CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

w216 CL65 and its rarity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
w216 CL65 and its rarity

I sold the my E55 and am ready for something more uncommon. Now I know that the price on some of the CL65s out there has dropped almost by half. The price of a pre-owned 2008 cl65 is about the same as a brand new 2012 cls 63. However I know the CLS 63 will depreciate faster and be less common. Does any one know how rare the CL65s are? production numbers?

thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
Below are production numbers for US

2008: CL63 - 1,476 cars built
2008: CL65 - 327 cars built
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM

S550 sport, CL550 sport, CL63 Designo
Wow. I didn't know they produced so little of them?!

Keep in mind that maintaining a CL65 is a heck of a lot more compared to your E55. This is the most expensive car in the MB line up and just because the price is now less than half of the orginial it doesn't mean the repair costs are any less.

Get one with an extended warranty or if you want V12TT, I would go with CL600.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

2005CL65 NOS injected Escalade
SUPER RARE AND COOL...LOOK

The 2005-2006 CL65 IS RARER THEN A-------
BUGATTI VERYON
SLR
ZR1
GT40
SLS
CARRERA GT
GALLARDO
LP640
ENZO
F430
PHANTOM
shall I go on????

Info--- around 2500 LAMBOS are made yearly
and close to 4000-5000 BENTLEY GT's are
made yearly

ARE THEY RARE??? YOUR DAMN RIGHT!!
I OWN A 2005---ONLY 187 WERE BUILT in 2005-2006
I prefer the older style for the cost and look

I WONDER DAILY WHY THEY ARE SO CHEAP?? $40K GETS YOU A 2005
PEOPLE SAY ..OMG THEY ARE EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN...BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE OWNED MANY 65's and they all cost me less then my DODGE 1500 TO MAINTAIN

I HAVE 95K MILES ON MY CAR..STILL IS LIKE NEW...THE LAST REPAIR WAS MADE 60K MILES AGO.....I GOT THE VMI FOR PROOF......TRY THAT WITH A LAMBO OR FERRARI

IF MORE PEOPLE REALLY KNEW ABOUT OUR CARS...AND THE RELIABILITY ..THEY WOULD NEVER BE FOR SALE...EVER!!....

Last edited by 65number1; 06-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 AM

Im glad your 215 65 has been reliable. You have 90k miles on your car but how many were put on by you? You just joined a few days ago so im assuming not many? I know on the m275 motors, the ignition coil and spark plugs needs to be replaced around 90k to 100k miles. The cost is around 1300 to 1400 for each. The abc for the 215 is also another issue with higher mileage vehicles. I dont know how much that costs but i imagine its got to be north of 5000. Im not sure about the brake rotors on the 215 65 but the 216 65 rotors are around 1000 a piece. A lot of these things are not reliability issues but more wear and tear. Just the facts for cost of ownership.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

I bought this one with 74k miles---it is a perfect car

For being the world's most powerful production car---- and I consider it to be an ultra exotic
THE OVERALL REPAIRS AND COST OF OWNERSHIP IS RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP

I have actually owned a lot of 65's. This car is the highest mileage one and has been issue free

The VMI shows only one abc strut was replaced on the car 60k miles ago....
Minor things were fixed under warranty----

The coils were replaced by the last owner at 73k miles including the plugs ... Super cheap at $2500 including labor and center module.. Why I say cheap? Well it is the most POWERFUL production car.... A small price any comparison to any other exotics car like a lambo or Ferrari...

I replaced the front ORIGINAL rotors at 83k miles. BTW they will be good for another 80k miles or 2 sets of pads ..... I paid $1800 for labor and parts...
Again CHEAP.....these brakes are insanely superior to 90% of the brakes on most production cars ----- and work well for a 600hp car weighing 4400 lbs....
Hell my CL65 cost me $10k less then a Challenger srt8 and my 65 weighs the same as a challenger and has 200 more hp. Twice the torque. I get better gas mileage and my 65 is at 95k miles still 5 times the quality car the srt8 is brand new!!! Don't get me wrong I love the challengers but to choose my car over one is a no-brainer even with 100k mles on my car----

So basically in 6 years my car has had one suspension part replaced as for being the most expensive repair

All 4 corners to replace in the abc is less then $4000 and that
Will never happen-----

So by comparison these cars are ultra reliable for what they offer

Last edited by 65number1; 06-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 PM

True
Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
S550 coupe
I am at 52K miles (from 22K miles 2 years ago) and just replaced my first coil today under certified warranty. ABC hose blew last week also fixed under warranty. Other then that some little odds and ends replaced like transmission mount, some rubbers etc.

