserati, ferrari, sls amg, audi r8 v10, 911 turbo, lambo, and the list goes on.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

we are talking used cars here...

Where do u get the $35k supercar Bentley or Lambo or ?? NO WHERE...all those cars are 2x or more the price and the costs to repair are 10x more then the 65 .....

AGAIN....I want to point out the RELABILITY ISSUE.....??????
Since every post here goes back to that issue...I DISAGREE....

I have so far driven this 65 and many others well over 75k miles now in the last 2 years and have had less then $750 in repairs done....

ummmmmm MY LEXUS AND NISSAN FRONTIER have cost me more in REPAIRS...in that time

Am I missing something......

The fact to say something is not reliable is to say it breaks down all the time?

None of my 65's or even 55's have left me stranded or cost me much of anything in terms of repairs OR have broken down at all.....

WTF?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

BENZBOY

Drug dealers have excellent taste.....I know a couple...and one does drive a 65 DAILY too....and a Murci and now a SLS as well.....

he is 32 though....

GOOD POINT......
Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM

'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
There is a reason why the 65 depreciates so fast compare to similarly (new) priced Aston, 911, Bentley etc.

For 35k$, I'd rather buy an used 911/Cayman because it looks better. The old CL looks boxy and unattractive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: WHY are OUR cars NOT POPULAR? with only 194 built?