CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 will not start!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL 65 AMG
CL65 will not start!

Hello all,

I have a 05 cl65 AMG with only 10K on it. It's a show car and in mind condition. I live in the northeast where the cold winters are. The is never driven in the winter and always garage kept. I start her once a month in the winter and let her run about 25 min to get the fluids going. Never had any problems untill this month. When trying to start her, it just makes a repeitive clicking noise. I checked the battery and it is fine. Lights work on the car but the dash lights flicker a little when the clicking noise happens. Engine does not crank just the clicking. The only modification is an installed renntech chip which was last year but never had any problems.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Kris
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Hey, my car did the same thing and I thought it was the starter motor. But, I checked the battery dropped voltage massively while cranking meaning it wasn't strong enough to start it but everything else was working fine. Get a boost try to start it then would be my advice
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Prob need a new battery even though you think it's fine. I had the same situation and while my battery tender said it was 70% charged I later found out it was dead as a door nail.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
What they said - and invest in a battery tender!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by kroglieri
Hello all,

I have a 05 cl65 AMG with only 10K on it. It's a show car and in mind condition. I live in the northeast where the cold winters are. The is never driven in the winter and always garage kept. I start her once a month in the winter and let her run about 25 min to get the fluids going. Never had any problems untill this month. When trying to start her, it just makes a repeitive clicking noise. I checked the battery and it is fine. Lights work on the car but the dash lights flicker a little when the clicking noise happens. Engine does not crank just the clicking. The only modification is an installed renntech chip which was last year but never had any problems.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Kris

We have been having record cold temps here in New York and some of the cars we store away in our warehouse have not turned over. The battery chances are went really low. I have had this occure a couple times. No worries. Keep us updated.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
My CL did the same, don't be fooled by the lights in the cluster, it might be the battery. I bought a new battery and viola!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by kroglieri
Hello all,

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Kris

Definitely the Battery!