Love the car so much I might keep it when warranty expires 12 months from now and set some money aside for repairs..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 06-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by zelement
Wow. I didn't know they produced so little of them?!

Keep in mind that maintaining a CL65 is a heck of a lot more compared to your E55. This is the most expensive car in the MB line up and just because the price is now less than half of the orginial it doesn't mean the repair costs are any less.

Get one with an extended warranty or if you want V12TT, I would go with CL600.
Extended warranty is a must. The cl65 will not be my everyday car. The CL600 is also an amazing 2nd option, however those are only about 25k cheaper now. I know it sounds like alot, but when u factor in AMG: bumpers, skirts, brakes, seats, tranny etc. the 65 is the way to go.. i'd rather the official V12ttAMG
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Also wanted to add

I was a member here a long time. Just recently came back with a more preferred SN-----

NOW-- I have owned so many cars. Many many AMG's.

The CL class is the lowest of all MERCEDES models built--- with less then 3000
In total of all models of the CL built yearly
CL63
CL550
CL65
CL600

And it also gets the most technology first and it is the most expensive MERCEDES multiple model car they sell.

My passion for the 65 is a true love--- I truly see and feel as I drive around in my car that it is seen as a unique MERCEDES to say the least

WHY I love the older body style?
COST- for under $45k any fool stupid enough to get into another model outside of first approaching a "CL65" first is just tasteless...gas mileage is the same. They all are equally as expensive to fix if they break. Etc...
Why unless u need 4 doors or a yuppie car would u buy a SRT8, CamaroSS, Audi S5, C63, CTSV, zo6, E63 , m5 , M6, ISF, or CLS if a "CL65" is priced the same? I see a $200k supercar for a fraction of the price as a bargain beyond any sense.....I have owned all those mentioned cars and my CL65 was always in my garage going nowhere----only the mentioned cars got sold )))
It is the fastest most comfortable factory stock car on the planet and ridiculously good looking and cheap!!!!

The CL65 is Super unique. My car is looked at And gawked at by as many people now as I did with my GTR and SLR.....no lie
These cars haven't been built in 5 years. When people see it now 95% of the average lookers who know Mercedes as an expensive car see the car as a newer model which cost a lot based on most people rarely see a older CL on the street and the 65 is super rare... I have had many people ask me how much the car cost. What is a twin turbo v12. They have asked me many times if it was a special order car and do I feel safe parking it outside ...etc...Not one person has ever said anything about the year
They just assume it is a newer body style Mercedes built very few of...

Now my car is unique too.... It looks exotic.
With less then 100 still in the USA from 2005-2006.
I did a few things to make it even sexier--- I am converting the car to my own
Black Series as if AMG built it ----

I started with the wheels and lowering. Next is the headliner all black suade
And carbon fiber mirrors and interior trim is coming with all the badges going carbon fiber as well or just matte black ---- it is gonna be a sick setupnwhen complete.

These cars IMO are the sexiest Benz next to the CLS. It is a true wide bodied
Almost all aluminum bodied super car----

So as I said I lowered the car. And I painted the original wheels Dodge Charger 2010 metallic black with 3 coats of clear to the lip and the entire barrel as well....I put on black carbon fiber center caps and
Chrome lugs---- I kept the bolts that hold the wheels together the original alloy look.... I bowed out the rear wheels to give it a wider stance and they sit perfect in the wells ......The WHEELS LOOK SICK. it says "this car is an exotic car". The car looks like a completely different car.....

I also re-shot the calipers with clear so the grey and sheen on the wheels
makes the whole setup look amazing.

I will post pics soon.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 CL55 AMG
I would love to see pics. It sounds amazing.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Tx. I am working on them

2005 CL65 Black Series in the works!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by 65number1
I was a member here a long time. Just recently came back with a more preferred SN-----

You can tell retardedmunk's posts from a mile a way....even under a different screen name. His posts about the reliability of the ABC and 65's is unusually opptimistic yet totally unrealistic.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Hi Blown

You may be a bit confused. That is the wrong person....

My optimistic opinion is based on fact and ownership. Truthfully if the car was a nightmare and had a ton of issues wouldn't I boast such a outrage!

After owning this car for 20k plus miles and many more I am extremely happy with the reliability of the cars plain and simple. I didn't start driving cars last year so my expertise based on owning well over 70 automobiles says a lot. IMO they are very consistent with the performance they offer and they are incredibly reliable on a 1-10 charted comparison to anything I have owned. Infact I keep all my records. My AMG's I have very very few repair receipts....
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The 2005-2006 CL65 IS RARER THEN A-------
BUGATTI VERYON
SLR
ZR1
GT40
SLS
CARRERA GT
GALLARDO
LP640
ENZO
F430
PHANTOM
shall I go on????

Info--- around 2500 LAMBOS are made yearly
and close to 4000-5000 BENTLEY GT's are
made yearly

ARE THEY RARE??? YOUR DAMN RIGHT!!
I OWN A 2005---ONLY 187 WERE BUILT in 2005-2006
I prefer the older style for the cost and look

I WONDER DAILY WHY THEY ARE SO CHEAP?? $40K GETS YOU A 2005
PEOPLE SAY ..OMG THEY ARE EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN...BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE OWNED MANY 65's and they all cost me less then my DODGE 1500 TO MAINTAIN

I HAVE 95K MILES ON MY CAR..STILL IS LIKE NEW...THE LAST REPAIR WAS MADE 60K MILES AGO.....I GOT THE VMI FOR PROOF......TRY THAT WITH A LAMBO OR FERRARI

IF MORE PEOPLE REALLY KNEW ABOUT OUR CARS...AND THE RELIABILITY ..THEY WOULD NEVER BE FOR SALE...EVER!!....
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
This # trumps a Enzo and Veryon and ZR1 vette and the LP640

so I will have to let everyone who asks me about the car that

"It is more powerful and rarer then a ENZO and a Lambo Murc"

Ofcourse I will have to sit and explain why the car has a value of $50k if it is so rare and powerful

I had to do this with my brother.....

I told him "people are just missing out man....not my problem"

When they figure it out all the good ones will be gone.....and nobody will sell you one now...

I still cant believe it.....
Must be long losts twins.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Banned

I think u have too much time

ON YOUR MIND!!! lmao.

Again love my cl65. Would recommend one to anybody looking for a super AMG. Car couldn't get enough looks and is extremely dependable

By far much cooler then a C63 and Camaro SS -----

I took a look at the new cls63 today. Matte launch edition.....Loved it. Just wasn't impressed with the regular version. Looks too much like a C class in the front and the rear is a second look Elantra
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 AM

2003 CL55 AMG
I have to disagree with 65number1...

From what i've read so far, these cars aren't reliable at all... First there are multiple known issues that costs tens of thousands to repair (ABC, coil packs, etc..), on top of that every part is very expensive (brake pads, rotors, electronics, etc..), even the windshield wipers cost 3 times that of regular cars, plus there are so many bells and whistles that can put holes in your pocket.... I'm sure you guys are aware but there is a reason why the used go for so cheap. Not many people are willing to spend time and tens of thousands of dollars on repairs. That is far from being a reliable vehicle in my book...

CL's are great cars, don't get me wrong. I love the way they look, luxurious comfort, smoothness, the power, i love these cars too but if someone asks:

1) Is it reliable? NO
2) Is it a exotic super car? First of all, if someone asks this, this person is clueless..... To me its a tuned comfortable luxury coupe with serious power that's comparable to a super car but speed/handling/performace wise, far from it.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Banned

Opinions vary. It takes one to know one

I can say I have had the pleasure of owning a lot of 65's. And a lot of AMG's. And I have put many miles on them. This Including a s55 with over 130k miles and a s600 with just shy of 200k mies. I have kept most of these cars around to drive and then sell later on so I haven't owned one since new and I wouldn't buy one new even though i could unfortunately afford to do so.

So the question is this. Are they reliable?

Well my current cl65 leaks not a drop of oil. Has had one real abc repair in 95k miles. A line replacement is $388.....Struts are the most expensive part. And my current car has had one replaced.

Possibly the owners whom have had these issues are driving their cars less and maybe when they do they drive them like a rally car?? Idk. But i do the opposite so maybe I am just fortunate

The rotors and coils are good for 80k miles or 5-6 years--- are you kidding? This is considered doomed repair costs on this car? You do realize it is a 604hp car and offers a ride and performance no other car in world does at the same time???

Total cost of maintenance items on my car to date in the last 6 years-----
New rotors and 3 sets of pads $2600
New coil packs and plugs and center module $2800
Total cost $5400 in 6 years and 95k miles or less then $1000 a year

My Lexus Ls430
2005 105k miles
4 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors $1800
1 command center $1700
New transmission $2300
2 alternators $750
2 fuel pumps $980
2 tune ups including injector flushes $475
$$$$$$. Which cost more?

Out of all the AMG's i have owned. I personally have never done a abc repair and I have again shall I say this. Over 20 abc equipped cars.....

Am I lucky? Am I just picking great cars??
No freaking way

1. I do not run over potholes and beat my cars silly. I do race them on the street and at the track on occasion
2. I ALWAYS leave the Sport mode setting on
3. I rarely put extra weight in the car
4. I don't turn into corners at 60 mph forcing the car to rely on it's suspension to damper the ride

Are they a super car? It depends on supercar on definition
I qualify a supercar as a car capable of handling and braking and acceleration above a normal mass produced High Performance car

1.My Cl65 handles excellent. I will run against anything short of a Viper ACS on the street. It will have understeer and oversteer but this car will out handle any performance car I can throw at it--- done it!!!!
2. Ungoverned my car will top out at just above 204 mph----- hmmmm you do the thinking on the comparison there. A LEXUS LFA hits 202 mph
3. Then braking is above and beyond any performance car I can think of short of a ZR1----which is a another supercar
4. The acceleration is beyond anything High Performance

Performance cars are ones like a Camaro SS or Gt500 or GT3 or RS4 or

Power is not just where the car excels. I sold a modified GTR to keep the CL65--- made no sense to keep two coupes...so I know apples from oranges

My CL65 weighs just a hair more then a Bugatti Veyron and it is the second most powerful car next to it

To top it off the 65's are rarer in terms of a supercar then most super cars...

Not to mention the engine alone in the 65's are valued at more then $80k new as a replacement as well.... Is that just a lurxury car with straight line performance? Not worthy of anything more then that?

Some people dont buy the cars based on knowledge of what it is not just the fact of repair issues they are concerned about... Every time a M5 guy or CTS-V guy or a C63 guy rolls up to my car. They stare with a very very strange look--- I am sure thinking "wow that car looks very cool. More so then mine. What is a CL65? I have never seen one before---- then realizing via ebay .....omg. That car cost $40k??? Wow. It looks like a $125k car". I have been told that at 3 Mercedes dealers and a BMW Dealer as well as a few car shows.....many are in disbelief the car is so cheap. Ignorance is bliss. I learned a few years back about these cars from reading about them in magazines. So I said one day I will own this supercar. And I have owned many and not one regret and one single repair bill that exceeded anything that wasn't normal for even my Lexus.

Takes one to own many to know them

Last edited by 65number1; 06-28-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 AM

I started this thread in hopes of getting more info on the w216. Not the w215. However I am assuming that most of the engine related discussion also applies to the w216 cl65.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
For being the world's most powerful production car---- and I consider it to be an ultra exotic
THE OVERALL REPAIRS AND COST OF OWNERSHIP IS RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP

I have actually owned a lot of 65's. This car is the highest mileage one and has been issue free

The VMI shows only one abc strut was replaced on the car 60k miles ago....
Minor things were fixed under warranty----

The coils were replaced by the last owner at 73k miles including the plugs ... Super cheap at $2500 including labor and center module.. Why I say cheap? Well it is the most POWERFUL production car.... A small price any comparison to any other exotics car like a lambo or Ferrari...

I replaced the front ORIGINAL rotors at 83k miles. BTW they will be good for another 80k miles or 2 sets of pads ..... I paid $1800 for labor and parts...
Again CHEAP.....these brakes are insanely superior to 90% of the brakes on most production cars ----- and work well for a 600hp car weighing 4400 lbs....
Hell my CL65 cost me $10k less then a Challenger srt8 and my 65 weighs the same as a challenger and has 200 more hp. Twice the torque. I get better gas mileage and my 65 is at 95k miles still 5 times the quality car the srt8 is brand new!!! Don't get me wrong I love the challengers but to choose my car over one is a no-brainer even with 100k mles on my car----

So basically in 6 years my car has had one suspension part replaced as for being the most expensive repair

All 4 corners to replace in the abc is less then $4000 and that
Will never happen-----

So by comparison these cars are ultra reliable for what they offer
That is complete BS... sorry. I replaced my front rotors on my CL65 at about 35K miles. There is no way you were on the original rotors at 83K miles...and they were good for another 80K miles .

Were you the original owner? If not, how would you be able to tell that they were the orginals? The car is massive, 4,650lbs without passengers....the laws of physics apply...and the brakes will get used just like any other vehicle. When you blatantly lie/wildly exaggerate about something it diminishes any credibility that you have.

Tom
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by TopEndS62
I sold the my E55 and am ready for something more uncommon. Now I know that the price on some of the CL65s out there has dropped almost by half. The price of a pre-owned 2008 cl65 is about the same as a brand new 2012 cls 63. However I know the CLS 63 will depreciate faster and be less common. Does any one know how rare the CL65s are? production numbers?

thanks
I wouldn't be so sure about the depreciation aspect, at least in the next 3 years. What killed the W215 CL65's value was three-fold:

1. The W216 body style came out in 2007, which killed the W215 resale value. The CL is such a prestige-type car....it losses that prestige if it isn't the newest thing available.

2. Large coupes have less appeal than four door sedans. People can justify the sedan as a family car to their significant others... a large coupe is a harder sell.

3. The biggest jump in depreciation for the W215 CL65 is when the manufacturers warranty ran out.

The reason I am bringing up the issues with the W215 CL65 is that the W216 CL65 will face the same challenges in the next couple of years. The CL will likely be redesigned for the '13 MY and the values of the W216s will plummet. The CLS63 is being totally redesigned for the '12 MY and will have a longer shelf life. It may also experience depreciation, but not as fast as you would think. I would bet that as soon as the next CL is released, an '08 W216 CL65 values will be below $50K, especially since the MB warranty will have expired by that time. A '12 CLS63 will likely hold at least 50% of its value until its warranty has expired. If you plan on holding either car more than 4 years, I would think the values would be pretty close at that point. Otherwise, the CLS63 may be the safer bet.

Tom
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by TMC M5
I wouldn't be so sure about the depreciation aspect, at least in the next 3 years. What killed the W215 CL65's value was three-fold:

1. The W216 body style came out in 2007, which killed the W215 resale value. The CL is such a prestige-type car....it losses that prestige if it isn't the newest thing available.

2. Large coupes have less appeal than four door sedans. People can justify the sedan as a family car to their significant others... a large coupe is a harder sell.

3. The biggest jump in depreciation for the W215 CL65 is when the manufacturers warranty ran out.

The reason I am bringing up the issues with the W215 CL65 is that the W216 CL65 will face the same challenges in the next couple of years. The CL will likely be redesigned for the '13 MY and the values of the W216s will plummet. The CLS63 is being totally redesigned for the '12 MY and will have a longer shelf life. It may also experience depreciation, but not as fast as you would think. I would bet that as soon as the next CL is released, an '08 W216 CL65 values will be below $50K, especially since the MB warranty will have expired by that time. A '12 CLS63 will likely hold at least 50% of its value until its warranty has expired. If you plan on holding either car more than 4 years, I would think the values would be pretty close at that point. Otherwise, the CLS63 may be the safer bet.

Tom
Thank Tom.. Great info. According to my research the CL-models are going to be discontinued and will be superseded with a S-class coupe (same difference I know). You made a really good point with the '12 CLS63. I just want a pretty up to date rare AMG.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by TopEndS62
Thank Tom.. Great info. According to my research the CL-models are going to be discontinued and will be superseded with a S-class coupe (same difference I know). You made a really good point with the '12 CLS63. I just want a pretty up to date rare AMG.
They've been saying that for a while and it has not happened. I am sure it will be sooner or later though. The truth is, there really isn't that big of a market for the CL. I think MB just uses this car more as a test bed to introduce/showcase their latest and greatest technologies.

I know most people here have 215s and I agree it was a beautiful car 10 years ago but as soon as the 216 came out it really made the 215 look dated. I see 215s everywhere 500,600, 55, but never 65.

I think what 65number1 is trying to say is that it is all relative. For a car with 600hp and limited production, it costs less to maintain and is more reliable than other limited produced 600+hp cars.

By the way, even though all 65s are extremely rare, to most people, it is just a MB.

With the new M157, with dual clutch 7 speed there would be no need for the M275. The 275 is old technology that MB uses to match up with Bentley on paper. They talked about retiring the 275 a few years ago but I guess decided not to because MB really needed a V12TT in their top dog lineup to compete with the elites.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by TMC M5

Tom
Yes. I agree with you almost completely. However, the reason why the 215s value's dropped is not just because of the 216 but more to do with quality, reliability, and cost of maintanence.

The w220 and w215 had horrible build quality. It wasn't until the introduction of the then new Bangle BMWs, Audi, and Lexus that forced MB to put the quality back in their top lineup.
The new CLS63 might be the car to have for "right now" but 3 years later, it will be flooded just like the old 219 and looked at as just another reskinned E. I thought the 2006 219 was the most gorgeous car when it came out but now I think I rather own the VW cc.

If the OP wants a 216, I'd wait 8 months until the 2012 CL are out and go to the dealer and pick up a new or demo 2011 CL for a big discount. The test results for the new CL550 4matic are unreal. 4.2 to 60 and 12.7 at 109 in the 1/4!

Last edited by zelement; 06-28-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I can say I have had the pleasure of owning a lot of 65's. And a lot of AMG's. And I have put many miles on them. This Including a s55 with over 130k miles and a s600 with just shy of 200k mies. I have kept most of these cars around to drive and then sell later on so I haven't owned one since new and I wouldn't buy one new even though i could unfortunately afford to do so.

So the question is this. Are they reliable?

Well my current cl65 leaks not a drop of oil. Has had one real abc repair in 95k miles. A line replacement is $388.....Struts are the most expensive part. And my current car has had one replaced.

Possibly the owners whom have had these issues are driving their cars less and maybe when they do they drive them like a rally car?? Idk. But i do the opposite so maybe I am just fortunate

The rotors and coils are good for 80k miles or 5-6 years--- are you kidding? This is considered doomed repair costs on this car? You do realize it is a 604hp car and offers a ride and performance no other car in world does at the same time???

Total cost of maintenance items on my car to date in the last 6 years-----
New rotors and 3 sets of pads $2600
New coil packs and plugs and center module $2800
Total cost $5400 in 6 years and 95k miles or less then $1000 a year

My Lexus Ls430
2005 105k miles
4 sets of pads and 2 sets of rotors $1800
1 command center $1700
New transmission $2300
2 alternators $750
2 fuel pumps $980
2 tune ups including injector flushes $475
$$$$$$. Which cost more?

Out of all the AMG's i have owned. I personally have never done a abc repair and I have again shall I say this. Over 20 abc equipped cars.....

Am I lucky? Am I just picking great cars??
No freaking way

1. I do not run over potholes and beat my cars silly. I do race them on the street and at the track on occasion
2. I ALWAYS leave the Sport mode setting on
3. I rarely put extra weight in the car
4. I don't turn into corners at 60 mph forcing the car to rely on it's suspension to damper the ride

Are they a super car? It depends on supercar on definition
I qualify a supercar as a car capable of handling and braking and acceleration above a normal mass produced High Performance car

1.My Cl65 handles excellent. I will run against anything short of a Viper ACS on the street. It will have understeer and oversteer but this car will out handle any performance car I can throw at it--- done it!!!!
2. Ungoverned my car will top out at just above 204 mph----- hmmmm you do the thinking on the comparison there. A LEXUS LFA hits 202 mph
3. Then braking is above and beyond any performance car I can think of short of a ZR1----which is a another supercar
4. The acceleration is beyond anything High Performance

Performance cars are ones like a Camaro SS or Gt500 or GT3 or RS4 or

Power is not just where the car excels. I sold a modified GTR to keep the CL65--- made no sense to keep two coupes...so I know apples from oranges

My CL65 weighs just a hair more then a Bugatti Veyron and it is the second most powerful car next to it

To top it off the 65's are rarer in terms of a supercar then most super cars...

Not to mention the engine alone in the 65's are valued at more then $80k new as a replacement as well.... Is that just a lurxury car with straight line performance? Not worthy of anything more then that?

Some people dont buy the cars based on knowledge of what it is not just the fact of repair issues they are concerned about... Every time a M5 guy or CTS-V guy or a C63 guy rolls up to my car. They stare with a very very strange look--- I am sure thinking "wow that car looks very cool. More so then mine. What is a CL65? I have never seen one before---- then realizing via ebay .....omg. That car cost $40k??? Wow. It looks like a $125k car". I have been told that at 3 Mercedes dealers and a BMW Dealer as well as a few car shows.....many are in disbelief the car is so cheap. Ignorance is bliss. I learned a few years back about these cars from reading about them in magazines. So I said one day I will own this supercar. And I have owned many and not one regret and one single repair bill that exceeded anything that wasn't normal for even my Lexus.

Takes one to own many to know them
You are literally too stupid and full of **** to insult.

retarded munk, back for more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w216 CL65 and its rarity